TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an oem Yamaha fuel petcock on ebay.
Took it out of box and noticed it has a clear piece of rubber tubing over the longer strainer. Is this just there for packaging so strainer doesn't get damaged? The short strainer doesn't have it over it.

Also I noticed some other aftermarket strainers on eBay come with to tiny o rings and 2 red washers. Do I need to purchase them as well? My oem came with rubber gasket but not the little o rings and washers. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
385 Posts
A) if that tube isn't gas resistant, it will be flotsam [ or is it jetsom] in the tank. Take it off before install.
2) That tube [my opinion] is for shipping protection. Prolly on the longer one since it will likely rub the package more than the short one.

I think all you need is the rubber gasket. They ship with what they [most commonly] need, or if none is in the box/package, you have to order it. Sounds like you have what you need.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
That is packing to protect the fine filter if it does not have a built in O-rings on the petcock and you are putting on stock metal tank you will need the o-rings.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oem pet cock that arrived has the shaped gasket attached to it. But I stumbled over an aftermarket tdub pet cock that has 2 mini o rings and also some rubber washers? Here is a pic of the after aftermarket one that comes with 2 mini o rings and 2 red washers.
Do I need to purchase them separate? Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Toss the tube. It's packing material, for protection.
You don't need O rings. Your original screws will have washers on them, between the screw head and the petcock. The new gasket seals everything up.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much!

Does the tank have to be removed or just pump out the gas?

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I drained the gas out of the tank on the bike with the petcock and fuel hose into a empty gas can. then removed the tank.
Thanks so much!

Does the tank have to be removed or just pump out the gas?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Well, if you drained the tank, you don't have to remove it, but I've never replaced or rebuilt a petcock on a tank that didn't at least need a good rinse with clean gas to dump dirt out the bottom.

Normally I keep the crud out of the bottom of my tanks by using a small diameter fuel line hose clamped to the end of a long screwdriver or wooden dowel. Start the siphon and gently chase the gunk around until it goes up the hose. Just a part of my regular maintenance that prevents petcock, filter, and carb problems.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
This is what I did with my very cheap Chinese petcock and gasket.

The gaskets and o-rings that came with the petcock.

P6071307.JPG

I looked at the tank where the petcock bolts on and noticed a groove that the black o-ring just fits into.

P6071309.JPG

So I put the bolts through the holes on the petcock with the red gasket in place and on the other side the small o-ring.

P6071310.JPG P6071311.JPG

A little blurry but all assembled.

P6071304 (2).JPG

So far no leaks. Tony

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for the pics elime!
I wish I would have seen this before I replaced it.
I was able to reuse those red washers,but the originals were black and in decent shape
The orings must have been down in the groves because I didnt even notice them,must have blended in with the black tank
Ever since I replaced the pet cock the bike stalls when giving it a quick roll of the throttle?
Maybe some dirt got in the carb? Taking it to my guy soon for carb rebuild and cleaning. Hope he can sort it all out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts