TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here. Elevation about 600ft. I am picking up a used 2013 tw it is stock and am wondering how much power gain is to be expected with a FMF slip on and a jet kit with K&N filter? Prob been discussed here a million times but my searches didn't produce much.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
You can sink lot of money into a TW trying to get more get up and go and end up with a noisy bike and not much more. Proceed cautiously is my advice and do a lot of research here and on the web before ordering.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have a softail with straight fishtails not worried about noise as long as it gets a power increase if its no benefit then no reason to spend 250$ on the slip on. Would love to hear from someone who has done these mods

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I did a DG(essentially the same as the FMF) on mine a couple years ago and zero benefit, no more power felt anywhere in the power band and felt slower off the line. Noise went way up and putting he db killer in it felt less powerful that stock. I sold it on ebay after that....

Carb jetting is a different story. I have put the 130 main in and shimmed the needle and adjusted the pilot screw. Much better throttle response from that setup.

·
Super Moderator
18,069 Posts
Not worth it in my opinion, Yamaha really made a pretty good muffler. You won't gain much, if any.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have to agree with Scott and JB. My 2014 came to me with a FMF PowerCore 4 muffler already on it, and..."possibly" been rejetted. I say "possibly", because I know for certain that the air/fuel mixture screw had NOT been touched yet, because the plug was still in the carb, and I had to remove it to make a slight adjustment.

As they said ^.....money is much better spent on other things for the TW, rather than a noisy muffler. It does sound cool, and much better than the DG muffler (that is TOO loud), but buy a new front tire...buy a Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, buy enough gas to get your butt to Moab, Utah, March 10th - 18th, 2016. :D
Tie downs with LEDs... check
Wolfman/ MSR extra fuel... check
DID chain... check
Manracks rack... check
Luggage tail bag... check
Jimbo screen... check
Seat Concepts cover/ foam... check
Gas for Moab... check
New front tire? On the list but what to buy, what to buy? So many choices, so many threads, I'm frozen with indecision. I ride street a lot, dirt roads, and very little single track. Whaddaya suggest?

·
Super Moderator
18,069 Posts
Shinko SR 428's or TW 203 and 204's probably. Not a lot of choices.

Reactions: munchmeister

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My first purchases will be

jet kit
k&N filter
protaper atv high
rear fender eliminator
cycleracks rear rack
headlight guard ( it just looks cool)

·
Super Moderator
18,069 Posts
I would do one or the other, street or dirt tires. I wouldn't mix them.

Reactions: jb882

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Shinko 241 Trials tire....it is what the discriminating TW riders...in the know...are using. ;)
11852570_10205988879113140_389352842_o.jpg one of these days I will get around to putting mine on now that it is under 100 degrees.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Keep the rear.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Lets see here, a 10 or 15% increase in horses would be HUGE wouldn't it?

16 horses X .15 = 2.4 horse increase. You just went from 16 to 18.4! That's almost half a lawn mower increase in power!

WOW!

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Ok....i'll add my 2 cents, wear out the tires and then try the Shinko 241 Trials, unless you just need to spend money. The stock tires aren't that bad. The TW is a light weight dual sport, it works well if treated that way.
I got the 241 for Moab and when I return I will put the 244 back on the front tire is very easy to change.

Reactions: TWilight
1 - 19 of 19 Posts