TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No additives, no octane booster. Just 87 octane gas. Nothing special added. I’ve been around dirt bikes my entire life (mostly 2 strokes) but I’ve never seen an orange plug either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I turned the screw out. It was only half a turn out. Went to 2 1/2 turns and put a new plug in. Guess we’ll see what happens. A quick 10 mile ride after turning the pilot adjustment screw out did result in positive results. I realize with the TW 200 performance results are very negligible. But it did seem as though the throttle response was a bit better with this screw adjustment made.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't know what you guys are seeing, but that plug looks tan to me and a perfect color for a 4 stroke running at a proper temperature range. It is not lean. Lean is white. Lean is blistered.

Your plug has some deposits on it, otherwise looks pretty good. Here's a 'perfect' plug color;
plug.jpg

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
I don't know what you guys are seeing, but that plug looks tan to me and a perfect color for a 4 stroke running at a proper temperature range. It is not lean. Lean is white. Lean is blistered.

Your plug has some deposits on it, otherwise looks pretty good. Here's a 'perfect' plug color;
View attachment 192924

+1 ^^^

·
Registered
88 Posts

View attachment 192924
i also agree , I have seen this colour before, as it has already been said , this little engine does benefit a little on the rich side for mixture , and I use regular 95 octane here in uk , I also agree with littletommy , fuel additives can also cause discolouration, who knows what the individual fuel companies add to their own brand fuels as in octane boosters and cleaners , the same can be said about eng oils , manufacturers ask the oil companies what they want out of a oil eg max protection at low temps and long life, so they add certain additives to mix to reach what they have asked for . The spec eg 10/40 is a grade it’s all the other stuff that’s the important bit

·
Registered
721 Posts
Welp I’ve never pulled a plug and had it look like the lean white version in that comparison pic. Honestly that pic looks a little odd to me. Oh well. My opinion is the OP plug looked a bit lean. If consensus disagrees, disregard my commentary. Cheers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The fuel you use most likely contains MMT. It's a fuel additive used to boost octane.
It's mostly used in consumer additives but also used at the pump by some companies. It's hard to know what additives and amounts a brand of fuel has because it's listed as proprietary.

There are 2 ways to affect octane.
1) through processing.
2) through additives.
Additives are by far the less expensive route and what seperates the brands pricing.
Expensive brands use processing to raise octane. This is why they advertise "more cleaners" in their formula.

Delphi did a bunch of research on it awhile back trying to figure out the cause of red/orange glazing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
that plug is bang on for colour, mine n the other hand is almost clear like new but iam running a raidian type of plug, i think it runs a little hoter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts