TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This holiday season afforded me quite a few hours of free time while riding on airplanes, so I decided to spend that time boning up on my knowledge of riding a preferable vehicle.

I had several people ask me if I was thinking of buying a motorcycle when they noticed what I was reading. Of course none of them were far off, I'm always thinking about buying another motorcycle!

Seeing how we as motorcyclists don't really need any more bad press though, I wasn't quite so flip in my responses to my fellow travelers. I told them the dull truth, that I've been riding for awhile but I'm always looking to get better at it.

I passed the basic MSF course 12 years ago or so, therefore much of what I read (especially early in the book) wasn't new to me, at least on a basic level. Something that I really enjoyed about the book was the way that it explained the why of what we do to control a motorcycle. I thought that this book did a good job of explaining the elementary physics of steering a motorcycle.

The author's attention-grabbing narrative at the beginning of the book might be a little hack as a literary device, but it certainly serves its purpose in this volume. My attention was grabbed, and held effectively!

Statistics are always a tricky area, and I felt like Proficient Motorcycling did a good job of qualifying the popular stats, offering some alternative analyses, and even introducing some outside numbers for balance. I particularly appreciated the recognition that for a given motorcyclist at a given time, the stats that matter are always at either 0% or 100%, and we have the power to shift which side of that switch we're leaning towards through knowledge and practice.

As I mentioned before, a lot of the information regarding traffic and road hazards was old hat for me, but having some numbers and scenarios to reinforce those "common sense" pointers was a welcome reminder of the importance of what I already know.

I first learned about this book by reading this forum, so I thought I'd share my impressions of it here as well.

I would definitely recommend this easy read to others. A tour through the basics should be a welcome excursion to all of us, and I look forward to reading this book again a few years down the line.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I have considered purchasing this book many times but I have heard mixed reviews. Some say that it is a book that must be read. Others complain it is just a preachy book that warns you of gravel and deer and stories of dismemberment and death. I may just have to go find one at a bookstore and be that guy that reads the book and doesn't buy it. :lol:

·
Registered
385 Posts
:love-struck::love-struck::love-struck:
I'm always thinking about buying another motorcycle!
It's good to know others are afflicted with this. For me it seems to be a diaease. I need a second job so I can feed this habit more. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have considered purchasing this book many times but I have heard mixed reviews. Some say that it is a book that must be read. Others complain it is just a preachy book that warns you of gravel and deer and stories of dismemberment and death. I may just have to go find one at a bookstore and be that guy that reads the book and doesn't buy it. :lol:
I think, and I could be wrong, that that's the definition of a "library." :). FYI my library also let's me check out kindle versions, I can sign up to be on a waiting list for popular titles, and when I make it to the top of the list "zap!" It shows up on my screen!!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I think, and I could be wrong, that that's the definition of a "library." :).
ha! sarcasm.... that's my style

FYI my library also let's me check out kindle versions, I can sign up to be on a waiting list for popular titles, and when I make it to the top of the list "zap!" It shows up on my screen!!
fancy schmancy stuff... i stick to print

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought this book when it was on promo in 1999/2000 thru MCN. It is a lot of rehash for many, but good info, keeps you thinking. The Missus recently picked it up off the shelf and gleaned some good info for her riding. Mr. Hough can be preachy, but he's passionate, so it is all good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts