TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping somebody would have a suggestion on how I should remove the hinge pin. I am in the process of taking apart the carb on my 95 T dub. It was so gunked up that the throttle slide was in a fixed state. The main jet is clogged shut. ( going with a 118 anyway ) I have gotten most of it apart and cleaned, except I am having trouble getting the float hinge pin out so I can clean the float valve. Is there a tip to getting this hinge pin out? I thought I would post up and ask before I break something. I was about to try a softy brush on a dremmel to clean up the shaft. ( although, I really can't see any build up ) Usually, when I've taken other carbs apart, you have to be careful that they don't fall out accidentally, not so in this case. Am I missing something? Thanks for your suggestions. Dave

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just read through the pinned thread on the new style carb about removing the float. Tomorrow, I will take a closed look to see if the older style carb has an arrow. Hopefully, it will be the same process. Dave

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Hi Dave,

Yes, there is a tip on getting that pin out and I know it is somewhere on this forum. Those support posts are fragile and easily broken if you are not careful. Please wait until someone comes along with this information before you attempt to remove that pin.

Brian

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
tiny punch smaller in diameter then pin and should "tap" right out.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
tiny punch smaller in diameter then pin and should "tap" right out.
On his 18 year old gunked up carb, I suspect it won't tap out easily.

If you are going to try the tap method, I would suggest applying penetrating oil, and make sure you put a support under the post when you tap.

I can't count the number of carbs I've seen with broken float posts.

jb

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it's out. ( and no broken arm ) It was in there pretty good. I want to note that on the older style carb, the pin pushes out in the direction away from the choke knob side of the carb. ( very small arrow ) As I read the pinned thread that explains the method for the newer style carb, it appears that the direction of removal is just the opposite. ( towards the choke knob side ) Thank you all for the help. Rubber side down, Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts