TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it begins. I have been doing lots of reading and decided that this would be quite a fun project and will give a little more versatility to my ride. I am going to start with a tw200 motor and a ttr225 motor. Once I have both engines torn down on the bench I will mix and match as needed to make everything work. While rebuilding I will also do all the little things to make it like new such as replace worn bearings, honed cylinder, new piston, ect. I might even get fancy and paint it, but we will see on that. The 200 motor showed today so I tore it down to see what it looked like. Hopefully the 225 motor will be here next week and it will be torn down then. I wanted an early ttr motor to get the wide rande 6 speed and a non lined cylinder so its easy to bore and play with. The left over 200 and 225 parts are all up for grabs for cheap as somebody may need some small stuff. I will try to keep the lists on this page somewhat up to date.

Parts needed
-tw200 stator cover and stator
-ttr head pipe maybe
-toying with the idea of a different carb.

parts not needed
-200cc crank

A few things still in the grey area
-Anybody have dimensions for the spacer needed on the final drive shaft? If not I'm sure I can figure it out.

I took a few shots while I was working this evening so here goes.

Tw225 project by dolphaxel, on Flickr

thank you UPS for bashing the hell outta the box and busting off a cooling fin

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Woohoo Vanilla!

Sounds like you have done your research and have a good grasp of what is involved with this project. Joeband and I have also collected all the necessary parts for our builds and now I just need to free up some time and space to get ours done.

Vagabond and Ronnydog have both been riding their conversions for a number of years and are great resources for any advice that you may need. I sent you a PM with my contact info if there is anything that I can do to help you.

Looking forward to your build and keep the pictures coming!

Brian

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
-Anybody have dimensions for the spacer needed on the final drive shaft? If not I'm sure I can figure it out.
You don't have to make a spacer, to use the 6 speed gearing.
You can modify the TW drive shaft to put the 6 gears of the TTR225 on the TW shaft.

-Anybody have any experience with the wiseco YFM225 high comp piston? I have read that it will give a ttr motor a 10.5:1 compression ratio.
Small mistake, it's 10.25:1.
I always use the Wiseco piston on my engines.
For a bigger bore I use Woessner and the "real big bore" a Yamaha piston.
You'll find some more details here:
http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/13306-list-parts-you-will-need-upgrade-your-tw-214-225-up-250-cc.html

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
still working on collecting parts. Does anyone know if the ttr header is any larger or improve flow? or is it just stainless? Also thinking of the TM33-418 carb. Looks to be a fairly direct fit other than messing with the cables. Well Ill keep at it and keep typing. I'm still contemplating weather to go 10:25 high comp with 70ish mm bore or to send in the cylinder to lasleeve and go 74mm. Im not sure going all the way to 250 cost wise is all that effective. I would think the carb is gonna make a larger difference and I think the re-sleeve was several hundred bucks or close.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Info about the TTR header pipe.
Please take a look on this link:
http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/12591-full-exhaust.html#post148905
-->> It's just a stainless steel version of the TW header pipe.

I can't give you any info about the Mikuni TM34-418, I don't know this carb. Not available in Germany.
But I have the measurements of the Mikuni TM34-2.

I know, that the VM28-418 will fit without any problems (except a new throttle cable and control).
33 mm - diameter cylinder side
44 mm - diameter air box side
82 mm - length

The TM34-2 does have nearly the same length and hight as the VM28-418.
40 mm - diameter cylinder side
-->> is no problem, if you use the TTR225 intake rubber (2LN-13586-01-00)
58 mm - diameter air box side
-->> this will be a problem.
The carb is too long to make an adapter from 58 mm to 45 mm (diameter of the air box rubber), because this carb does have nearly the same length like the original carb.
So, if you want to use the TM34-2 you have to use an universal K&N air filter (please, do not use any cheap shitty scooter stuff, it's too low priced to be quality).

It's never cost effective to make projects like this.
The only question is: How much money do you want to spend into your engine?
This is the only limitation.
It's a hobby and you always have to spend money into it. just the budget is the limiting factor.

I've payed some years ago over 750 EUR (~1000 USD) for my Akrapovic full exhaust system.
Does it make sense to pay 500 bucks per hp?
NO!!!!!!!!
I am happy with it?
Oh yes, I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to push the brake before you ask.
The Akrapovic exhausts for the TW are not available anymore since round about 4 years.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
today I got the second motor and all looks good so far. Hope to get it all apart in the next couple days.

This is how it came to me. I like the random styrofoam. It was two boxes taped together and the styrofoam taped around the motor. Worked great!!

Untitled by dolphaxel, on Flickr
I'm an avid cyclist and I do as much as I can with bike so here is the test fit

Ready to go with all of my other daily things. It was quite the load, but its good for ya. My commute is 6.5 miles

Here she is on the workbench at home waiting for the wrenches. Looks really good to me just a bit dirty. I see at some point it lost a chain and broke a piece of the case over where the chain rides. I may use the left half of the tw case and bore that half.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had an hour to kill so I tore this thing apart. Things are never as they seem though. Engine looked ok from the outside. dirty as could be, but ok and it turned over alright so how bad could this thing be? well have a look!

and the truth shal set you free!!

good thing I'm gonna bore this out!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
now here is the one that I'm not really happy about. I wanted to use this crank. I might be able to if I rebuild it, but shes gonna need a new rod, bearing, and pin. may not be all bad because thats the only way you know that something is in perfect order. I suppose I will look into that and see what thats gonna cost and take to get done. If the pic isnt obvious enough that rod is cooked to the wrist pin. It wont even come out with a hammer! Any body have Ideas or rebuilding or replacing with another used crank? looks to be about the same cost wise. how bout any trusted crank laborers?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
That engine was roughed up to say the least. Nice to see the rear axle flywheel puller worked!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Admiral, I'm not sure what it is but ive rebuilt engines for a few bikes and I swear the front of rear axle almost always fits the flywheel. seems a bit lucky to me. I sat there staring at the bike for a while till I remembered i had a spare! I didnt really want to take the wheel off the bike.

So here are the output shafts from the ttr and the tw. I have noticed a couple things that I didnt find mentioned.

obviously the spacer goes here. Just shy of a mm from a quick measurement.

Here is issue number one that I see. on the tw shaft just under the pick should be an oil hole. you see it on the ttr shaft left. that additional gear will ride here and will have minimal lubrication. I had the same issue on another bike with a clutch conversion. Is it a big deal? Probably not really, but something to be aware of and over years it might make a difference.

Second issue I noticed is the thrust washer on the drive end of the shaft need to be taken from the tw cluster. this shaft does not step down after the final gear goes on. therefore the ID is larger for that washer. I feel its worth mentioning because its the only part aside from the shaft that is used from the tw stack of gears.

·
Registered
264 Posts
20140523_084656_zps9d654501.jpg
This was my solution to the extra oil hole. Several people have done the conversion without worrying about adding the hole and have been running it that way for quite a while. I'm not sure how much it matters.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I would prefer to use a new con rod kit.
You are spending so much time and money into this project, than you should save money at the wrong place by using an other (maybe also damaged) crank shaft.

I haven't made a new oil hole, but I've made the existing oil hole a bit wider with a hand grinder.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
View attachment 12193
This was my solution to the extra oil hole. Several people have done the conversion without worrying about adding the hole and have been running it that way for quite a while. I'm not sure how much it matters.
Looks like you welded the groove the drilled it? how hard was that steel? I was a little worried about annealing the shaft with welding heat.did you do the shaft work and spacer your self? thanks

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to use half the tw case and half the ttr case. I didnt catch that they vent from opposite sides. My combo ended up with no vent. The space is in the casting so here is my fix.

200 case top ttr case bottom

stock vent vs what i found

here it is done. when I build the motor I will put that in with some sealant as well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looks like you welded the groove the drilled it? how hard was that steel? I was a little worried about annealing the shaft with welding heat.did you do the shaft work and spacer your self? thanks
I sent the shaft to a machinist to have the spacer made, new groove cut, and the hole machined. I had asked that the hole be made next to the groove ( a little bit off center of the gear ). The machinist ended up putting it directly in the groove since that is the same location it would have been on the TTR/XT shaft (without the groove). I was concerned about losing oil pressure with the oil dumping out of the groove, so I had the shaft welded around the hole and turned down to avoid that problem. I am not sure of the effect the welding had on the hardness of the shaft.

I saw a picture from macbig2k1 where he ground a groove from one oil hole over to the other gear. I think that would work well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts