TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not an appropriate site for political rants. We all have opinions about things , I do not need to know what yours are. I believe the intent of chopper charles when he initiated this site was to promote discussion of motor cycles, not any bodies political beliefs. Perhaps it is time for the moderators to step in as they did with tobaco (back on the old site) . thanks rw:icon_shaking2:

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
"We all have opinions about things, I do not need to know what yours are." -yet it seems you think we need to know what yours are.
I think I understand your feelings but the way you said it made me laugh.
I hope I do not offend you but please realize that advocating censorship is itself a politcal rant.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
The last I looked all the political stuff was in the Basement, where it belongs.

However.....

You won't hear anything political{or otherwise} out of me until at least Wednesday or Thursday .... Off to a wedding, see some old friends, have a few drinks, then down to Brown County{IN} with the wife for a few days....Keep the Lid on it guys :rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
OFF Topic= Want to talk about something other than the TW200? This is the place for any and all discussions under the sun.

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is not an appropriate site for political rants. We all have opinions about things , I do not need to know what yours are. I believe the intent of chopper charles when he initiated this site was to promote discussion of motor cycles, not any bodies political beliefs. Perhaps it is time for the moderators to step in as they did with tobaco (back on the old site) . thanks rw:icon_shaking2:
rw,

It's great to have someone back from the old site. Tobaco was a nutcase and was rightfully purged from being able to post. The posts that are political in nature on this site are on the bottom dwellers part. Don't take offense as these guys are all great fellows. On the old site, many of the members were liberals and I was the odd man out politically. (I'm a right wing Christian conservative) I am in the majority on this new site but I have a reverse situation on the Triumph website (mostly liberal) that I am a member of and I do not read posts that will aggravate me. Don't go to the bottom if you get offended. Anyway, it's good to know that there are still a few old-timers here that even remember the old site at all.

Rusty :icon_thumbright::icon_thumbright::icon_thumbright:

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Personally, I can read the paper or watch that stuff on TV or other websites all day long. I come here to get away from all that and chill and relax and talk about bikes. I do wish that this was just a motorcycle site. Certainly there must be sites out there where people can post this kind of stuff for everyone that enjoys it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't enjoy them here. Two or three folks posting this stuff have caused many members to leave. I hate to see that. I've lost good personal friends here and I really hate that!

If these posts didn't come up in new posts or unread posts daily, we who don't want to read them, wouldn't even see them or know they are there. Make it so a member has to go and click on the off topic section. It's difficult not to read them if they come up in the list automatically.

One other thought. Let's do it the political way, take a vote. This would be fair to everyone.

Have a moderator set up a vote and we all go by the results of that vote.

If more members vote to keep this a motorcycle content website only, then that's what it becomes.

If more members vote for politics/off topic/rants, etc, then it stays just as it is now.

Moderators, can we take a vote on it please. It seems that is the only fair way to do it. Otherwise folks get mad and leave. The more folks leave, the less people click and buy from the links on the website and the less the owners of the website make. There will be more folks leaving unless something is done.

How about it? Set up a poll and let's take a vote. No one knows who voted what and your name isn't posted for what side you voted.

Seems fair to me, does it seem fair to you? To vote on it?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Lets not advocate censorship littletommy. This thread should have been in the basement. You are one of the top posters on this site and I believe that I've probably read every one of your posts. (WOW) I remained a loyal member of the old site after I was scolded but I chose not to read posts by certain individuals. Lets not leave the site over something like this.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Again someone posting complaints about political stuff in the general discussion "which is a tw related forum" forum while complaining about non tw related stuff being posted in the off topic section. If its in the off topic section that means its not tw related. All of the other forums are tw related.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
I just did a little arithmetic and the off-topic posts constitute a little over 10% of total forum traffic. Seems we do like to chat about stuff other than TWs 100% of the time.
I admit a portion of this 10% is political commentary and that the opinions expressed may not agree with every reader's political outlook. I find it very easy to ignore many postings and am thus not often offended.
When I see forum postings bogging down with bickering and negativity I like to try to add something constructive,get us distracted on a different and hopefully entertaining positive subject. There is so much more to share than condemnations.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I think the reason that this happens is the TW posters are older and Retired and like to post their views.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I thought the off topic section was uncensored. I have never been offended by someone who disagrees with me. If I don't like what they say I quite reading their posts. I respect their right to have strong opinions about things. Certainly everyone should have a right to their opinions. My wife hates motorcycles, but I still love her :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Personally, I can read the paper or watch that stuff on TV or other websites all day long. I come here to get away from all that and chill and relax and talk about bikes. I do wish that this was just a motorcycle site. Certainly there must be sites out there where people can post this kind of stuff for everyone that enjoys it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't enjoy them here. Two or three folks posting this stuff have caused many members to leave. I hate to see that. I've lost good personal friends here and I really hate that!

If these posts didn't come up in new posts or unread posts daily, we who don't want to read them, wouldn't even see them or know they are there. Make it so a member has to go and click on the off topic section. It's difficult not to read them if they come up in the list automatically.

One other thought. Let's do it the political way, take a vote. This would be fair to everyone.

Have a moderator set up a vote and we all go by the results of that vote.

If more members vote to keep this a motorcycle content website only, then that's what it becomes.

If more members vote for politics/off topic/rants, etc, then it stays just as it is now.

Moderators, can we take a vote on it please. It seems that is the only fair way to do it. Otherwise folks get mad and leave. The more folks leave, the less people click and buy from the links on the website and the less the owners of the website make. There will be more folks leaving unless something is done.

How about it? Set up a poll and let's take a vote. No one knows who voted what and your name isn't posted for what side you voted.

Seems fair to me, does it seem fair to you? To vote on it?
Well tommy, forgive any typos or bad punctuation here as I am in Gods country working off a dam I phone I can't see.
I seem to remember just a short while back a discussion right here in OT about your need for medical marijuana. Now, if that is not a political football I don't know what is!
i don't remember anyone wanting that discussion nixed or calling for moderation. We did not take any polls about pot or it's value in society!
I sure wish those who come to OT would just sit back. Roll another one, pour a stiff one or do what ever you like so the rest of us can enjoy each other's company. In real face to face life many subjects pop up every day. We can decide to join the discussion or walk away. You can do that here! Climb on to your TW and blast up to the top general forum and talk about just our bikes. Some here have a bit more in common than just our TWs and I love talking with my forum buddies about anything that interests me down here.

I am at a disadvantage this week while away on vacation but I do hope the mods keep doing the job of not modding down here unless things truly do get out of hand!

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
You're right, I apologize.
peace brother.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
The mods are at work and have saved me this weekend (again) as I was F--k up and posted some BS and did not ban me as Adv. rider would have so this was very cool.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
You're right, I'm apologize.
peace brother.
Its ok. I can easily understand how many who come to the TW forum can get offended by political and other off topic ramblings. What I can't understand is this constant muttering about forcing censorship down any of our throats. If you don't like what is down here the ride your TW to the top of the page and keep on riding while the rest of us do what we enjoy.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
I feel a group hug is imminent.
Surely we can get along one way or another here in the basement, just need to periodically remember why we are here. For me it is not to force my opinions on you folks but rather to savor the camaraderie and shared wealth of non-TW subjects I get here.
There are too many interesting characters here to have any more driven away.
As an old irish friend would say "Bless All Here".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts