TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for my inaugural ride and camp trip on the TW. I’m set to for 240+ miles of northeast Texas cotton and cow towns. Starting in Midlothian, TX and finishing on the Trinity River near downtown Dallas. Along the way I’ll be keeping my eye out anything of historic or architectural interest. The bike is still largely stock. I have added an Action Packer, LED brake light, and a Coleman seat pad. Usually when I’m road tripping with the family, we’re all too anxious to stop and take in the back country sights. So this trip is dedicated to those sights. What Google Maps says is a 5 hour trip is going to take me 2 days. I’ve got gas stations, banks, school houses, trestles, a depot, and a ton of dirt road to explore and photograph. I’ll spend my night tarp camping at Purtis Creek SP, something I’ve also never done before. I'll be departing early next week if the weather permits, but I'll be checking back in with pics of my load plan updates and a shakedown of the tarp tent setup before I leave. This is why I bought this bike, to enjoy things off the beaten path, and I can't wait.

The Route

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, thank you LT. I've done nothing but take from this forum so far. I just hope I can equally return the favor.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Lookin' forward to a little Texas ride report, learning about some history, buildings and stuff. As big as the state is, you'd think we'd hear more. :p

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
It's just that you have it planned so well, with the main emphasis on taking your time, and going and getting the history info, and pics that we all love on this forum. I really am looking forward to this one. God Bless you TW brother and have a great time. Drive slow so you can take lots of pictures! :)

Lots of good folks on this forum, everyones so helpful.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
not sure what your overnight temps are but dress and stay warm! Enjoy and look forward to seeing your pics....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes! Giddyup! Can't wait for the report! I'll live vicariously through you as my Minnesota riding season comes to a cold end. Watch out for natyre's speed bump...the armadillo!
Cheers!
Patrick

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the tarp tent all finished. Practiced configuring it in my front yard by the light of my front porch flood lights tonight. I've got three main configurations that I'll post pictures of with a DIY write up come Monday when I've got some spare daylight again. $30 well spent. Temps are dipping down the two days I'll be gone. Good, the tarp tent needs a challenge.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All right. Thanks to Elime for the o-rings, I got the starter resealed. Hopefully I can finally take a break from mopping up oil stains of my garage floor. I've really got to get that ebay bolt kit for the engine. Those phillips heads are pissing me off. Here's some pics of the load plan and the tarp tent.

DSCF0310_zps5a9afa64.jpg
DSCF0311_zpse760f361.jpg
DSCF0321_zpse8efff04.jpg

I'd call it more of a lean to. The idea is to reflect heat from your camp fire off the silver lining onto you while the strategically aimed tarp deflects cold wind and rain off your sleeping pad. I'm very curious to see how dry I'll stay from condensation. Right now in Texas, morning dew is blanketing everything as the temps drop. Hopefully with it's open configuration and proximity to the camp fire I'll be spared from a soaked wake up. I'll cozy up for a bit to see how well the heat reflection pays off, that way if need be I can reconfigure to a more enclosed setup to try and retain some body heat. My materials were a 10 mil 8x10 tarp, 3/4" diameter 400 psi schedule 40 pvc, x4 couplings, two caps, some nylon cord, and finally a handful of 10" galvanized spikes. $30 grand total. I cut the pvc into four 12" lengths and two 9" lengths. I fastened a 3/4" sheet rock screw into the two caps as tarp/guy line catch. Minus the 10" spikes, the kit rolled up as a bundle is extremely light. When I eventually get around to it, I'll get some plastic tent spikes for a lighter replacement.

Here's the weather I'm in store for. Fun. I'll be loading up on fire wood after I make camp.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I can't wait for your ride reports and pics. That's quite a load on the back and I don't see a rack. Is all that on the subframe that is only supposidly good for 7lbs? Hope you don't break your bike bro..
Otherwise, looks like you are ready to go. When are you headed out?
I used lean-to's for years, always enjoyed them, they do pretty good. I never had one of those fancy lean-to's like yours, back in the olden days we had to use a tarp, a rope, find a couple trees to tie between and find some rocks to put in the corners and edges to hold it down. ;)
Have a great ride, and keep us posted!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And more

DSCF0318_zpsf92890f4.jpg
DSCF0320_zps5dded1c7.jpg
DSCF0322_zps3c48a6d2.jpg
DSCF0324_zps9b341863.jpg
PCRC-1_zps5e0dec06.png

I utilized leftover pvc to make guy line stays and stake blocks. The stakes with blocks are the rear two stakes. Then I assemble the tent poles with the screw head up top to catch the tarp eyelet and guy line. Tuck the corners of the tarp that hang out past the overhead so that they won't collect water, and presto. It's about a two minute process. Probably will take a lot longer to tear down and pack up, but still a great emergency shelter in a pinch if you had to travel light.

At the bottom is a copy of my trip card that I'm laminating. For this trip there's four of them total. I'll have my road map, but no gps. iPhone fell out while riding down the road a few weeks ago. I have enough main highways close by that if I get turned around I can find my out of the back woods, but hopefully I won't miss any of my intended dirt roads that I'm aiming for. I'm going to avoid the highways as much as humanly possible.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I can't wait for your ride reports and pics. That's quite a load on the back and I don't see a rack. Is all that on the subframe that is only supposidly good for 7lbs? Hope you don't break your bike bro..
Otherwise, looks like you are ready to go. When are you headed out?
I used lean-to's for years, always enjoyed them, they do pretty good.
Have a great ride, and keep us posted!! :)
No rack, just subframe. The Action Packer is bolted to it as well. I think I remember seeing a post about the weight limit being because of Yamaha legal liability reasons. Pushing down on it seems to pass the sturdiness test, lol. It's a really light load anyway. The heaviest item is my spare fuel, I'd guess all together maybe 20lbs. It's just tall. I don't plan on traveling faster than 40-50mph. I'm going to try and push the mpg to see what Clyde can do loaded up on a trip. I'm heading out first thing in the morning. Did you ever have any condensation problems with lean-to's next to campfires?

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Yeah, it looked tall alright, looks like it would pull wheelies all the way if you were not careful. I used the lean-to's about 40 years ago, I can remember getting wet sometimes due to weather but tarps were different back then too. I remember using old oiled fabric tarps from the military, not the ones sold commonly today. I think you have the advantage nowdays with the reflective side and better materials. You are going to have fun, even if you got soaked, it's all an adventure, right? I'd be right there with ya if my body could handle it anymore on the ground!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And some more

Here's another configuration I was messing with. The peak can be raised or lowered based on conditions. This setup still gives you some heat reflection but also more complete coverage.
DSCF0325_zpsa2be5ca4.jpg
DSCF0326_zpsb44f4245.jpg
DSCF0327_zps80394af8.jpg
DSCF0329_zps784482b1.jpg

·
Registered
503 Posts
MCC, #1- can't wait for the RR! #2-love the tent approach. Cheap, only what you need, easily replaced/repaired, multi- configurable. I don't see you having trouble with condensation so long as you place it right according to the prevailing wind. Generally speaking, a placement with the exposed side facing East is the rule of thumb. Winds outta the west, helps shield the campfire, sun exposure at first light. #3- although I am willingly accept the weight, I don't like the load. Lower is better. Oddly enough, I know a guy that can help you out with this. (Wink wink, nudge nudge). #4-from the sounds of things, you've got the right attitude for an adventure. Have fun, take pics, be safe. Post up when you get back. TIM

1 - 20 of 71 Posts