TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new TW pops with slight backfires when throttle is backed off under load . It's only got 200 Kms on it. I still find it vibrates a lot and I can hear my seat rattling and some other jingling sound. It works perfect, just a little annoying.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My new TW pops with slight backfires when throttle is backed off under load . It's only got 200 Kms on it. I still find it vibrates a lot and I can hear my seat rattling and some other jingling sound. It works perfect, just a little annoying.
mine pops too.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Brand New TW or new to you? Year?

If new, they are set lean from the factory for emissions reasons and normally will pop like you mention on decel. No real harm but can be anoying. Even if it's used it could be the carb is set to lean.

If new, the pilot screw can be backed out to around 2 1/2 turns and the pop should go away. You'll probably have to remove the cover over the screw which comes this way from the factory so we don't mess with the pilot screw.

Thanks to forum member jbfla, here is a photo of the bottom of a carb with the plug covering the pilot screw. Screw in a deck or drywall screw a few turns into the little hole you see in the plug and yank out the plug. Some people drill the plug out but this is not necessary if you can pull it out like I mentioned. Mess it up and you may have to get creative in the removal of the plug. If adjusting the pilot screw doesn't work you may have to change main jets for your location.

If it's a used TW, you may have to remove the float bowl and check to see what the main jet you have and adjust by changing jets.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/881-tk-carb-photos-parts-identification.html

Singles cylinder motorcycles vibrate more than 2,3,4 etc cylinder motorcycles so some vibration is normal. Check you TW for loose bolts, engine mounts, swing arm, even your seat botls.

These are just a couple idea's and others will mention more.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
How many turns from gentle seat is the idle mixture screw?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
make sure the carb is truly clean including all internal orifices like the pilot jet etc. If it's a Cali model you might upgrade the main and pilot jet to the larger 49 state versions unless you're in Denver or Flagstaff etc then the leaner Cali jets might be fine. The Cali carbs are set uber lean so just the slightest build up of crud inside makes them run like poop or pop lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts