TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 2006 TW200 and the gas tank has some rust. Any suggestions and can anyone tell me if the original tank is ALUMINUM?

I only ask because Ive seen many DIY YOUTUBE videos that use different types of ACIDs or APPLE CIDER Vinegar to clear out the Rust.

PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Welcome!! :D

Reactions: Jon62602

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
If you see rust.... It is steel.

Fill it with Apple cider vinegar for a week or two.

Resist the urge to coat the tank with anything.
Fill it with gas and ride it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
The cheap way is to get 2 gallons of vinegar from Walmart and let it soak in the tank 2 to 24 hours, depending on how much rust. It does a pretty good job but leaves the metal bare and it will rust again eventually.

The expensive / labor intensive / messy way is to get a POR-15 Tank Restoration Kit. I have used it on 2 tanks and have gotten EXCELLENT results both times.

Two things, first have a can of Chemtool and a rag handy. If you get the tank sealer on the outside of the tank spray the rag with Chemtool and wipe off immediately! The second thing, the kit comes with a sponge type brush. Use a dowel or something like it and extend the handle so you can reach the bottom of the tank. The last step will then be to mop up the excess sealer that flows to the bottom.

POR-15 Motorcycle Fuel Tank Repair Kit

Before:
P2041261s.jpg

After:
P2191270.JPG

·
Registered
548 Posts
I repair generator tanks all the time that are completely rusted inside. The best product I have found todate is the POR 15. Kit is complete and has the marine clean, the metal ready, U.S. standard fuel tank sealer, and patch fabric for large holes. Part # is POR-15/CK. This will clean and repair your tank and leave it better then new inside as it leaves a liner inside the tank and you will never have rust again! Other way is to replace it with a good used tank or up-grade to a large volume Clark tank.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I used the Kreem tank liner kit. I bought the auto kit which was enough to do two bikes. It removed all rust, even the heavy rust. It also sealed pinholes which I didn't know were there. I would have been leaking gas had I not sealed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts