TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to take a few laps on a whooped out mx track Sunday on a 17 KX450. As underwhelming as the TW was to me the first time I rode it, the KX was over the top amazing. It hooked up like I was riding on velcro. More power off if idle than a diesel F350 dually .Words cant tell you how much fun I had. Having a bikes so different from the other makes me appreciate each for what they are.
I want and love my TW, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a KX450 too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
There is no alternative for horse power. Those Dunlop 606's might have had something to do with the Velcro hook-up as well

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
A man has to know his limitations! Hot dirt bikes are a thing of my past that I dearly loved but as I grew older I also became wiser and realized I had to slow down because it hurt too much and for way too long when ever I did a trail side nap. I don't know what it is about us guys but if we have a motor under us capable of going real fast we have to do it. When I finally found my first TW I came to the realization it was the remedy for my need for speed. When I had bikes with the power to do wheelies I had to do wheelies. When I had bikes with the suspension to do jumps and woops I had to do all that cool stuff and just be the basic A hole Iv'e always been. The last real dirt bike I rode was a KTM, 320 I think it was but an absolute monster with more than enough power and suspension to get me that thrill but to get me hurt quick. I had to admit to myself that I am unable to control myself and must swear off hot dirt bikes. At 65 years old if I hopped on a 450 anything I would need to be in a bubble suit.

GaryL

·
Registered
463 Posts
A man has to know his limitations! Hot dirt bikes are a thing of my past that I dearly loved but as I grew older I also became wiser and realized I had to slow down because it hurt too much and for way too long when ever I did a trail side nap. I don't know what it is about us guys but if we have a motor under us capable of going real fast we have to do it. When I finally found my first TW I came to the realization it was the remedy for my need for speed. When I had bikes with the power to do wheelies I had to do wheelies. When I had bikes with the suspension to do jumps and woops I had to do all that cool stuff and just be the basic A hole Iv'e always been. The last real dirt bike I rode was a KTM, 320 I think it was but an absolute monster with more than enough power and suspension to get me that thrill but to get me hurt quick. I had to admit to myself that I am unable to control myself and must swear off hot dirt bikes. At 65 years old if I hopped on a 450 anything I would need to be in a bubble suit.

GaryL
lol.....I'm beginning to realize the very same thing!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

GaryL

Yep thats what I'm talking about. I'm 57 but still love speed and have had enough broken bones for a life time. The TWs limitations help slow me down and I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I went to a KTM dealership just a few days ago. Turns out they can lower the XC models two inches. That was very nice until the owner stated to compare it to my KLR. Got to changer the oil every ten hours and no more than fourty hours between valve valve checks! Sorry!!! I spent more times working on my old Bultaco then riding it and I'm not going back.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
KTMs are such great motorcycles.I rode a 350 and I was in awe how good it was. Don't deny yourself the chance to own one if you have a hankering to get it. 10 hours isn't that short of time to change oil

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
KTMs are such great motorcycles.I rode a 350 and I was in awe how good it was. Don't deny yourself the chance to own one if you have a hankering to get it. 10 hours isn't that short of time to change oil
I agree they are great bikes but with some of the rides I've done in Tennessee I'd be changing oil every day! Remember they only hold about as much oil as a Dub but rev to 10 grand.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Sherco is supposed to be bringing in street legal two smokes next year. If so I will check them out. Just hope I can swing my short legs over the saddle.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Saddle height is the one thing I love about the TW, especially when getting on and off often trail riding, hunting etc. I do think the DR350 I have is the sweet spot between all the different bikes I have had. Wheelies? Check! Simple, air cooled? Check! Decent suspension for all day rides in the dirt? (98 has real forks and rebound/comlression adustable piggyback rear shock) check! Six speed for decent 60 mph cruise amd decent off road low gears? Check! Still has a tall seat height, but I think it is needed to get real suspension.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts