TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally plated my '89, and took it for a ride (further than up and down the street)

When I release the clutch, the power does not transfer to the wheel immediately. There is a sort of "lag" that occurs.

I thought it was the chain being too loose, so I tightened it one notch and tried again. Still happens.

It is most noticeable from a dead stop in first gear, or from 1st to 2nd gear. Not as noticeable in 3rd 4th or 5th.

Clutch return spring is installed correctly.

Any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Clutch cable too tight? There should be a little "Free play" in the cable so the clutch can fully engage and not be held partially released by the cable/lever.

·
Registered
343 Posts
A video is worth ....a bunch of words. Also worthwhile to check and make sure the cable isn't hanging up and not moving smoothly at the end of the travel where there's not as much return pressure...cable casing full of gunk, kinked cable, cable jammed somewhere along it's length...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies.

There is good free play in the cable, not too much but enough. It seems to get worse the longer I ride.

If I dump the clutch at higher rpm it seems to lock up good but slipping the clutch from dead stop (like when starting out at a green light etc) it really shows.

I had the clutch apart when I replaced the clutch cover gasket, and the kickstart assembly. Maybe I didn't reinstall it properly. I missed the part about aligning the arrow with the mark on the case. That being said, if I unhook the cable and push forward on the arm, it stops at the line on the case, which is the instructions for adjustment on install.

I'm leaning towards replacing the clutch and springs, since the engine has unknown mileage and I budgeted for these sort of things.

As for oil, I had a sticky carb float and it did have gas in the crank at one point. I have done a couple oil changes since then, using yamalube... but maybe the discs are still contaminated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts