TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for the crappy cell phone quality and my friend's silliness lol. The hill is actually a fair bit bigger than it looks in the video; you can only see about three quarters of it (not the first part) from the angle of the camera. Getting up it is also a fair bit more difficult than it looks; it's easy to get it wrong and wheelie off to the side instead of continuing up the hill ;D

*https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10154433275760063&l=3925976399999510923*

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hills like this are impossible on a stock DR200 or TW200, although it MIGHT happen with the right gearing...

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
You're right KJ, the video is pretty marginal. However, there is no doubt in 'my mind' that that hill is, very steep. Can't imagine phones have any magic software that makes hills look steeper than they are. As well, I am perplexed as to why virtually all video(s) minimize grade angle.

Not to be condescending, but at your age, we all have more balls than brains. Again, that hill looks VERY STEEP.

The bike looks to be, in my mind, a very nice middle ground. Not to heavy, and a just enough horse-power. Take care, and enjoy. Thanks. Gerry

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yea I mean it's not the steepest hill I've ever done, but it's up there. This one does get quite a bit steeper up toward the top where the video quality makes it really hard to judge. I've definitely done some stupid things on bikes, although I am a whole lot more careful on the street than I used to be. As for the KLX, I absolutely love this thing. The entire project from start to finish has gone exactly as I envisioned. Everything through the whole build process and break in and all... It's a little heavier than a TW, but still a lot lighter than the Japanese 650 dual sports! I also like that the seat height is 35 inches - tall compared to a TW, but still a little lower than most of the "serious" dual sports. It meets or exceeds my expectations as far as performance. The 331 definitely has enough power, very easy to power wheelie in first gear. It still only puts out, probably, about 28 or 29 crank horsepower, which is technically quite low for a 331. But I'm running stock exhaust, cylinder head, and carb. I rejetted the carb to match the big bore, and it runs flawlessly throughout the rev range, save for occasionally exhibiting a slight hiccup around 4 or 5 thousand RPM, under low throttle input. It doesn't rev out like the stock motor did (10,500 RPM vs about 9,000 RPM "redline" with the 331). But where the stock bike would bog like hell in the low end and mid range, the big bore will easily accelerate, even spinning the hell out of the tire on steep inclines. It will even pull third gear up big hills with deep, loose dirt - hills the DR200 can't make even in second, although you do generally need at least 30 mph for those, since third can stretch all the way to 55! I can't wait to get this beast out to Jawbone/Mojave area here in Socal, where there are a bunch of true third gear hills! There are definitely some 50 mph monsters out there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts