TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first put on the kit from jet kit from procycle, I was doing the naked bike thing. I had just installed a slip on muffler(fmf), k&n type cone filter, and breather filter. As well as 2.5 out on the fuel/air screw. The kit came with a new needle, 1 pilot jet, several main jet sizes, and several shims. I put in the new needle,1 shim, and the 125 main jet. Holy moly! What a difference!

I rode with that for a while...then put on 1 more shim because it was easy to do. Noticeable difference in the throttle response again. I didn't change the main jet because I mangled the shitty screws on the bottom of the carb. I had been wanting to replace those screws and try a bigger main jet.

So...fast forward to the thread posted last week or so, (best $40 jet) I read it and got pumped and went and bought new allen type screw for the carb bowl!

Put on 2 more shims(4 total) and jumped up to the 135 main jet. Was huge at low throttle but then got squishy, and would start to gurgle and sputter with full throttle.(death trap)

FINAL VERDICT!!! New pilot, needle, 3 shims, and the 130 main jet!!! Dang!!! I mean...dang!!! This is so rad!
I live in central Texas. Bout 500 feet elevation.

The throttle is super smooth in all positions now. Takes much less throttle to achieve the same speed. Way more on the top end! To hit 45-50 mph, which is usually what I cruise around at out here in the country, takes much less throttle. It will definitely blast past that tho! I will have to relearn comfy hand position now. I kept wanting to go faster and faster because my hand wanted to rest in its old position! Pretty neat! Definitely worth the money. Huge difference!

Since I already tried the next step up in jets and it didn't work, I know she is maxed out!!!
Super dope!!! Hot rod city!!!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Are those jet numbers from the ProCycle jets or are they Yamaha/Teikei jets?

jb

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
They are from the procycle jets. I know the numbers aren't universal for some reason.
Thanks for the reply. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to match up the ProCycle jet numbers with the Yamaha/Teikei numbers without actually having to buy the ProCycle kit.

jb

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I would buy the pro cycle kit, have them ship to you, you can do what you need to do with them, then send them to me, but after I started typing this, I realized my TW's are pre 2000 models. So,,,,,that won't work,,,,,right?

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure about that. I also have a Japanese jet kit. "Keyster" it is very extensive 6 main jets, 4 needles with varying taper, 3 pilot jets. The instruction were in Japanese tho. Tried a few combinations based on a graph in the instructions, but couldn't get it to start up. Put on the procycle kit, and it fired right up. I still have the Japanese jets and stuff if anyone is interested in tinkering. I will try to find the instructions as well, to make use of the graph.

·
Super Moderator
18,166 Posts
The Keyster kits have been mentioned several times here on the forum. Just throw it away. They don't work.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
.......ProCycle suggests in their instructions that come with the Jet Kit, to remove the original 126 main jet, and install a 125 main jet. That is a "suggestion".....................
From many previous posts, it has been stated that the ProCycle jet sizes do not correspond to the Yamaha/Teikei jet sizes.....unless something has changed in the last year.

I emailed them about a correlation of jet sizes and received no reply.

What would be good to know is if the ProCycle 125 jet is actually larger or smaller than the stock 126.

jb

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMG_2197.PNG

#34 @ 1 turn out, XT needle 2 shims, 135 PC main

these changes were made off the AF on the first pulls

Leaning out the pilot and needle worked well on the dyno and street.

On the full throttle pulls the 135 was the wrong direction.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thanks for the graph...but my old eyes cannot read the numbers.

max hp?

max torque?

Thanks.

jb

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
4,176 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Old thread, but thought I'd chime in on the difference in jet numbering standards. There's essentially two different standards.

For Keihin and Teikei, the # of the jet refers to the orifice diameter in mm. 130 jet= 1.30mm diameter port. Nice and easy. At least in my experience both with the TW and other bikes, Keihin/Teikei jets are interchangeable. The head shape/size may vary but this does not affect fueling. With a suitably precise set of machinist's drills, you can also drill jets to a fair degree of accuracy if needed.

Dynojet and Mikuni, the # refers to the fuel flow rate in cc per minute. However, how that number is tested seems to be a secret, since flow rate would vary widely depending on pressure and throttle position. There are charts out there that cross reference Mikuni vs Dynojet vs Keihin/Teikei, and I've found these to be generally fairly accurate, to at least get you a good baseline.

Now when you get into generic jets, it's a total crap shoot as to what you're getting. Not saying you can't get a good result with generic jets, but you need to stick to the same set/brand to have any sort of consistency. If you're swapping between say a genuine TK 130 and a generic 128 (that was made to equal a Mikuni 128), your tuning is going to be all over the place.

·
Registered
996 Posts
If I were to follow your instructions to the letter with the procycle kit, what tuning alterations should I be mindful of in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan as far as altitude and climate are concerned?

Please give me as much of an explanation as you can so I am understanding what I am doing as I go. Thanks

Not to brag...I am dialed in so well that in eleven degrees she starts on the first kick and idles strong and loud then the choke goes in a notch after about two minutes and then another notch, then she just goes...no spit or sputter or apologies. I do not want to undo that in the course of super tuning this beast or impair my ability to safely leave a ramp and jump a school bus while smoking a cigarette and flashing a peace sign with an 18 year old girl with low self esteem on the back wearing a halter top is holding a boom box playing I'm the Man by the killers.

Please understand how important it is to me not to disturb how good she starts and runs cold.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts