TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought two plastic side panels off ebay. When the arrived the left side cover's eyelets for the hold down screws were both broken.

Here is what one of them looked like:
PC110017.JPG

After long hours of deep thought I went to Ace Hardware and bought 4 nylon washers -- 20 cents each -- 86 cents total with tax. For glue I decided to use whatever I had on the shelf.
PC110018.JPG

The plan: Glue the nylon washer over the broken part and hope it all holds together.
PC110019.JPG

Apply glue and gently clamp together. Wait. Two or three hours and it is pretty well stuck together but max. strength isn't for 24 hours. So I set it aside after I removed the clamp and will leave it alone for at least 24 hours.
PC110020.JPG

This is what it looked like after I removed the clamp. I guess the washer slid a little bit but I don't care. The screw that holds it together has a very broad head and who the heck ever looks down there anyway?
PC110021.JPG

A picture from the backside. I could take a Dremel and neaten up a little bit but why bother? No one other than those that look at these pictures will ever know.

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts
Also, I was thinking some tiny gauge wire might help alongside your repair wrapped through and around in a couple places. Great job though, thinking out of the box rather than buying a new one.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
clever tony!
... but not my favorite clever repair i've seen you make. all time fav is your double busted clutch lever patched with shell casings and JB weld; in a word: awesome!

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well done.
Gute idea.
Excellent idea elime!

I am sure your idea will help others. Good job.
Great job though, thinking out of the box rather than buying a new one.
clever tony!
... but not my favorite clever repair i've seen you make. all time fav is your double busted clutch lever patched with shell casings and JB weld; in a word: awesome!
What a rip off
Thank you all!!!! Your kind words are greatly appreciated.

joeband -- That was a .30-'06 (thirty ought six) shell casing -- I use only the best!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts