TW200 Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Well... sorry to keep y'all waiting but I just got her running today.
I took the carb to the Yamaha dealer just outside of elizabethtown, ky and the lady there said they have an excellent carb guy.
I asked if they had a sonic cleaner and she said yes.... so three days later, they call me and I picked it up today. He said it had the wrong jet in it and there was a few things missing, blocked passages e.t.c.
It cost $146.00
I got home put it on and using the choke it started up right away.
And runs great.
I did add a small sediment bowl type fuel filter to try to make sure no garbage gets into the carb.
Im as happy as can be. It costs a bunch, but I can ride it now. I couldn't bring myself to put a China carb on it. I rather keep the original carb too.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well... sorry to keep y'all waiting but I just got her running today.
I took the carb to the Yamaha dealer just outside of elizabethtown, ky and the lady there said they have an excellent carb guy.
I asked if they had a sonic cleaner and she said yes.... so three days later, they call me and I picked it up today. He said it had the wrong jet in it and there was a few things missing, blocked passages e.t.c.
It cost $146.00
I got home put it on and using the choke it started up right away.
And runs great.
I did add a small sediment bowl type fuel filter to try to make sure no garbage gets into the carb.
Im as happy as can be. It costs a bunch, but I can ride it now. I couldn't bring myself to put a China carb on it. I rather keep the original carb too.
Thanks all!
Glad to hear its running good again. Personally i would love to crush every chinese carb. They are such junk and cause so many people grief. The oem carb can't be beat and is very much worth repair. Parts are available for the oem. China carbs many times will not fit oem jets.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'm glad you got it going and are riding the bike. That makes it seem worth the money. Keeping the trash out with the fuel filter is a great idea. I installed a fuel filter after my first tank rinse and flush. I have only rebuilt the carb 1 time in 46,000 miles. I do have a tank liner as well which I think also keeps the rust out of the tank.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm glad you got it going and are riding the bike. That makes it seem worth the money. Keeping the trash out with the fuel filter is a great idea. I installed a fuel filter after my first tank rinse and flush. I have only rebuilt the carb 1 time in 46,000 miles. I do have a tank liner as well which I think also keeps the rust out of the tank.
You have a tw with 46,000 miles on it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sweet zombie jesus thats the most miles ive ever seen on a tw. What year is it? Hows the rest of it holding up?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sweet zombie jesus thats the most miles ive ever seen on a tw. What year is it? Hows the rest of it holding up?
It is all holding up well. My exhaust valve was leaking at 42,000 miles, the cam chain guides were worn and replaced but everything else looked really good. Someone else hit around 50,000 miles, threw the timing and messed up some stuff so I think they replaced the engine. I'm suspecting that about the 40-42,000 mile mark is time to begin watching the cam chain tension more often to prevent that. To me it appeared that with the timing chain guides getting worn it is probably a good idea to take it apart and evaluate them since they could cause the timing to jump, check or redo the valves, and check your overall cylinder for wear while your at it. I replaced the base gasket and related gaskets. I am not sure if the timing chain guides is the technical term but I am referring to the 2 plastic guides on either side of the timing chain. My bike has been used mostly on side streets but I run it up full throttle pretty often and don't put around taking off.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts