TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Political (sort of) discussions …

The latest round of cabin fever inspired “political type” discussions has generated some “angst” among our members. 31 complaints calling all of you “Nazis”, one calling me a “coward” (all from the same person) – and one from a five year old account with one post, calling us “snowflakes”. Despite the somewhat disingenuous nature of these complaints (if there was any hint of intelligence, I’d be inclined to pay more attention), and as to the hypocrisy of this guy, well, enough said on that point

But –with two bans so far, one flying very close to the edge, and another respected member suggesting he is going to “move on” (all within the space of a couple of weeks), the question has to be asked – are we tearing this board apart by allowing this to continue ?

Boards are constantly evolving, and like politics, we move to the left, and then to the right – and by doing this, we kinda find a middle course – a “consensus” if you will. To far either way and it becomes a train wreck. Yes, I know, we keep it in the “basement”, but it still seems to “leak out” and encourages others to say perhaps more than they should – then someone else picks up on this, and it all “kicks off”

Look at it from my view point – and it is a uniquely unenviable one – I have a “duty of care” to all on here, and not just to “the few”

It seems to me that some sort of “adjustment” needs to be made, or we’re heading straight for the wall. To that end, expect the Mods to tighten up on this a bit, and for threads to be closed once they have run their course – and I’m sure we’d all prefer that rather than see them accelerate to the point of no return

This is not about censorship, it’s about preserving this board for everyone …..

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well, it sure seems like a great way to remove people from this forum who must resort to insults! My opinion - if you are unable to calmy discuss your disagreements with other people, perhaps this forum is not for you. Disagreement and disrespect and two very different things!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, every thread is technically opt-in. Don't like politics? Don't click on a thread that looks political in an off-topic section. I don't see anything political in the trip, tank or rack discussions. I guess you can say it isn't about censorship, but it kind of is. Looks like it's a squeaky wheel, cancel culture world now.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I think Purple and Dr.Evil have a point...

Problem we may face is that strongly voiced political feelings can interfere with previous pleasant motorcycle themed discussions amongst us.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am very new here, so my opinion doesn’t matter. It will not bother me if political feelings are posted or not. I am a life long conservative, and vote mainly Republican. However, one of my best friends of more than 25 years is a far left liberal. And I mean far left. We disagree on every political view. But we have never been mad at each other, and I don’t think we ever could argue about it. I would do anything for him or his family, And I am sure he feels the same way about me.
At some point, we have to get back to the idea that every one is different, and everyone has different opinions. That’s what keeps the world going round. I am just here to talk about TW’s, and hope that we all can get along, and have fun. No since in being mad all the time, and hating someone because they have different views. If we all sat around a campfire and talked, I bet we all have more in common than we think.

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
Don’t ban me. I think Pelosi is hot for an older woman. Palen was hot too! Add a little (your choice) of motor oil and you’ll have yourself... where was I going with this? I forgot!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don’t ban me. I think Pelosi is hot for an older woman. Palen was hot too! Add a little (your choice) of motor oil and you’ll have yourself... where was I going with this? I forgot!
That's really FUNNY ???......!!!!!!!!!! I'm riding my TW to the hardware store through 2 ft of snow.......YES I'm after the roll of plastic to lay out for .......sucks to get old an forget where your going....O well the TW ride will be fun...... GOD is GREAT BEER is GOOD PEOPLE are CRAZY

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
"Around the campfire" is the best thing said here. If what you say would not be said face to face around a campfire then it should not be said from behind your keyboard. After all these years here I still don't know which oil is best and frankly don't give a shit! Boring is how I see many of these hashed and rehashed threads about the same old crap we have all heard hundreds if not thousands of times before. They are of high value to the newer members but largely overlooked by us older members. New discussions about current affairs and always in the "Off Topic" section are what keeps many of us active. Just because a member does not like a topic or has some disagreement with it or what is being discussed there should be a stock and standard response to that member, Go look at other discussions that don't get you melting!
Me and Troll are 180 degrees opposite yet around the campfire I am positive we would be just fine and have lots of laughs. Our forum is based around a bike that has been around for over 30 years, longer than many of the members here. We collectively help whenever we can and then we head down to the campfire to poke some fun at each other.
Nothing bugs me more than some member reminding us this is a TW motorcycle forum. No shit Sherlock, there is plenty here for you so go find what interests you and leave the rest alone. Ban those who refuse to go along to get along and leave Facebook and the other social media sites to do the censoring. Ban those who rant and rave and promote personal and abusive attacks. We are entering an election season here in the US and there is sure to be plenty of discussions that touch on this subject. Politics is as divisive as any subject we could touch on but so what, if you don't like politics then just crawl back up to other sections you do like. If you state your opinion in the Off Topic section then be prepared to discuss with those who have differing opinions but do so in a civil manner. Those who get twisted and feel the need to leave because of some discussion in Off Topic they don't like apparently didn't need to be here to begin with or at the least should not have come to the Off Topic section and entered the discussions. We see differing opinions every day and all day long when ever we watch any of the news on TV. If I don't like what I see or hear I simply change the channel.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
"Don’t ban me. I think Pelosi is hot for an older woman." - Admiral says that just because she wore the T-shirt he sent her.
Nancy21.jpg

·
Banned
43 Posts
I consider myself very pro-name-calling. It is an important societal function which allows us to organize ourselves, and is far from obsolete.

Consider calling someone fat. When someone is called fat, labeled as fat, that label is then associated with them and lowers their social standing. So, in response to this stimulus, they are inclined to fix this and raise their social standing. This mechanism results in a stronger society. Now that it's unacceptable to call someone a fatass, the natural name-calling mechanism has been tampered with, suppressed, and, consequently, obesity is higher than ever.

The same sort of thing has occurred with this terrible outbreak of transgenderism in out culture. It is a curable mental illness to be transgender. But, If I were to call someone a tranny and tell them they need to change because they creep everyone around them out. Well, I might as well have shot him as far as most of society, and the law in some places, is concerned. But, even worse than the widespread sexual demoralization that transgenderism is, it's just flat out deadly. 40% of transgenders commit suicide, regardless of whether or not they go through with their "operation(s)". Imagine, rather than someone who was to be transgender being supported in their dillusion from a young age, they were instead called a faggot, or a weirdo by their peers. They would probably not like that, and move on, but, because It's not nice to call them names, they kill themselves after living a sad, confusing, and very short life.

So, in conclusion, name-calling is something important that should be nurtured in our little "society" here on The TW200 Forum. Lest we become too weak to handle hard truths and unaware of our own problems.

In the meantime, call me what you want, I'll be OK, I'm not a pussy. And, vote for me for president in 2038. Adam Moore - Less is Moore.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I don't care for Name Calling at all. I did prefer it when those who were very different remained in the closet. I never cared what anyone else did in the privacy of their own bedrooms and never will. Being fat, skinny, short or tall don't mean much either but being stupid sure does. TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) is a very real condition and defined as the inability to accept facts, STUPID. You can hate the man but the facts are real hard to bury. A truly honest politician can't become wealthy working in a government job! Let that sink in!

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, in conclusion, name-calling is something important that should be nurtured in our little "society" here on The TW200 Forum
And nor is it about naming and shaming to get someone to change. Saying transgender is curable is about as naive as you get - come back when you're older (and I'm dead)

So in conclusion - goodbye ....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts