1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
170 Posts
Apparently in NC police won't chase a motorcycle if you run. If I had to run on the TW I would just duck off in the woods.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Police shouldn't be allowed to have glocks. They should have to consciously use a guns safety feature. What a bummer. That guy sounded really scared.

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Officer Soppeland got off an accurate, if unintentional , first shot at least. Instinctive point-n-shoot is a good skill, but so is firearm safety.
One could question the need to put any citizen immediately in the crosshairs during a non-felony traffic stop. Considering the circumstances of a nighttime high speed chase it is understandable that any officer be prepared to react to a possible threat, but to proactively leave his cruiser drawing a bead on the perp just seems wrong.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sort of unrelated. But this is why police have there weapon drawn before approaching a suspect.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Weather it's a Glock type firearm, or a .38spcl d/a revolver, safety or no safety, there will always be accidents. Sometimes we will hit the gas peddle instead of the brake, even though we drive the car every day. Carpenters get saw bites.

Smart saws, smart cars, smart guns, etc. will not stop accidents. Train well, & be careful, that's the best anyone can do for themselves & everyone else. m.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The kind of thing I'd expect to see in a satirical television program (Reno 911 and a few others come to mind)... Hope they didn't ticket the guy, ffs. Luckily for both, this wasn't a head shot!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
He could have drawn the weapon and not yet pointed it. He could have kept his finger off the trigger.
I once in my career held a suspect at gunpoint while pressing my finger against the forward part of the trigger guard. A round was chambered and the safety off.
I could have shot in a small fraction of a second. I used this technique because it was a frigid winter night and I did not trust my finger to be sensitive enough to not shoot if it touched the trigger. My weapon at that time was a colt 1911A1. I would say that this accident happened because the officer lacked a part of his training. He had been taught combat shooting, but not enough emphasis on civilian situations. The suspect in this case had already shown a degree of compliance by stopping on the side of the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts