TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is a 2006 that I picked up for $1,800 bucks thinking it was a good deal. My first mistake was violating my own rule of buying bikes at night and thus not being able to really inspect the condition of the bike. The seller said it runs but bogs when you gas it which i confirmed. First I had to straighten up all the bent parts than I cleaned the carb and even bought a re-build kit thinking that was all. It ran for about 10 minutes and then it just died. I tried to crank it and would turn but not restart. I noticed the plug was getting plenty of gas so I figured i'm dealing with and electrical problem. I replaced the ECU, ignition coil and the starter solenoid only because the case on the original was busted. I checked the plug and even tested it for spark which seem to be faint but probably ok. After the parts swap I can get it to start and run poorly if I give lots of throttle input. If I let go of the throttle it dies. FWIW the gas is new and all fluids and filters are new. Its almost like this thing is not firing in time.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Can you verify the carb jet #'s sounds like it is seriously over fueling. Also the choke enricher is a fuel adder and you can inspect it's operation with the top plastic cap off.

Just want to make sure you know you can leave the cables unhooked and and just loosen the two boot screws and rotate the carb 90 degrees to look tinker or test and then rotate it back quickly and tightern the t2 screws to check the result. Makes thing progress much faster.

P.S. carb issues out number ignition problems on a bike the new 20 to 1, I would guess

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D Hang in there, we'll help you...

·
Registered
925 Posts
If you have spark do not do any electrical work A fowled plug (covered with gas) can be a problem. Clean it good. I see it a lot on my small motors after sitting for the winter.

Also, the fact that it ran for 10 minutes and stopped is a sign that something is blocking the gas. These CV carbs have very small passages and they plug very easily.

Ethanol in the gas? Ouch!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mine is a 2006 that I picked up for $1,800 bucks thinking it was a good deal. My first mistake was violating my own rule of buying bikes at night and thus not being able to really inspect the condition of the bike. The seller said it runs but bogs when you gas it which i confirmed. First I had to straighten up all the bent parts than I cleaned the carb and even bought a re-build kit thinking that was all. It ran for about 10 minutes and then it just died. I tried to crank it and would turn but not restart. I noticed the plug was getting plenty of gas so I figured i'm dealing with and electrical problem. I replaced the ECU, ignition coil and the starter solenoid only because the case on the original was busted. I checked the plug and even tested it for spark which seem to be faint but probably ok. After the parts swap I can get it to start and run poorly if I give lots of throttle input. If I let go of the throttle it dies. FWIW the gas is new and all fluids and filters are new. Its almost like this thing is not firing in time.

Anyone have any ideas?
If it ran 10 minutes and seemed ok but died then I bet there was some junk went back into the carb. (0% chance it is it dirt it is in the pilot jet, you can extract it easily on the bike by doing the rotate carb in the boots deal. Drop the bowl and blow the jets out again and I would recommend one of these filters, a lot of the guys here run them as a first like of defense.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJWGHJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tank was a disaster of rust when I first brought it home so I cleaned it with vinegar and it came out pretty good. I have an inline filter like the one depicted on the link but that doesn't mean the carb is not fouled again. I'll try cleaning it. I'll post the numbers of the jets once I get it apart again. My petcock is pretty FUBAR but its getting gas so fuel supply doesn't seem the be the issue. Its almost like its missing. When I crank it a move the throttle to half it "sputter runs". Seems to be smoking quite a bit also. I don't recall it doing that before. I checked the intake and exhaust valve clearances when I brought the little piglet home, made the proper adjustments to bring everything into spec and it ran OK for a little while but never right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you verify the carb jet #'s sounds like it is seriously over fueling. Also the choke enricher is a fuel adder and you can inspect it's operation with the top plastic cap off.

Just want to make sure you know you can leave the cables unhooked and and just loosen the two boot screws and rotate the carb 90 degrees to look tinker or test and then rotate it back quickly and tightern the t2 screws to check the result. Makes thing progress much faster.

P.S. carb issues out number ignition problems on a bike the new 20 to 1, I would guess
Good tip:)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ya, really good !!,. Can't take credit though. Lets you do 5 tweaks to the pilot screw, needle or look at jets in the time it takes to do one pulling the carb. life saver for time spent. I still need to make me up a tool to the pilot screw in place.

Here is another of my own. After several r&r's back to back. I found when reinstalling the carb, .... go in from the left side, hook the boot from the filter housing and pull it towards you ... "I use my finger or a small 90 degree pick" ... until you can hook the carbs mating ring into the near edge of it and then you can roll the whole combo back into place while pushing it tightly to the rear as you go and let it pop into the intake. Almost all one motion once you get it started and do it a time or two. Taking advantage of that flimsy rear boot is the key.

Doug...

·
Registered
746 Posts
At some point you're gonna want to check your valve lash, too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought i had a carb problem. After reading more I'm gonna be checking valves tomorrow. First time checking with 800 miles on. Think I'll show any damage ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Problem solved I think. I disassembled the carb and cleaned everything again. I noticed that the pilot jet was loose. In my overcautious effort during prior reassembly I hit a tight spot while screwing in the pilot jet and figured I wouldn't chance tightening anymore given that many screws were over tightened on this bike and some screws were broken by the previous owner. This time I cranked everything down to the bottom put the bike together and cranked it. The bike started right up and it responded well to throttle input. The true test is tomorrow when I take it out on the road. If everything goes well off to the DMV I go to get it registered. It's been a while since I've had a carbureted bike, fuel injection really spoils you. Thank you all for all the help.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Your not the only one to have that little snag about 2 turns before the pilot jet seats, I just almost done the same thing last week, Felt like is was trying to snug lightly but there just wasn't a bottoming feel until you really got there. Still better safe than sorry. Good catch...

Reactions: Purple

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Congratulations T30. Sounds like you approached and solved problem correctly
Had you still been unsucessful getting bike to run right I would have pointed out a few observations:
Some aftermarket carb re-build kits are inferior to stock with some folks here having success going back to stock parts in the carb.
The timing chain's correct position can be readily checked if unsure what previous owner had messed with.
Basically never trust the previous owner 100%.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Now when I bought my last bike the seller and I went for a nice turkey chasing test ride to verify condition and learn bike's features. Anything for an excuse to go for one more ride with a good guy, right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts