TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
54 year old male, have just acquired a >1400 mile '04. Bone stock strong runner.

Currently non rider, this first bike is to be the learner.

Looking at riding lessons at the local community college.

I have owned primarily manual transmission trucks, and currently ride bicycles, so hope the clutch and balance juju will transfer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There's a reason most motorcycle schools have the TW in their arsenal. Easy to ride, easy to fix, light weight and just enough power to get you riding on secondary hwys (55mph). I had a 1200cc sportbike and love my TW. It is the one bike that I'll keep as others will probably come and go. Good luck and best wishes! These are stupidly fun bikes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Welcome Alan!

You're very smart to look into lessons. Might that be a MSF course? I took mine at a local community college and it was more than worth the money.

I came to motorcycling with similar experience in driving manual cages and riding bicycles, and while some skills certainly transfer motorcycling is a whole different skill set and a MSF class is probably the best way to get a running start up that learning curve.

Enjoy your TW and keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Must admit I don't know if it's an MSF course, or indeed what an MSF course is. Judging from the brochure, they use Honda Rebels...I'm not that tall, and the Rebel is still too cramped for me.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
MSF is motorcycle safety course - sponsored by the Motorcycle Industry to promote cycle and safety - both good things. It will be that and should be because the MSF cert will help get your state permit and get an insurance discount.
Your pedal bike experience will serve you well (defensive, but not counting on speed to safe your butt, attentive, and prepared for all kinds of weather). Don't brake in the turns, and watch for obstacles. What else is there? Ride it slowly around and around city streets until you get the shifting, balance, and control coordination. Then go for the highway and high traffic areas if you wish. Good riding. Tom

·
Registered
323 Posts
Greetings and welcome!

MSF= Motorcycle Safety Foundation
TW's are great learner bikes, used at many places for beginner courses. I took my MSF course on a Rebel 250 (I was disappointed to find out they didn't use TW's) and the ergonomics are fairly similar. The Rebel has a lower seat height by a couple of inches and the footpegs are a bit more forward if I remember correctly. The TW has a more upright seating position. Of course with your TW if you find it a bit cramped as well there are always handlebar risers and even different handlebars you can add to make the ergonomics more comfortable. I'm 5'11" and the TW is great, but I'd still like to add risers to make it even better. Lots of taller individuals ride them and with the proper adjustments the ergos are fine.

The learner courses are great, and even when finished with that I spent quite a few days tooling around a parking lot for even more practice (and still do). Low speed maneuvering and emergency braking are skills that always come in handy. :)

Have fun and enjoy your new TW!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm also 5' 11", and "so far" which just consists of sitting on it and practicing the controls, it seems fine. I realize this is hardly definitive.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Welcome Alan.

Your choice of TW200 is a good one. As mentioned above, "stupidly fun" is right on the money. So easy to tune to your liking, and doesn't have to cost a lot of money.

What part of the world are you located?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
a man of wealth and fame..... your reputation proceeds you.
congrats on your new t-dub

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, tentative to weather holding up and being able to get off work, I should be taking accredited MSF lessons 06-08 DEC 13.

Will have to travel around 100 miles and put up in a motel for 2 nights, but the local college has lessons booked into JUL 14...sheesh! Course itself is 2 bills, and instructor is prompt and communicative in EMails, so I get a positive vibe.

Got the new title one week to the day after application, and error free.

Good stuff so far. If everything goes right, I should be riding before New Years '14.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Alan... I'm in a similar situation, right down to the 2004 pristine (100 mi, immaculately preserved) bike!

I rode a TW200 3 years ago in a MSF course... One thing led to another and I let the cert expire without getting the license! Now I have a shiny-new learner's permit, and my shiny-new-to-me TW is waiting for pickup when I get a break from work to get to my Dad's (who is riding its tires off in favor of the BMW or KLR, I might add!)

Welcome to us both!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Excellent Alan, good luck with your class.
I'm 60, had some type of 2 wheeler since 15 years old.
I really like my TW and my XR650L.
Happy riding New Year's Eve, haha.
VDR

·
Registered
601 Posts
welcome mate.

your lucky, in the uk as a learner you cant ride above a 125! then you have to do a CBT (compulsory basic training) followed by a theory test followed by a practical then for 2 years you have to ride restricted to 33bhp before being unlimited!

·
Registered
132 Posts
It has been my expirance both with myself and my teenage sons that off road riding is the best way to learn to physically handle a bike. Of course the class is important for a beginner too. What your body learns slipping around on wet grass or crossing rock or roots cannot be tought in a class. Also the penalty for failing is far less then on road. I'd rather a student slip due to an overturn or braking too hard or whatever and get tossed off in the weeds than on the highway. Riding off road almost all the factors that contribute to a successful ride are in your own control. Riding on road you are responsible for the control of your bike AND defense against cars, people and even dogs. (Dogs seem to be more of a threat than any wild animals). Oh yeah and it all happens at faster more fatal speeds.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just following up

OK, tentative to weather holding up and being able to get off work, I should be taking accredited MSF lessons 06-08 DEC 13.

Will have to travel around 100 miles and put up in a motel for 2 nights, but the local college has lessons booked into JUL 14...sheesh! Course itself is 2 bills, and instructor is prompt and communicative in EMails, so I get a positive vibe.

Got the new title one week to the day after application, and error free.

Good stuff so far. If everything goes right, I should be riding before New Years '14.

Sooo.... How did the lessons go? Are you licensed to operate a motorcycle in the state you live in ? What's the rest of the story?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts