TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gavin has a lot of courage to do the things he does. Even if I had the knowledge and education which he clearly does, I don't think I could remain as calm and collected as he always seems to. Can he be a pain in the ass and go a little overboard sometimes? Sure, maybe, but sometimes (oftentimes) that's the only way things will change. Anyway, I really appreciate his videos and what he is doing. Check him out on YouTube.

This is just one of many unbelievable interactions he records...

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think he points out the divide. That chicken chit cop who called his thug buddies to come bail his sorry arse out via intimidation and then bails demonstrates, defines, the divide.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I do not view Gavin Seim as being courageous. He is a troublemaker, a bully, a stalker, and he trespassed on secure property. He is very fortunate that Officer Cox did not arrest him, and the officer would have had good reasoning to do so.

There are much better ways to handle the single issue that Gavin Seim confronted this Police Officer about...the unmarked vehicle.

In my opinion...Gavin Seim only adds to the divide between law enforcement and the citizens of this country.
He is no different than the protesters in the St. Louis areas, that want to protest police brutality, while they bring a gun....to the protests.
Really TWilight?

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
There are good and bad on both sides of the law....but I know the BS I had to put up with as a Military Cop, especially in my Vietnam tours....not fun but sometimes we had to bust some heads, and those heads deserved busting....just sayin' I cannot imagine being a cop in Ferguson or some other sh*thole, where you have ZERO backing from this corrupt and racist POS in the White House....or the stinking one sided press.:(

·
Registered
20,157 Posts
I respect and obey law enforcement authority but take issue with the following: Why is it taken for granted that police should rightfully think "Police Lives Matter" more than civilian lives? Should there be any disparity in the intensity of investigation, pursuit and conviction of a murderer of a police officer vs. the murderer of an adult or child civilian? If so please explain why. It is analogous to saying if a fireman's house is burning all firemen should converge there even if it means the neighbor's house is permitted to burn down. A crime committed against a law enforcement officer should receive no more attention than a crime committed against Joe or Jane Civilian.
I know the police's chartered duty is not specifically to protect lives but to enforce laws; and that public safety is a beneficial by-product of this duty. To say that more stringent pursuit of crimes against law enforcement officers is needed as a deterance seems wrong. All crimes should be prosecuted equally as an equal deterance to the further committing of similar crimes.

If this seems like a rant against officers of the law I apologize. I simply feel that the growing schism between some civilians and officers is not helped by the police sometimes acting like a society upon themselves not bound by the rule of law they enforce upon others. Think about this next time you see traffic police failing to use turn signals, interacting with big screen computers while driving, taking on private cell phones while driving , habitually speeding, parking illegally, etc. Then wonder if it is appropriate that they take paid days off to attend funerals of fallen officers leaving their patrol areas often understaffed. I grew up where the police were your friends, part of the community and the source for help in all situations. Shame to see them viewed differently.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Good Points Fred, but in some points I have a different view....the Bullshit Slogan foisted on us by racist elements of the Black "Community"{whatever the Hell that is?} "Black Lives Matter" is OK... So I suggest they stop killing each other...and I doubt the not so revs Al, Jesse Jackass, and that nutjob Rev
"Gawd Damn America" Wright, who preached where Barack went to church, want to hear that....it's all the fault of "Whitey" and the Cops....those jerks need to clean up their own damn communities, and look in the mirror, because that is where the problem lies.:mad:

"All Lives Matter"....well except a few political hacks and Islamic Goat Fornicators, whom all should remain nameless...:p

·
Registered
20,157 Posts
"All Lives Matter" +1 . Well said Hoot.
Too bad the media sensationalizes racial strife more than any time I can remember, perhaps due to us the public craving their juicy stories. Is there a hidden agenda in seemingly dividing our country into polarized camps intolerant of each other?
Makes me want to go hug a police officer or a minority but I fear neither gesture would be appreciated.:(

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
KJ you have an extremely warped understanding of courage.
How so? Care to explain? Or do you prefer to just make baseless insults?

Courage is an attribute whereby the individual possessing it is able overcome fears in confronting frightening or dangerous situations. There is no doubt that situations such as many of those recorded by Gavin are both frightening and dangerous, and yet he remains steadfast and overcomes those confrontations. That is essentially the very definition of courageous. So no, I do not have a warped understanding of courage at all. In fact, I have an excellent understanding of the word, and the concept represented by it.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have to agree with Devil's Advocate on this one; Gavin Seim is calling attention to the very real and current divide between police and law abiding citizens in this country. In this video, one of the citizen-clowns working for officer Cox literally said "fuck the constitution." Enough said.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I will try to explain. He is harassing people quoting a law that he does not understand. The Washington law that he is referring to clearly exempts local police departments. There is also stipulation that peace officers, which are different than police officers, can use them while conducting investigations. The problem is, he is confronting a local police department who are absolutely exempt. He is well known to these officers and most other police officers. This is his way to gain notoriety after a failed congressional election. Most of the videos are not recent but the climate is right to get them back on the front burner. His intention is to be assaulted by an officer on video and that never happens. This is the law that he is perverting...

"It is unlawful for any public officer having charge of any vehicle owned or controlled by any county, city, town, or public body in this state other than the state of Washington and used in public business to operate the same upon the public highways of this state unless and until there shall be displayed upon such automobile or other motor vehicle in letters of contrasting color not less than one and one-quarter inches in height in a conspicuous place on the right and left sides thereof, the name of such county, city, town, or other public body, together with the name of the department or office upon the business of which the said vehicle is used."

BUT, and this is a huge BUT

The law makes an exception for "vehicles of a sheriff’s office, local police department, or any vehicles used by local peace officers under public authority for special undercover or confidential investigative purposes”

There is nothing courageous about failing to get your ass kicked when your intention was to get your ass kicked. Try to remember this KJ, whenever you judge people by what group that they are in, regardless of what that group is, you have issues. People are judged by where they are from, how they look, what they drive, what sports team they like, what religion they practice etc, etc, etc. When you find yourself saying, "most___________ are bad", then the person who is really bad is in the mirror.

How so? Care to explain? Or do you prefer to just make baseless insults?

Courage is an attribute whereby the individual possessing it is able overcome fears in confronting frightening or dangerous situations. There is no doubt that situations such as many of those recorded by Gavin are both frightening and dangerous, and yet he remains steadfast and overcomes those confrontations. That is essentially the very definition of courageous. So no, I do not have a warped understanding of courage at all. In fact, I have an excellent understanding of the word, and the concept represented by it.

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
Fred, if your wife and a stranger both have a heart attack and need CPR, who would you give it to?
:eek:!!! (probably depends if his wife is watching him type his answer over his shoulder or not...) :laughing7:

*(not really Fred...I'm teasing. Someone has to save you from yourself!!) :D

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Twilight, I agree with you, my Father was a Patrolman then Sergeant and Lieutenant. He was police officer for 34 years without actually ever having the rank of police officer.
Yes....really ! I am standing on one singular point of view...and that is the viewing of the video taken by Gavin Seim, wherein HE is the instigator of the confrontation with Officer Cox.

First, allow me to digress for just one moment. I am not comfortable calling police personnel..."officers". To get to the defined wording of what an "officer" is...they do not fit that description, and it has always bugged me that they are referred to as "Police Officers". I think that is giving them too much credit by calling them an "officer". They are supposed to be Law Enforcement...to Protect and Serve...the tax payers that employ them.

Okay, back to the issue, and the only issue, I am willing to jump in to, and defend. Gavin Seim was the instigator in this incident. He harassed the Policeman, he stalked the Policeman, he trespassed onto secure property, and refused repeated calls from the Policeman to leave that property. It is one thing to bring forth an issue, and discuss it with civility. It is quite something else when you come across as the instigator...the person harassing someone else, the trespasser.....the person willing and "wanting" to confront with such force, that you push the limits of being arrested for your actions.

Gavin Seim was intent on pushing buttons. He wanted to capture on camera all the actions he could get away with, and "hoping" that the policeman lost his control, and arrested Gavin Seim, simply so that he could take this case to court, and win some money over the issue. That is "similar" to what the protesters in Ferguson, Missouri are doing, almost every night.

30 years from now, Gavin Seim will either look back on this, and realize what an idiot he was at the time, or.....he will be locked up for life....by doing what he "assumes" is his right to pursue his version of liberty in this country.

Make it clear...I am only speaking about the video posted about Gavin Seim on the original posting in this thread.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
At times like these I am glad I am retired, old {66}, and don't give a Sh*t what people think of me or my views on life, social issues, and politics.......It's been one Hell of a Ride, and people need to stop doing the whine, and wake the Hell up, and live life as God intended, on your own and his terms....there are assholes in all points on this journey....stand up like a man{or women} and live by your own rules and obey those laws that should be obeyed....treat people as you want to be treated...and if some asshole decides he doesn't like what you do or say....F**K Them....

Quit Yer Bitchin'

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
He will be 81 years old tomorrow and could write the book on how to be a the most decent human being and most amazing Father.

Twilight, I agree with you, my Father was a Patrolman then Sergeant and Lieutenant. He was police officer for 34 years without actually ever having the rank of police officer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts