TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I do not own a TW200--yet! I am coming from the maxi scooter world of late. I had many different bikes over the years but my first was a ct70 back in 72 or 73 and always missed it. Anyways The TW200 does interest me quite a bit. Has anyone ridden two up with it once in a while. What about carriers for it. Always wanted to put a milk crate on the back of my bike lol. I am really not sure what I can expect from a TW200. What about comfort or buzziness at highway speeds? I am in northern Ontario so not many 100kph highways up here. Any advice, suggestions etc would be appreciated. Is it worth buying a used 2001 for 3k when a brand new one is only 6K.
tks
GHB

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Some will get (but you should not expect when making a purchase) a bike that will hold 65 MPH (105kph) on even a slight incline with just the rider. 60 mph (95kph) is a more reasonable expectation. A lot of vibration above 55mph (88kph) - though nothing that hurts the engine. Raising the gearing will reduce the vibes for a more pleasant ride - but due to limited power; you will not gain higher speed; and may actually lose top end speed. Seat comfort is not great. Others that ride two up should be able to give you an idea of at what speeds and for how long. Multiple options for racks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
im overweight and take my wife for a ride sometimes.its ok at 50mph. by myself it will go 55-60. its sounds best at 45mph. i dont like any boxes or milk crates behind me. there are situations where you might have to slide off the back or let it come out from under you like on a steep hill or laying it down .

·
Registered
93 Posts
I ride mine solo all the time at 90kph (55mph) with stock gearing. It feels fine to me at that speed, and I weigh about 200 lbs. Two-up, I'm sure it would be fine for short trips at that speed, but I think trying to maintain a steady 100 kph two-up for hours would be too much.

As for carriers, there are plenty of different racks on the aftermarket, and of course Yamaha have an overpriced rack they'd be happy to sell you.

As for buying used versus new, how handy are you with a wrench? If you buy a used one, you might get one that has been well-cared for, or you might get one that has been abused. These bikes do take a lot of punishment, and compared to most streetbikes they are very easy to do basic maintenance and repairs on. If you are not that mechanically competent, you may want to get new or at least hold out for a low-mileage used in really nice shape.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hopefully Apolloha will chime in soon. I think his wife rides with him quite frequently and can answer any concerns about two up riding.

Marty

·
Registered
768 Posts
Spelling error corrected above.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My wife and I ride two up when camping and I take the TW200 with us. We've ridden from West Yellowstone campgrounds throughout that park as well as Glacier National Park's highway to the sun road. It's more than capable. I'll see if I can find photos....

Here's one in Glacier;

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a 2018 with 3400 miles on it. 3300 miles were done 2 up riding. That is the sole reason I chose the TW200. Me and my wife wanted to ride dirt roads and tame trails in the mountains. This was the only dual sport she could get on and off of without a step stool. I could not ask for a better motorcycle for what we do. We do ride pavement some. I can tell you it will do 70 mph with both of us. It is really close to pegged but it will do it just fine. From what I have read on here, it seems that the newer TWs are faster on top end than some of the older ones. No scientific study. Just my observation. I also did the "hard break-in". You can YouTube that and decide what you think. I changed the oil about 10 times so far. Changed the air filter once. I have Seatconcepts seat, cyclerack and their bag supports, saddle bags(free), rotopax 1gal, mud flap, oring chain(only because I got it in a box of parts from someone on here), jimbo windshield, mirror extenders, grip puppies ( thanks LT), and a backrest for the wife. We can usually make it 30-45 minutes at a time before getting numb butt. Just stop and get off and walk around 5 min and hop back on. There are faster, more powerful, and bigger bikes. I wouldn't trade mine for ANY of them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just buy it and try it out. These things hold their value and sell easy. You won't be able to lose much money on it and might even make a buck.... but then, I'm thinking you'll get addicted and keep it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Why is it that no one ever says: just buy it - if you don't like it; or it doesn't work like I said it would; I will buy it from you for what you paid for it.:)

And NO; I am NOT going to be the 1st one to start saying that!:):):):):)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts