TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

'Loud pipes save lives' and 'the louder it is the faster it is' are all phrases you’ve probably heard before, but for a lot of people – particularly the non-riding public – loud exhausts prove to be obnoxious. Which camp do you find yourself in?
Read more about the Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I prefer quiet, noise complaints have already taken enough places away from us. i feel no need to perpetuate this.

That said my Ducati while not HD obnoxious is kind of loud, or louder than i would like but my pipes are fully baffled and i have a DB killer in it. Its much louder then my TW and not once have i thought that the louder pipe had made another driver more aware of me. I have had more close calls on that Ducati then i have on my TW so for me the "loud pipes save lives" theory is debunked.

·
Super Moderator
17,686 Posts
The "Hell's Angel's" that ride past the house every night lately down to their clubhouse and back sure are noisy. Wakes me up every night with those straight pipes. I like my Harley pipes a little loud, but baffled and wrapped tight inside with insulation batting. I think they run better with a little back pressure. I'm too old for loud loud pipes. Save's live's? I don't know...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Seriously now,
My old shovel head with straight pipes IS safer here in the city of Philadelphia where ignorance rules,
I drive my fully stock new mufflers on my BMW R90 and Ive had folks just walk out in front of me, The bike is seriously quiet with any DIN around and seems like everyone is staring at their cell phone best friend,
So yes in a metropolitan city I will say that louder is safer,
Anywhere else, Quiet or loud makes little difference,
In My Opinion

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
there is a valid argument to be heard when not seen for urban riding but I don't urban ride so I love the OEM TW pipe it has a nice gentle thump anything louder and I've owned them all times 10 (FMF - DG) way to annoying for me - Find me a quieter option for the TW and I'll switch - I had a can off a 2016 BMW GS I was tempted to try it on my TW but I sold it before I could try it

That being said on my Fuel cars and Pro Mods I like loud lol

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
That's not a wheelie - that's a threelie!

Pedestrians will hear them - folks in cars, not so much. Did tests driving 30 mph in car talking to one another; and police car with siren blaring coming from behind at 60 mph. Raise your hand when you hear siren. By the time you raise your hand; the the police car had passed you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Depends on the bike or machine really and there intended use. That being said I don't like obnoxiously loud anything.

My TW has a DG pipe that was on it when I got it. It's too loud even with the quite core I installed it's not really obnoxious anymore but for this bike I would prefer it be stock.

That being said I would like a bit more bark out of my Vstrom 650 as I think it's a bit tooo mild for my tast.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I read somewhere "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what actually learning how to ride could accomplish?"

If your plan for staying safe involves other motorists seeing or hearing you, you might as well hang it up now. We all know we're supposed to ride as if we were invisible, might as well ride as if we were inaudible too.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Seriously now,
My old shovel head with straight pipes IS safer here in the city of Philadelphia where ignorance rules,
I drive my fully stock new mufflers on my BMW R90 and Ive had folks just walk out in front of me, The bike is seriously quiet with any DIN around and seems like everyone is staring at their cell phone best friend,
So yes in a metropolitan city I will say that louder is safer,
Anywhere else, Quiet or loud makes little difference,
In My Opinion
Install a Stebel horn and let 'er rip when they walk out in front of you. The reaction puts almost as big a grin on my face as a good day of riding...;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts