TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I need the plastic side covers for an 88 TW. I've found some expensive one's in Japan but don't want to spend that much. Any clues as to where I can find some cheap reproduction side covers? Used ones would be ok as long as they don't have silly shipping cost's. Thanks for any help............Ian

·
Registered
20,477 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Hi all. I need the plastic side covers for an 88 TW. I've found some expensive one's in Japan but don't want to spend that much. Any clues as to where I can find some cheap reproduction side covers? Used ones would be ok as long as they don't have silly shipping cost's. Thanks for any help............Ian
Silly shipping costs is a good way of saying it but knowing where the shipment is going to may have a large affect on those costs. When ever I sell stuff, TW related or other, I try real hard to charge as close to actual shipping as it costs. East coast to the west gets pretty costly and I refuse to even ship out of this country because of the outrageous costs coupled with all the BS paperwork for customs.

You may want to tell us where you are Ian and you might find you have close by members that just might have what you are looking for.

GaryL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. If all year models are the same new genuine seem to be cheaper than some used on ebay. Ta............................Ian

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. If all year models are the same new genuine seem to be cheaper than some used on ebay. Ta............................Ian
As far as I know all years have the same fitment so the question becomes, do you want the exact year decals, color scheme and must they be in near perfect condition.

Now that we know you are down under the silly shipping cost is in fact a major concern. I tried to purchase various parts from sellers in your country but the expense of shipping was highly prohibitive.

Go back to Fred's post because there are many dismantle rs in your country and plenty of older TWs on the chopping blocks. You do have to be careful because there are differences between the Japan/EU models and those sold in the US but I don't believe the differences extend to plastic fitment.

GaryL

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Good observation Ian that used e-bay items may be more expensive than new.

As far as shipping costs go some side panels from US can fit into an international flat rate envelope or box for a semi-reasonable ~$24 US if shipped by a private party not wishing to gouge you.

Priority Mail International Flat Rate Products
Free SuppliesShipping Price From*Dimensions
Small Flat Rate Envelope$22.75 commercial base $23.95 at Post Office (retail & online)10" x 6"
Padded Flat Rate Envelope$22.75 commercial base $23.95 at Post Office (retail & online)12 1/2" x 9 1/2"

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Shipping to Canada costs too. I sold some stuff to a fellow forum member and split the shipping with him. When he went to pick it up there was an additional "$25 duty or VAT" charge. What started out as a decent deal became not so good. I offered to split the $25 with him but he refused.

Next time I ship something north of the border it is getting a declared value of $10 and I am putting a birthday card in with the parts and calling it all a gift -- not that any of that will do any good but I will try.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Shipping to Canada costs too. I sold some stuff to a fellow forum member and split the shipping with him. When he went to pick it up there was an additional "$25 duty or VAT" charge. What started out as a decent deal became not so good. I offered to split the $25 with him but he refused.

Next time I ship something north of the border it is getting a declared value of $10 and I am putting a birthday card in with the parts and calling it all a gift -- not that any of that will do any good but I will try.

Canadian Border Guard to forum member ejfranz upon his return to Canada from the U.S.

CBG: "Is that a motorcycle inner you're trying to smuggle into the country?" he said with a very intimidating voice and facial expression.

ejfranz: "Nope, it's a belated birthday gift...I swear"! :D

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I am still trying to figure out all of this On Line buying and selling. Sure it is easy to find what you want and just have it shipped to your door but more and more I am finding most companies are both charging state sales taxes as well as exorbitant shipping and handling charges bringing the price of the item higher than it might have been if you found it locally. An item hawked on the TV for $19.99 by the time it gets to you ends up right around $34 and no big savings at all. How many times have all of us needed a few tiny carb parts that cost a grand total of $8.00 and after the shipping it is over $17.

Really the only places I am finding any On Line deals are in the big box stores that have catalogs and offer free shipping to the store for In Store pick up.

GaryL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts