TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit: 13 May 2013: Due to the Federal Governments Sequestration, this trip has been postponed until summer 2014.

I can also email you the GPS Tracks (gpx) for the separate days. These tracks are filtered by removing a ton of via points. Reason being, my gps can't handle the full gps tracks. I do have the the full ride gps file (unfiltered), but is missing one of the day 3 options. My email is: [email protected].

You can download the tracks from Advrider in there "Laying Down Tracks" thread Here

Edit: 29 December 2012
; Well, seems to be enough interest to throw out the date's I've been thinking of. My first choice is July 20-27, second choice July 27 - Aug 3. I like your bucket list thinking!

Something for y'all to mull over during our winter slow down. Posted this on the TW Thread on Advrider and the TW200 Forumotion, forums as well.

This is an open invitation for anyone (or no one) to join me for all of, or any part of, a ride I'm planning in late July or early August - summer 2013. Thought I would put it out there, just in case someone is interested.

I'm in my early planning stages and have generally mapped out my route with a tentative itinerary. I do have some logistical issues to iron out, but here is my plan (idea). I've included a map for you to follow along with the written part.

This will be a trip of about 700-800 miles (or more) and 7-8 days (or more), with camping and some exploring time scheduled in. This trip will be about 99% Forest Service logging road, maybe some trails on exploring day's, and just a few miles of pavement to connect from one spot to another.

Though you will need to be mostly self-sufficient (extra gas, food, cooking stuff), there's a chance of a support vehicle. My wife wants to go, but doesn't ride a motorcycle. With that said, she may do the trip in our camper w/utility trailer, driving ahead to the days planned camp spot. If this pans out, this may work out as a support vehicle for gas, break downs, ambulance etc).

Day 1: My house (Sandhollow, ID) to No Business Lookout area. About 105 miles. Plan to visit a Fire Lookout/geocaches. (Easy Forest Service Rds)

Day 2: No Business Lookout to Carey Dome/War Eagle Mtn. area. About 80 miles. Gas available when going through McCall. (Easy Forest Service Rds-paved near McCall)

Day 3: Remain in Carey Dome/War Eagle Mtn. area and explore area mines/lookouts/trails and possible side trip down to Salmon River. (Moderate Forest Service Rds, possible steep sections, and unknown difficulty trails).

Area around Carey Dome Lookout War Eagle Mtn

On French Creek rd heading down from Burgdorf to the Salmon River.

Day 4: Carey Dome/California Lake area to Stibnite, ID. About 90 miles. Possible gas available in Yellowpine, ID (short side trip). Plan to visit mines/towns/geocaches and lookouts along the way. (Some dangerous sections (steep curvy grades) of Forest Service Rds between Warren, ID and Big Creek).

Big Creek, ID

Day 5: Remain in Stibnite area and explore old mines/lookouts/geocaches. (Easy to ? rds/trails)

Day 6: Stibnite to Deadwood Reservoir. About 100 miles. Possible gas available in Yellowpine, ID (Easy to moderate Forest Service Rds)

Day 7: Deadwood Res. to ?? Garden Valley/Crouch, ID. About 80 miles. (Easy to Moderate Forest Service Rds. Short section of pavement from Scott Mtn road to GV). Lookouts/geocaches along the way. If time is right, Crouch has an outdoor musical theater which is fun to watch. Gas available in Garden Valley and Crouch.

Day 8: Garden Valley to home. About 80 miles. (Easy to Moderate Forest Service Rds. Intermittent pavement sections near GV and then Emmett, ID to home.

Well, there you go. Something for you all to chew on over the winter!

Here's a map.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
probably not in my cards, but that looks like a great ride!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks fabulous Admiral, thanks for mapping that all out. My riding partner and her boyfriend (he just bought a tw and he lives in Boise) could potentially be in since we are in ID. I was wondering if it may be possible to join the ride at some point since I may not be able to come for the full 7+ days. Anyway, something to think about. Thanks for the very advance notice helps with work scheduling. I finally got a trailer this summer so we could bring all 3 bikes easily.

Mtn girl

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering if it may be possible to join the ride at some point since I may not be able to come for the full 7+ days.

Mtn girl

Absolutely, joining in and riding 1 to 2 days or even a couple hours of just one day would be great.

And a sneak peak into my future ride planning. Originally, this years ride was gonna be called the Big Loop Ride, with the Bigger Loop Ride the following year. I changed the same cause it sounded stupid. Having said this though, summer of 2014 (as of yet unnamed route), my plan is a loop/tour riding the Magruder Corridor road, most likely west to east, down to Salmon, Challis, through Sun Valley then back west to my home area. Of, course this is about 1 1/2 years away, but this summers ride will be a good test.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 2014 sounds great and ties in with my partner and I thinking we should host a ride combining the Sawtooth Valley and Ketchum areas. We did a ride to Pole Creek Summit (Smiley Creek area) and over into the next drainage that was amazing and also up Trail Creek road (Ketchum) over into Copper Basin this summer. Amazing camping spots, views and all levels of riding.

Idaho is too amazing not to share!

·
Registered
9 Posts
This looks like a cool ride. Would love to go... if I've found the right (any?) TW by then! Regarding gas in Yellowpine, it's been several years (2008) since I've been there (via snowmobile), but at the time the gas station was a small tank truck filled with gas. Is this still the case? Very cool area and I told myself I wanted to get back there in the summer sometime.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mdmead,

Yellow Pine kind of sketchy on gas no doubt. Late 90's we walked into the bar & grill and bartender called someone who came in town and pumped the gas. . .from pumps back then not a truck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would be interested in part of it for sure. I have been from Deadwood up Thunder Mountain around to Warm lake and back to Deadwood Res. about 20 years ago. My buddy and I planned to ride from Darby Mtn West over to around Elk City but we planned it mid June 2012 and ran into weather. I've been up Artilery Dome back in 99 but I heard it since burned up there.

Ogden, Utah

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've camped and traveled around Warm Lake and Deadwood many times. If you're talking about Thunder Mtn on past Yellow PineStibnite, this is an area I've not been too. I've always wanted to explore the mines/roads/lookouts around Stibnite for many years, which is why I included this area on my trip. I've read on Advrider that there is now some active mining in Stibnite, so I hope there will still be some access. Also in the same Advrider thread, looks like Thunder Mtn access is blocked off due to it being in the Frank Church Wilderness area and requires a 6 mile hike to visit it now. Still, I want to explore.

Artillery Dome is an area I want to visit as well, but we plan on making this a mule ride and not motorcycle. I'm not surpirsed anymore of running into burned area's. So many fires past and present, so I just go.

Magruder Corridor road is the route between Darby, MT and Elk City. Our trip was about 3 years ago. As you found out, generally this road isn't open until mid July, mainly due to snow on the road. Sometimes open in early July during low snow years, but really iffy. We went in late August and didn't have any problems. However, Magruder Corridor road is in my 2014 TW plans!

Hope to see you out on the trail!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Artillery Dome is an area I want to visit as well, but we plan on making this a mule ride and not motorcycle. I'm not surpirsed anymore of running into burned area's. So many fires past and present, so I just go.

Magruder Corridor road is the route between Darby, MT and Elk City. Our trip was about 3 years ago. As you found out, generally this road isn't open until mid July, mainly due to snow on the road. Sometimes open in early July during low snow years, but really iffy. We went in late August and didn't have any problems. However, Magruder Corridor road is in my 2014 TW plans!

Hope to see you out on the trail!

I'd like to participate in some of this, hopefully we won't have quite as bad a fire season in 2013!
I wanted to do the Magruder this summer, but the fires North of the Salmon had already gotten bad by the beginning of August. I hope there's some of it left!

I spent most of August, September, and half of October trying to figure out where to go to get out of the smoke! (hint: the Coast worked)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I remember we drove up out of Cascade then camped around Warm Lake. From there we went North I believe up to Thunder Mountain Road. I only remember one detour we took off of Thunder Mountain down to a lake. Back then a well set up jeep could make it up the road a ways but I have heard rock slides have limited access to ATV and single track. I have also heard that the mines are running again so not sure if it can be made all the way into Yellow or not. From the map work I have done there looks to be a lot of single track from Atlantic City area over towards Deadwood Res.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd like to participate in some of this, hopefully we won't have quite as bad a fire season in 2013!
I wanted to do the Magruder this summer, but the fires North of the Salmon had already gotten bad by the beginning of August. I hope there's some of it left!

I spent most of August, September, and half of October trying to figure out where to go to get out of the smoke! (hint: the Coast worked)

You reminded me of something, well a couple things. I'll have to plan re-routes if there are any fires. Though I did the Magruder in late August a few years ago, my sister and her husband got turned around on the Magruder due to fire closure back in August 2006. Magruder seems to be famous for it's closures, whatever the reason. Still great road to ride though!

I remember we drove up out of Cascade then camped around Warm Lake. From there we went North I believe up to Thunder Mountain Road. I only remember one detour we took off of Thunder Mountain down to a lake.

Believe you are correct about the "Old Thunder Mtn. Rd". Just yesterday, I saw a picture from a post on the geocaching website of the Old Thunder Mtn. Rd after they departed Meadow Creek Lookout. I think you're right, washouts and rock-slides. With all the Intel about the Old Thunder Mtn. Rd, I (we) will be taking the easy way to the lookout from Monumental Summit. Though tempting to explore, I'll rule this route out other than maybe a side trip knowing it's a deadend.

We should be able to drive through or around the mines and continue on the roads, just not be able to stop and walk around exploring the mines much, if they are being actively worked.

I might just pencil this in on the calendar. Looks like a real kick!

I was hoping you'd consider this! It would be great to have you along. Your good company!

This weekend I'm gonna start looking into some dates as there appears to be some interest in this ride by others. Picking some dates may help with vacation decisions, (though I'll still need to be flexible).

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Admiral,

Just read your post to D and she and I both think it would be a HOOT. Should have work calmed down by then and we would love to come participate!

Thank you!

Bag

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow Admiral! I wish! Hmmm let's see ... if you somehow needed a chaplain I could justify it as ministry and... : ) Just kidding! Hope you have a GREAT time. btw - were you in the Navy?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Admiral, Keep reminding us of the dates. Idaho has great rocks, forests, topography, people and hot springs.

I'll never be any younger than I am now; I'll never be any healthier than I am now, and . . . I'll never have any more money than I have now so its time to kick ass on the bucket list. Tom

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just read your post to D and she and I both think it would be a HOOT. Should have work calmed down by then and we would love to come participate!

I sure hope you two can!

Wow Admiral! I wish! Hmmm let's see ... if you somehow needed a chaplain I could justify it as ministry and... : ) btw - were you in the Navy?

It would be great to have a traveling chaplain along. After a day or two, I'll run out of all the prayer's I can remember and will resort to making stuff up!
Actually retired Army! At my present job, several years ago one of our supervisors was a nickname giver. If you had the same first name as someone else, bam you got a nickname. Mine is because of my last name = Admiral Nelson. Not sure if it's because of the British Admiral Nelson or from the 60's TV Show Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

Keep reminding us of the dates. I'll never be any younger than I am now; I'll never be any healthier than I am now, and . . . I'll never have any more money than I have now so its time to kick ass on the bucket list. Tom

Well, seems to be enough interest to throw out the date's I've been thinking of. My first choice is Edit: 13 May 2013 changed to July 2014

·
Registered
85 Posts
Admiral, I did some work for a couple of weeks at or near the Stibnite mine many moons ago for a contractor working at that time. That's a nice memory thanks. Stayed at a nice bed and breakfast in Yellow Pine. I remember watching the deer come in at night to the back of the lodge. I'm from south eastern Idaho, so know most of Idaho, but that is some country back in there. That looks like a real nice ride and definately worth seeing. Generalizing here and this prolly goes back over 25 years, but your going into areas more remote and pristine than many have ever seen. Puts a high fly in fly over country...
I like what Tom (peruano) said. You get along to a certain point and realize you ain't gettin' any of these days back and there's many more days behind than in front. I also have good memories from the Ketchum, Sun Valley area, which it sounds you may also ride. A little spendy to stay in those parts as I recall, but also nice country to ride through.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Edit: 29 December 2012; Well, seems to be enough interest to throw out the date's I've been thinking of.

+1 on the interest. This sounds like a lot of fun! Please keep the updates coming.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts