TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received mine today...!!!
I'm reading the instructions and one thing puzzles me; the directions say:

"ProCycle recommends installing the #125 Main Jet, the #34 Pilot Jet and the enclosed Jet Needle with one shim under the Needle Clip. This is a good starting point for tuning."

When they say "one shim under the Needle Clip." do they mean to remove the plastic washer and place the shim between it and the circlip, or to just slide the shim under the plastic washer? As I see it, both methods will achieve the same amount of "lift" on the needle...just wondering WHY there might be a reason for a specific location.
I have STOCK exhaust and STOCK airbox...should I follow their recommendations for the #125 jet and one shim, or should I go directly to the #130 as they did here? Procycle jet kit update (beast mode unlocked)

I am at sea level but travel to 4000' and higher.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Just received mine today...!!!
I'm reading the instructions and one thing puzzles me; the directions say:

"ProCycle recommends installing the #125 Main Jet, the #34 Pilot Jet and the enclosed Jet Needle with one shim under the Needle Clip. This is a good starting point for tuning."

When they say "one shim under the Needle Clip." do they mean to remove the plastic washer and place the shim between it and the circlip, or to just slide the shim under the plastic washer? As I see it, both methods will achieve the same amount of "lift" on the needle...just wondering WHY there might be a reason for a specific location.
I have STOCK exhaust and STOCK airbox...should I follow their recommendations for the #125 jet and one shim, or should I go directly to the #130 as they did here? Procycle jet kit update (beast mode unlocked)

I am at sea level but travel to 4000' and higher.
yes install the 125 jet as it is equal to the yamaha 128. if you hold the stock 126 and procycles's 125 up to the light, you will see that the 125 is bigger than the 126. the 34 pilot makes a huge improvement in starting. and if i remember correctly, i think i put the washer under the plastic so it didn't slide off the needle when putting it back together. i'm at 1200 ft and these changes made huge differences, both here and up to what ever heights we rode down in Utah, up to about 7500 ft. after i was used to the set up, i got greedy and thought i could get alittle more out of the TW with the 130 main, big mistake, ruined the whole thing. ran too rich and stumbled. i was using a stock filter and a DG can with a restrictive silencer

·
Registered
816 Posts
Put the shim between the white thing and the clip. I think it's a smaller diameter plus the wear point is going to be on the white plastic white thing, not a metal shim.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The white thing was stuck on there pretty good...it took some doing to get it to slip off, but I managed. Now I have a shim between the plastic and the clip.

Don't think I'll be doing any rebuild today...only 6 deg C out there and quite windy...too cold to "fix".
There are some clear spots in the West so I'm hoping things brighten up by lunchtime....then I can go for a ride!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone want to comment on mileage AFTER installation of a jet kit, not necessarily the one from PC?
Increase...decrease...unchanged?
Installed PC kit 2 years ago, have tried a number of different combinations of jet/needle height. Definite decrease of MPG in all cases.

However, after having installed an aftermarket pipe noticed quite a bit of black smoke at medium and high loads. Turned out I was running rich, but was not able to notice it, as the stock pipe was blocking the smoke somehow. After the final adjustment last summer I am around 60 MPG now. The lowest I have had is around 45 and the highest before the installation of the jet kit - almost 80.

My bike is a 225 with highway gearing (15/39 I believe. I know, I know, don't kill me over it)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Yamaha 130 jet and .020" shims on the needle. Runs pretty good in the 100 degree summer at 500ft elevation. I had .030" shims and it was too much, hard to start. I feel that while the stock main jet is lean under my summer daily driving conditions, it is probably better than the 130 by the time I am up in the mountains at 7000ft+ and 60 degree air. Can't be perfect at both with such a wide variation.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Took the plunge today.
#34 PJ and #125 MJ along with the PC supplied needle (with 1 shim).
Holy crap!!!! THIRD GEAR WHEELIES!!!!!

Naw, I'm just kidding....I don't wheelie.

While I noticed there is some improvement...I didn't get the same sort of "Oh Wow...What a difference!" epiphany that others have had....probably because I outweigh them, so the little mule has to work harder anyway.
I did notice some more "snap" in the lower gears, but still not enough to break traction. As others have mentioned...it seems as though I don't need as much throttle as I did previously, in order to reach my speed.
It will be interesting to note how she behaves at altitude, since the larger main and pilot jets will likely richen up a lot quicker/easier...although she passed the "burble test" with flying colors!
She cold-started easily with about ½ choke and came off the choke sooner than before.
My 13 mile ride used about a cup of fuel...just guessing, but that's what it looked like.

As a side note, the odometer just turned over to 4000 miles on this test-drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts