TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the bike market and planning to purchase a TW asap. what should I consider . Can someone answer my following concerns;
  • What is the best year
  • is there any color scheme for the specific year/model
  • What is the market price for a re-condition TW200 or TW220
  • Is there a specific chassis number range ?
  • Anything else ? :)
Thanx in advance

FYI : And I'm from Sri lanka (South Asia)

Is there a certain year when important upgrades and improvements were made etc...

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
SL, i was all set to send you to some links to information here on the site since your questions are recurring frequently here. But then I realized that most of the stuff that relates to US spec machines is probably not the same there, especially color schemes, and maybe the other things too. So, I'm going to stand down. Someone here may know this, but I don't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your kind response. can you give some link to reference. Because in my country most of the TW bikes are re-conditions (from japan I guess)

·
Registered
567 Posts
But then I realized that most of the stuff that relates to US spec machines is probably not the same there, especially color schemes, and maybe the other things too. Someone here may know this, but I don't.
I think (and don't quote me on this, because there is no way to know unless you had access to Yamaha internal documents) that all pre 1999 TW200's EXPORT bikes had the same color schemes whether (U49- U49 is the main export configuration and stands for USA 49 states) or not. A 1995 rainbow warrior is the same in the US as it is in Australia and South Africa and probably any other EXPORT destination. Of course the safety labeling differs but the basic paint an plastic is the same. Now starting I believe, in 1996 The Japanese domestic market (JDM) TW200's had optional colors that were never available on EXPORT bikes, and JDM was never able to get the export graphics from 96 on. 1995 and older JDM were (I believe) the same as the export bikes. Starting in 1999 Europe got their own colors, and JDM continued to have their own colors. Europe bikes ceased production in 2004, JDM ceased in 2007. All other export markets shared the U49 graphics schemes (I'm guessing). After model year 2007, The only TW's being sold NEW on the planet are (U49) to the North American market, and California models to Cal. Only the U49, and Cal models have been sold continuously, uninterrupted production since the 1987 Model year, All other market have had either/mostly interrupted lineages and are discontinued completely as of 2007 (I'm guessing).
Starting in late 1998, the JDM received the round headlight, cowl was dropped
Starting in 1999, the EU received a front disk brake, an alloy rear hub, and electrical upgrades
Starting in 2000, the JDM received a front disk brake, and electrical upgrades
Starting in 2001, the U49 and all exports received a front disk brake, and electrical upgrades, gone was the kickstart
Starting in 2002, the JDM received 25 more CC's (stroked), a new rear subframe, and smaller rear fender
All JDM have kickstart

(read further on next page...)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi,
I'm also from sri lanka. I may be able to help you out.

As per my understanding Sri Lanka gets only TW200E which is the japanese domestic model. Meaning these are specifically manufactured for japanese domestic market and not intended for export. So these have significant feature and appearance differences with US,EU or other markets. YAMAHA Sri Lanka never officially imported TW200 or TW225 to Sri Lanka. But they will supply you with parts if you inquire them :)

This is my model analysis for

TW200E

1987 - First Introduced in Japan
1998 - Received the round headlight, cowl was dropped (quoted from TWrider)
1999 - All other markets loose the kickstart but JDM does not.
2000 - Front Disc brake and electrical upgrades but never lost Kick Statrter like other markets.

As far as i know the latest re-condition model you can have in SL(No one imports brand new) is 2007. which has the engine no starting from G315E and chassis from BA-DG07J. (2006 is the same range)
I've got a 2006 model.

Price right now varies around Rs. 350,000/= :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much Borneo, Twrider and Indika for your Tips

@indika - I've little concern, about the TW market in sri lanka there are many 2010, 2012 models available and the price range is around 2.5 -3.0 (reference to autolanka, ikman, etc..)

-regards

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thank you very much Borneo, Twrider and Indika for your Tips

@indika - I've little concern, about the TW market in sri lanka there are many 2010, 2012 models available and the price range is around 2.5 -3.0 (reference to autolanka, ikman, etc..)

-regards
lol those are not 2010-2012 models machan..! Those are registered in Sri Lanka in 3 - 4 years ago..! most morons here mix up the registered and manufactured years when it comes to these bikes..!
I've seen a genuine 2012 model bike here once, But it was a personal import from japan..!

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I don't know about anyone else guys, but I find this all very interesting. I've often wondered if people from other countries realize how avidly some of us read the interesting information on TW's from other countries and the information not generally available to us. And, as Fred always says..."we love pictures":D

·
Registered
567 Posts
OK INDIKA666, I have a few questions.

I was under the impression that the 200E was dropped once the TW225 was introduced in 2002.
That is what I gathered from the Yamaha JDM site, (of course I don't read Japanese, so it's hard to tell unless there is pictures).
If you have any info that they continued production of 200E's past the introduction of the 225 that would be good to know.

When you say you saw a 2012 model, could that be a 2012 Export model? (graphics like the 2012 U49 bikes)
Or are you saying it was a 2012 JDM model?

It seems to me that Japan dictates that once vehicle reaches a certain age, many are recycled or dumped on developing markets...There are so many in your classified page that they have to be coming over by organized boatload.

Maybe the dealers just throw new tanks and plastic on them?
What is your opinion on this?

By the way...Most of those TW200e in the SL classifieds look more like 96-2001 JDM models than they look like later 225's.
I'm also wondering if the model year they are advertising by, is the date of first registration in Sri Lanka, rather than the model year they were released in Japan. It would help explain.

·
Registered
109 Posts
OK INDIKA666, I have a few questions.
I'll answer your q's as per my understanding

1. No TW200 was not dropped. As far as i knw TW 225 had a model run from 2002 - 2007 and ended with the infamous orange anniversary model. TW200E is continued as normal production.

2. I'm sure that was a 2012 TW200E (as far as the owner claimed). It's definitely not the export model. It's the JDM model. It had japanese signs and warnings all over the bike same as mine.

3. My opinion on our japanse market is this.
In japan learner license holders can not ride anything more than 225cc. So many riders buy something like TW200 or TW225 as their first bike. Then once they obtain the rider license they just dump or sell their learner bikes. so those bikes end up in countries like Sri Lanka. There is high demand for those bikes as JDM is known for high quality and reliability. And most of the dealerships in SL can import spare parts for JDM models.

4. Yes Exactly. These morons mix up the EOM and first registered date :mad:

Sorry this took this long. I was out for the weekend.

Reactions: TWrider

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I don't know about anyone else guys, but I find this all very interesting. I've often wondered if people from other countries realize how avidly some of us read the interesting information on TW's from other countries and the information not generally available to us. And, as Fred always says..."we love pictures":D
+1

1. No TW200 was not dropped. As far as i knw TW 225 had a model run from 2002 - 2007 and ended with the infamous orange anniversary model. TW200E is continued as normal production.
i'm always surprised how they target different markets. so yamaha sold 200's and 225's side by side in japan? and stopped selling the 225 in 2007?
thanks for the insight

·
Registered
567 Posts
+1

i'm always surprised how they target different markets. so Yamaha sold 200's and 225's side by side in japan? and stopped selling the 225 in 2007?
thanks for the insight
Yes, this is something I did not realize but always wondered about. Thanks Indika666.

It seemed implausible that they'd just stop selling such a popular bike domestically. When we heard the TW being discontinued in Japan, apparently it was just the 225cc models. This does raise some questions though, I'm going by the assumption now that all JDM TW200 from 2007-2014 use the same graphics and colors as the U49 Export models, but what colors did they use from 2002-2007? I'd have to assume that possibly the silver/black series of 03-05 was also sold in Japan???
It would be great if we could track down more late model JDM pictures (I'm also assuming these JDM models all included kick starters)

On Edit: So at least for France, It appears the TW200E was also sold along side the TW125 in 2003 and 2004, They phased out the TW125 when they started importing XT125's and the soon to come WR125x's...So the TW200E sold in France from 2003 thru 2008, and the colors and graphics were identical to the USA versions for those corresponding years. This makes me strongly believe that the JDM TW200E's of this same period, also had the USA graphics and colors, or more precisely, the USA and France and Australia had the JDM colors and graphics of the TW200E model, BUT, France got the kick starter just like Japan!

·
Registered
567 Posts
1999 - All other markets loose the kickstart but JDM does not.
2000 - Front Disc brake and electrical upgrades but never lost Kick Statrter like other markets.

As far as i know the latest re-condition model you can have in SL(No one imports brand new) is 2007. which has the engine no starting from G315E and chassis from BA-DG07J. (2006 is the same range)
I've got a 2006 model.

Price right now varies around Rs. 350,000/= :)
France had kick start from 2003-2008, So they very well could have been importing JDM models and not the export version...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can someone answer this ?
what model is this, why the front brakes were not disk and what is the wrapped thing around silencer (I asked from the seller and he says it came originally from japan like that to reduce the heat to the legs)
It cost 255,000 LKR
IMG-20140527-WA0001[1].jpg
IMG-20140527-WA0002[1].jpg IMG-20140527-WA0000[1].jpg

Thanx

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can someone answer this ?
what model is this, why the front brakes were not disk and what is the wrapped thing around silencer (I asked from the seller and he says it came originally from japan like that to reduce the heat to the legs)
It cost 255,000 LKR
View attachment 6750
View attachment 6751 View attachment 6752

Thanx
Bike is pre 1999...!

Most probably 1996-97..!

And i don't think TW needs that kind of thing around exhaust bend..! It's not that hot..!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ohh boy !
indika machan!! thank you so much for the tip.. just FYI take a look at this
Screenshot_2014-05-29-16-23-46[1].png
:mad:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Disk are better, but it's a poor disk so it's not that much better, drum brake is actually weighs less and never leaks brake fluid. he used exhaust wrap in place of the factory heat shield. It's pre 2001. The fenders and tank could have been changed, so one has to go be the tag on the frame.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts