TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Houston. This is my first post here. I have been doing a lot of research on this forum and first of all want to thank you all for your threads, and especially the "post a photo of your bike" thread, which helped me come to the conclusion that a TW is the bike for me!

So...I went to the local dealer today hoping to see a TW for the first time in person. I want to sit on one because I worry that my height may be a problem with this bike. The dealer did not have one on the showroom floor but they have one in the warehouse "with a dent on the tank". Their price on a new (undented) TW is $5500 after 495 for shipping, 495 prep, taxes, etc.

The deal that they are offering me is $4300 out the door with the normal warranty but the tank dent and scratch on the rear plastic left un-repaired. I wanted to get the opinions of you guys on this deal. It is a 2010 model. They said that the damage occurred in shipping and the bike has 0 miles on it. The photos below are of the damaged parts. The damage on the plastic is not as visible in the photo but I will post anyway. It is an abrasion along the edge.

Any advice that you can give me will be greatly appreciated! Cheers! J

·
Registered
42 Posts
At least there would be no anxiety about the first dent in your new bike. Price out a new fuel tank to see if they are giving you a deal. They should have been able to claim shipping damages from Yamaha or the transport company. Yamaha Canada never gives deals on leftover TW's, how about Yamaha in the USA? make them a lower offer, if you are interested, also check to see who else has 2010's they want to sell in your area, and what pricing they have. $1000 usd for shipping and freight is pretty high.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Too expensive, I went to my local dealer, they wanted $3900 for a 2010 with 475 miles, I bought a 2006 with 490 miles for $2700. Same bike same miles, just find a used one that won't have a dented tank. There are lots of low mile TW's out there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The MSRP on a 2010 TW200 from the Yamaha site is $4190, so I wouldn't say that was a good deal. This past summer, I picked up my brand new '09 with 0 miles (when it was on the showroom floor) for $3400.

Dan

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. What y'all are saying is kinda what I was thinking as well. This is my first bike purchase, so I was wondering if all of the extra 1300 above MSRP is normal in a bike purchase. The FJ Cruiser that will pull this thing to the trail heads cost me WAY under MSRP even after TTL and dealer prep/shipping.

Bottom line.....what do YOU think that a fair out the door price for a bike in this condition would be?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Thanks for the replies. What y'all are saying is kinda what I was thinking as well. This is my first bike purchase, so I was wondering if all of the extra 1300 above MSRP is normal in a bike purchase. The FJ Cruiser that will pull this thing to the trail heads cost me WAY under MSRP even after TTL and dealer prep/shipping.

Bottom line.....what do YOU think that a fair out the door price for a bike in this condition would be?

I agree with the replies here. I bought an 2008 for $3800. It had a bent clutch lever (which they replace) even though I just bent the original. PLUS, they gave me a $450 Shoei full face helmet. So, out the door, I paid $3400, plus the new lever (which I still haven't used) and the helmet.

If it is a 2010 and you show interest, they should drop the price. They would have it in the showroom if they thought they could get the price they told you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just bought a 2010 TW200 2 months ago and paid around $3,800 and it was in perfect shape with 10 miles on it. Re-Negotiate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I paid $3400 otd with all taxes for a new 06 TW200 in 07. Delivery charges are included in the MSRP. Setup is the dealers problem. OTD price is all that matters, the last three new bikes I've bought by offering round figure OTD with the stipulation that this is my only offer. I got all three bikes immediately without any hassle. A new tank is about $450 @ cheap cycle parts. Cycle trader has new 08 to 11's listed, lots. I have gotten quotes from Honda East, Maumee, OH, several times. They quote OTD over the phone or net. Great prices. I've used their quotes to leverage dealers closer to me. They have got 2010 TW's for about $3k and 11's for about $3800. Even with shipping the deals are good.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I'd offer $3000 otd, then buy a Clarke tank and an o-ring chain off the internet. Shipping is a standard add-on, not part of the MSRP. Dealer prep is a rip-off--they pay some flunkie $15-20 to assemble the bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just bought a new 2010 from a local dealer here in Michigan for $3300 out the door including an extended warranty. Check Cycle Trader on line; there's a post from a dealer in Ohio listing new 2010s for $2999. I used this as leverage with my dealer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree with hobo! I bought one here in Michigan several months ago for just under $3000. That is WAY to much! check craigslist! I just did a quick search and found several in TX for under $2000....

·
Registered
106 Posts
ohhhh yeah i forgot. i had acquired a non running 89 tw a few years ago. i wanted to restore it. the inside of the gas tank was so corroded and discussing i figured a new tank would be better than trying to coat the inside. it was just to far gone. anyways i called up a local dealer and asked about a replacement tank.... they wanted $400!!!!. there was noooo way

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just under six hundred for a tank alone so I would really do some negotiating. Even if you don't buy a new one you should at least get it knocked off the top of the price.

·
Registered
404 Posts
This is a great site to find bikes online: www.bikefinds.com It searches in Craigslist and other sites and puts it all together in one place.

This is what comes up when you search for TW200: LINK

To answer your question, they are asking way too much for it.

Unless I wanted the latest first year model of a new vehicle (i.e. the new Tenere) I always try to look for used cars/bikes. You should get 25-30% off the bat from brand new to used. Then you can get some great deals if you are patient, do your homework, etc.

This is a great site with a lot of very knowledgeable people willing to help, listen to their advice!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wonder if there are any daring PDR pros out there that would accept the challenge of massaging out the dent in the tank instead of replacing it, but then the whole overpriced bike to begin with kind of negates any effort. Unless the price gets a reality check i would just keep looking into the other deals to be had.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
A year and a half ago, I bought a new 750 Honda Aero that had been damaged in the crate. The gas tank was dented less than that and a chrome shield on the exhaust was dented very slightly. With tax , set up, and licensing, the out the door price was 4,400 dollars for a machine that was normally priced at 7,800.

I think I got a good deal.

Your damaged TW is not a bargain. The dealer is taking advantage of your inexperience with buying motorcycles. I would tell him so, and also tell him that you will not be dealing with him in the future. Do not subsidize greed. It only encourages more greed.

Phelonius

This machine before I added the sidecar and windshield

·
Registered
176 Posts
Jason. DO NOT BUY THAT BIKE FROM THAT DEALER! In fact, post the same original post on twtex.com and let the rest of Texas know how "good of a deal" that dealer was trying to sell you.
If I were you, I'd go pick up the bike in Alvin that Boret so graciously posted for you and never look back. In fact, if I hadn't of just purchased a new travel travel, I'd be heading to Alvin right now to get it and have me a pair of TW's.

The irony of this situation is they want to charge you for the "prep" which is what caused the damage in the first place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts