TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 579 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're anything like me, some of your favorite riding buddies have firing pins! I'm interested to see what other T-dubbers are packing when they ride.

My go-to has become this little big guy, Glock 29 10mm subcompact.

I bought it used about 4 years ago, have put about 1000 range rounds down the pipe without any failures, and for some reason I just seem to be able to shoot it better than a .38, subcompact 9mm, or 1911. And of course, what's not to love about those 10mm ballistics!

Of course I know that Glocks aren't everybody's thing, but I've been pretty happy with all of mine. That's why they make different kinds of guns (and bikes for that matter!), right?

What's your go-to?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Usually a keltec p3at in 380. Although I do like small light revolvers for riding. No accidental hitting the magazine release button while riding. Once in a while a glock 19. The small pocket pistols are just so easy to carry despite being kinda anemic. Better than nothing or the big heavy gun you left in the glove box.

·
Registered
601 Posts
My god! This is sooooo strange to me! No guns allowed here.
I no nothing about them but I'd be scared to death I'd come off and end up shooting myself!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Kel Tec pf9 so light you don't even know it's there. Not the best quality gun but the perfect compact 9mm for that price

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Glock 23, 40 S&W caliber with internal Lazermax site. Mine is almost 20 years old and has never failed to function properly. I think the caliber you select should be governed by the threat you might encounter. If in Grizzly country I might want something a great deal more powerful but here in NY I am more likely to encounter a rabid Coyote or fox or in a very rare instance a Sow Black bear with cubs. To be truthful I am more likely to encounter a poacher, dope grower or some other criminal where I might want a gun.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I keep this in the middle console/glovebox of my Nitro....and if the occasion{and I can find a good place to secure it out of site}comes along, I will ride with it as well....this little pup is easy to handle, and yep, it's only a .38 "snubbie", but having carried a S&W .38 Police Special back in my Air Force Security Police days, they can get the job done....unless you come across a damn Grizzly or Rino...then you just better hope your ride is close and get the Hell out anyway.:eek:

plus it's great for conceal and carry on your person, and damn easy to handle.

Taurus_38.jpg

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have a pal who is a liberal democrat and I let him carry this one!

GaryL

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Puttin that on my facebook page....:pottytrain5:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
454 casull, need I say more.
Other than Ouch after each round that will do the trick!

I had a .475 Wildy Magnum for quite a while and I said Ouch a lot along with Oh crap right after because it never would cycle the next round. It was a 7 shot semi auto canon that could not get 3 rounds off without a stove pipe jamb. Charles Bronson was the only Wildy shooter who ever got one to work!

GaryL

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Well, I had a matched pair of well-smithed Para Ordinance 14.45s that I bought off a druggie needing a high (the sacrifices a patriot must make in the name of civic duty!) but they were aboard the last canoe I sank. Lost everything, even my mind! I didn't mind the bulk--they fit my hands well and came comfortably on target, pretty much point and shoot with minute-of-perpetrator accuracy out to about 75 feet, a range that would result in cloverleaves in paper using the lasers attached and my preferred defense load of 230gr JHP @ ~1015FPS. Same components at 800fps are all over the paper. Hmmmm? This is a heavy load I wouldn't shoot in a cheaper pistol, but I've found this load to be excellent for thin-skinned game about 200 pounds, say, whitetails, perhaps. Recoil is a bit intense for pleasant target shooting, but when the shoot REALLY counts, I don't feel recoil. It makes a mess of ballistic gelatin--the wound channel looks like an ice cream cone, and a broadside shot on a deer will almost totally destroy the lung on the far side. Hit a rib and the near side lung and heart will be reduced to mush. A head shot well placed results in a deer dead before it hits the ground, and usually breaks the neck. I expect it would be a great zombie load, too.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
How many of your states require you to have a concealed carry permit? Our great state of California won't even let you carry exposed now. It must be cased or have a concealed carry permit.
Mel

·
Registered
239 Posts
I carry a S&W 44 mag. on my fanny pack belt in a full flap holster. I am in hopes of never needing to draw it in anger.

I would like to share my thoughts on Semi-Autos as a side arm while riding.

" If a person were to somehow bump the magazine release while riding, they could now be in possession of a single shot."

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Registered
38 Posts
My god! This is sooooo strange to me! No guns allowed here.
I no nothing about them but I'd be scared to death I'd come off and end up shooting myself!
Modern handguns (I would assume all...but at least all of mine do) have safety devices in place so that the firing pin cannot contact the round unless the trigger is pulled...so in the event of a get-off that would be the least of my worries.

How many of your states require you to have a concealed carry permit? Our great state of California won't even let you carry exposed now. It must be cased or have a concealed carry permit.
Mel
You have to have a permit to carry concealed in TX.

I usually carry a Glock 19, but have the urge to carry something a little smaller...or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get a j-frame haha...

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I carry a S&W 44 mag. on my fanny pack belt in a full flap holster. I am in hopes of never needing to draw it in anger.

I would like to share my thoughts on Semi-Autos as a side arm while riding.

" If a person were to somehow bump the magazine release while riding, they could now be in possession of a single shot."

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise
Good point Ron! My Glock, even in a HQ Mitch Rosen holster could be hit in such a way to release the mag. Unlikely and never happened but it is possible. I have often considered grinding down the mag release button to make such an event near impossible. For those who do not carry with a round in the pipe they could end up with a zero shot paper weight!

Mel, here in NY you need a permit to even legally own a hand gun and a concealed carry permit to take it from your property. Other states have some weird laws regarding open and concealed carry and still others have completely ridiculous rules when carrying in or on a motor vehicle. I am completely legit carrying concealed, locked and loaded here in NY and PA but if I step one foot in NJ I am a criminal. I live right at the intersection of those three states and have to be very careful not to take the wrong road.

GaryL

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm also a fan of the 10mm Glock!! I carry a G20 for backpacking/hunting/anytime I legally can. I think I'll go buy a 29 this afternoon, as the 20 is a little too big. Made my appt. to get my ccw a couple of weeks ago. Only have to wait a year:(
glock20.JPG

1 - 20 of 579 Posts