TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is basically to help me keep track of my build.
If you have nothing better to do feel free to follow along.
Your opinionss , ideas , comments or constructive criticism
are welcome and appreciated.
Or maybe you might get a laugh out of an older guy trying not to screew up a new TW.
So far nothing but working on break in and an oil change
97miles rotella 15w40
Doing lots of research and asking questions , thanks to everyone for your help!
raining today

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a note
If someone tells you a Kickstarter isn't needed because the TW is sooooo easy to bump/push start
tell them to show you how easy it is in a patch of mud about a mile long and about a foot deep!
After pushing and slipping and falling and getting covered with mud from head to toe for about
Two and a half hours ..An atv came along and offered to pull me out of the last twelve feet.
I can't help but think that he was sitting up on the hill watching the whole time ..laughing his butt off ...
The fine gentleman did donate a few Cold ones out of pitty...
Being dead tired and since I had a hammock tied to the bike I found two trees enjoyed a couple of cold 🍺
And I took a well deserved nap.....

Long story short
Always carry a hammock
A Kickstarter is a must have
I must find these parts!!!!!!

These are the things great memories are made of
....mike.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just a note
If someone tells you a Kickstarter isn't needed because the TW is sooooo easy to bump/push start
tell them to show you how easy it is in a patch of mud about a mile long and about a foot deep!
After pushing and slipping and falling and getting covered with mud from head to toe for about
Two and a half hours ..An atv came along and offered to pull me out of the last twelve feet.
I can't help but think that he was sitting up on the hill watching the whole time ..laughing his butt off ...
The fine gentleman did donate a few Cold ones out of pitty...
Being dead tired and since I had a hammock tied to the bike I found two trees enjoyed a couple of cold 🍺
And I took a well deserved nap.....

Long story short
Always carry a hammock
A Kickstarter is a must have
I must find these parts!!!!!!

These are the things great memories are made of
....mike.....
That's one reason I searched out an older one with the kickstart, stupid they didn't keep putting them on, but in your situation a new bike was the way to go.

I do remember someone had found a parts kit to install the kickstart at some point in time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting ready to order the sprokets for my build.
I'm thinking about 15 tooth for the front to make it a little easier on the chain.
5o tooth and 60 tooth for the rear.
Any opinions?
Ride far..Ride hard
mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now at 220 miles Just did a quick 2o miles to stir the oil up and dumped it.
Waiting for things to cool down so I can put it back together and put some miles on.
Problems so far
Right rear turn signal fell off .... corrected with blue loctite
Wouldn't start in field of mud.. corrected tightened up batt cables. Charged battery . Good so far

Only mod so far... Copper street 45 plumbing fitting on exhaust. I like it.
More parts should be trickling in soon
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMG_20200621_154248.jpg
I be darned .. I figured out how to do it. I posted a pic. One incredibly small step for man but an insanely huge step for me...lol
IMG_20200621_154248.jpg

I angled the tip in toward the tire just a little.. Thought it might keep a little heat of the bags and whatnot

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I just noticed the turn signal is backwards again..... Heading out the door to fix it now.. LMAO

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have a question for ya. In your first post, you say you have "97" miles on it, correct? That was 6 days ago. At 4 days ago, you don't say what miles you have then but, you do say you need a "kick starter". So, in two days, and whatever miles was put on that bike, (again, assuming it's a NEW BIKE with only 97 miles reported) it now won't start, correct? I certainly see the nicety of having a secondary start system but, why is it that it would not start when you were out in the mud? Just wondering.
Scott

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a question for ya. In your first post, you say you have "97" miles on it, correct? That was 6 days ago. At 4 days ago, you don't say what miles you have then but, you do say you need a "kick starter". So, in two days, and whatever miles was put on that bike, (again, assuming it's a NEW BIKE with only 97 miles reported) it now won't start, correct? I certainly see the nicety of having a secondary start system but, why is it that it would not start when you were out in the mud? Just wondering.
Scott
Sorry I thought I explained that above with problems so far..
I stopped in the middle of a mud field to clear some mud from under the front fender so the wheel would roll instead of slide.. The bike wouldn't start afterwards.
Evidently the shop left the negative battery cable a little loose and the battery didn't charge, I didn't have enough juice
Left to start. Once out of the mud it did push/bump start just fine. A kicker would have saved me hours of hell on Earth,
Now I want a Kickstarter system so I Will have less stories to tell in the future

Reactions: TW-Brian

·
Registered
508 Posts
Workingman,
I see your situation and understand your thought process. I carry, in my back pack for riding, a cheapie little Volt Ohm Meter. Since I don't have any gauges (nor does anyone with a bone stock TW) that tell me what my charging system is doing while I'm riding, I will, on occasion, just for grins and my own satisfaction, pop out that VOM and check to see what the charging system is putting out while at idle and at higher rpms. If at any time, which hasn't happened yet, it reports I'm not getting at least 13.0V or higher, if I'm out and about, I'm instantly on my way back to camp or home, whichever I'm distant from at that time.
I don't pop the seat off to get to the 12V source to check that reading. I have a 12V battery plug on the side next to one of my side covers.

I only tell you all this to maybe help you in future operations of your T-dub. That little meter is about the size of a playing card and about 1/3 the thickness of that deck of playing cards. It's good to have around for just for checks if you're thinking you might have some sort of battery issue. Good luck on your next mud bog.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wednesday my day off
316 miles
It's been raining a lot here after work
Finally have been transferred to day shift.

Today's modification
The cyclerack with side brackets
I must be going brain dead.
$300 for a crooked rack with a big ugly hump on the back!
I bet I have the only tw200 to ever have one...LOL
IMG_20200624_121922.jpg

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Wednesday my day off
316 miles
It's been raining a lot here after work
Finally have been transferred to day shift.

Today's modification
The cyclerack with side brackets
I must be going brain dead.
$300 for a crooked rack with a big ugly hump on the back!
I bet I have the only tw200 to ever have one...LOL View attachment 206333
I like your flags!

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Workingman,
I see your situation and understand your thought process. I carry, in my back pack for riding, a cheapie little Volt Ohm Meter. Since I don't have any gauges (nor does anyone with a bone stock TW) that tell me what my charging system is doing while I'm riding, I will, on occasion, just for grins and my own satisfaction, pop out that VOM and check to see what the charging system is putting out while at idle and at higher rpms. If at any time, which hasn't happened yet, it reports I'm not getting at least 13.0V or higher, if I'm out and about, I'm instantly on my way back to camp or home, whichever I'm distant from at that time.
I don't pop the seat off to get to the 12V source to check that reading. I have a 12V battery plug on the side next to one of my side covers.

I only tell you all this to maybe help you in future operations of your T-dub. That little meter is about the size of a playing card and about 1/3 the thickness of that deck of playing cards. It's good to have around for just for checks if you're thinking you might have some sort of battery issue. Good luck on your next mud bog.
Scott
i installed a volt meter on my bars and carry a jump battery

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These are great ideas
I personally must have a Kickstarter !!!!
If I fry a starter , relay , battery or what ever else can go wrong in the middle of who knows what , in the middle of who knows where THE SHOW MUST GO ON
It could be a matter of survival. !!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reactions: grewen

·
Registered
353 Posts
These are great ideas
I personally must have a Kickstarter !!!!
If I fry a starter , relay , battery or what ever else can go wrong in the middle of who knows what , in the middle of who knows where THE SHOW MUST GO ON
It could be a matter of survival. !!!
I'm with ya. I can be a 20km walk to cell coverage for me. Don't need to alarm my wife with a Spot message to come pick me up in the mountains.

Reactions: grewen

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I need to do some research on the spot thing.
I plan on trying to do the buzz light year thing. You know.
TO INFINITY.....AND BEYOND...!!!

SECOND ADDITION OR MODIFICATION FOR THE DAY

Yamaha handlebar pad
IMG_20200624_164852_430.JPG

Reactions: Kevinwa
1 - 20 of 41 Posts