TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a kick in my bike, and wondered if cases with a kick and without, the 01 and newer are identical?

Guy at Dealership said grinding or modifying the case is necessary... even though nobody ever mentioned clearance issue on their installs here... were some bikes this way?

Also, more importantly, is there anything inside the case on a bike with factory kick like a bushing or sleeve where the shaft goes into the case? It looks like the shaft will just be going directly into the aluminum case on my late model (non factory kick) TW... actually assembly is in position already without side cover on yet and it seems "wiggly". Is re-install of the case what keeps it all together, OR am I missed some thing on shaft end or case hole. I guess it just seems weird that the steel shaft will just but twisting inside that aluminum with no bushing or support.

Thanks for the help in advance

·
Registered
457 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Hi T-Dub-Luv,

See my responses in
Red.

"Getting a kick in my bike, and wondered if cases with a kick and without, the 01 and newer are identical?
Yes, unless Yamaha has changed something in the last few model years and nobody has yet reported it on this forum.

Guy at Dealership said grinding or modifying the case is necessary... even though nobody ever mentioned clearance issue on their installs here... were some bikes this way? If you are using the stock TW engine cases and right engine side cover, there is no grinding or case modification required.

Also, more importantly, is there anything inside the case on a bike with factory kick like a bushing or sleeve where the shaft goes into the case? It looks like the shaft will just be going directly into the aluminum case on my late model (non factory kick) TW... actually assembly is in position already without side cover on yet and it seems "wiggly". Is re-install of the case what keeps it all together, OR am I missed some thing on shaft end or case hole. I guess it just seems weird that the steel shaft will just but twisting inside that aluminum with no bushing or support. The inboard end of the kickstarter shaft fits into a machined hole in the right side of the crankcase and the outboard end fits through the right side cover through an oil seal. This is adequate support for the loads that this shaft sees.

Thanks for the help in advance"

I hope this helps,

Brian

·
Registered
445 Posts
E0200F4B-8F85-4D28-A4F5-A52F638A8AA7.jpeg 6B931130-32BF-4E8D-B624-9B42537E072C.jpeg
Before and after the kick shaft installed

0B0C8F3D-060E-434D-A473-9125A7C16C11.jpeg
Stick a socket extension in and tap with a hammer and the plug comes out of the case. That’s the only thing you need to do to the case.

I’ll try to finally get my kick install post done tonight. Will post a link when I do.

ETA: For some reason the pics are upside down so either stand on your head or turn your monitor upside down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts