TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Did you buff it or spit shine it. I polished my pipe today too. Catchy title
Wife polished mine............ She is the one that got it dirty though.

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you buff it or spit shine it. I polished my pipe today too. Catchy title
LOL oh god you guys, I laughed so hard I cried, were you that funny or is my life that dull, thanks I needed a good laugh....oh, and it was buff not spit...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That thing looks clean! It would be a stainless steel pipe, unlike the tw's?
No, it was painted black like a TW's I do believe the TW's pipe is stainless too and will polish right up. That would look awesome, I still think a TW is the best looking enduro bar none!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I would polish mine or have it polished but being so old it is in the same shape as the TWs.

BTW, does anyone know if the stock pipe is SS? I just checked an old one that is very rusted, pitted and in the scrap bin and a magnet does not stick.

GaryL

·
Registered
185 Posts
No, it was painted black like a TW's I do believe the TW's pipe is stainless too and will polish right up. That would look awesome, I still think a TW is the best looking enduro bar none!
I don't think that our 2 TW headers are ss. Where the paint has come off, it seems to be rusting, and a magnet definitely sticks to them. I may be wrong though. Correct me if I am.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What kind of paint do you guys recommend using on these? On both my bikes the header pipes are getting kind of gross. I bought a spare and I think I'm going to sand it down to bare metal, but I just don't know what to use to repaint it that will be handle those temperatures. Any thoughts?

BTW - OP, your pipe looks amazing! Is there some kind of clear coat or protectant you can put on that to keep it from varnishing and rusting?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of paint do you guys recommend using on these? On both my bikes the header pipes are getting kind of gross. I bought a spare and I think I'm going to sand it down to bare metal, but I just don't know what to use to repaint it that will be handle those temperatures. Any thoughts?

BTW - OP, your pipe looks amazing! Is there some kind of clear coat or protectant you can put on that to keep it from varnishing and rusting?
Stainless does not rust, in fact, it turns a goldish color, very cool looking, will post some pics when it happens. So here's an idea for you guys with TW's. As I mentioned before, I think the TW is the greatest looking enduro on the planet, I would either use a high heat paint and do it white, yellow or red depending on the color bike OR I love that fiber wrap that looks like cloth. Can't wait to see some pics of your bikes. Even though I love my DR650, I still have major TW envy!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
craig0ry any high heat paint for automotive headers will work just dandy on your head pipe. You can find it ay just about any auto parts store in a bunch of different colors.

Twlover, Stainless steel will rust depending on the grade. Some have more iron than others depending on the use. For instance a stainless propeller on a boat needs to have high hardness to do its job and they can and do rust. Same with knives. My Zwilling knives will rust if left in water for too long. My father who was a metallurgist explained to me but i have forgotten the specific grades that will rust.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
craig0ry any high heat paint for automotive headers will work just dandy on your head pipe. You can find it ay just about any auto parts store in a bunch of different colors.

Twlover, Stainless steel will rust depending on the grade. Some have more iron than others depending on the use. For instance a stainless propeller on a boat needs to have high hardness to do its job and they can and do rust. Same with knives. My Zwilling knives will rust if left in water for too long. My father who was a metallurgist explained to me but i have forgotten the specific grades that will rust.
Your right, I should have said DR650's or my pipe won't rust! The quality stainless is all there, and I did not or don't use brillo or steel polishing wheels to put metal particulate into the stainless that would cause it to rust. I also wipe my bike down and its stored in a temperature controlled garage. Yes most anything left in water will eventually have a degree of rust. This is after 500 miles....
gold pipe_Fotor.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where would be the best place to let all of the TWforum know I want to trade my perfect mint condition DR 650 for a TW200, believe it or not the DR650 is actually too much of a beast for me but I am 55 yrs old. I'm only doing light trail riding and the DR650 deserves to go far beyond my light useage.

lft frnt.jpeg
rght full_Fotor_Fotor.jpg

The bike had a stock black painted pipe and polished it out today....
View attachment 9036
View attachment 9037

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Nice looking DR! Your best bet would probably be the Classifieds forum. I'd be interested if you weren't so far away.

Thanks so much! Those pics are 6 months old, the bike has not left my temperature controlled garage and all I've done are things like polish the pipe the kickstand added a digital tachometer, oil temp gauge from Germany, windshield and tons more. The bike has 6k miles but you would never know it even left the showroom. I'll take new pics, Don't get me wrong I LOVE THIS BIKE, its just wayyy more worthy than the flat beach trails around here. If someone wants to travel to get it, this is one hell of a beautiful place to visit. Read about this area here Santa Rosa Beach

stand.jpg

lift.jpg

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I must say that looks pretty sweet. Reminds me a lot of the pics I took of my new-to-me 97 DR200 when I first had it sitting in my driveway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts