TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I went to help out a buddy sort out a few electrical gremlins from his R75/7 today. Do to some family issues he is moving from sunny southern Nevada to the rusty side of Washington state. Trouble is that he has 4 very worthy project bikes that he can't take with him, and I am at my stay married limit of 3 right now. I might get away with 1 of them but it is going to have to be a back yard project.

Bike 1. 1986 Honda XL600R Red engine, white frame, blue seat, gold legs and rims. My personal favorite color scheme for the series.
Needs: A. whole top end, cam shaft broke and chewed up head and valve cover.
Appearently it will run with half a cam shaft activating 2 of its 4 valves.
B. Frame piece needs to be welded back in. will have to hire this out. I'm not good enough for an oil in frame tight weld.
C. no title

Bike 2. 1982 honda CB750 super sport. round cover twin cam era. Believes it just needs a good going through. Carb issues got it parked about 10 years ago.

Bike 3. 1983 Yamaha 550 Vision Parked after the starter failed, again about 10 years ago. ( I have a soft spot for this one. I had one about 20 years ago. Temperamental. fussy. and great light weight fun.) This would be a labor of love since it has no real resale value.

Bike 4. 197? Yamaha DT400 this is a runner but looks rough and has the expected electrical degrade issues, and no title. Buddy thinks this is a pre title bike. Shouldn't be an issue to get one.

I asked my friend what will happen to them after he leaves. He thinks that his father will just crush them with a lot of other scrap.
I don't know if any of these are money makers. Might be deeper into parts than resale value.
I'm leaning towards the XL. I love its colors and it would be the most useful around here.
If you are Interested in any of them and would be willing to make a Tolkien payment toward his moving costs let me know.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I was talking to my brother in law about these bikes and he tells me that his high school buddy had a CB750 and he thinks it is the most beautiful bike ever built. He would love to learn how to bring a bike back to life if I would help he has room. Now he is living in a modest home without any real work space so I ask where he is thinking? He asks "how much space we would need, 3200 square feet?" I explain that is way more than needed, and where? he explains that he has a 4 bay commercial building that is empty and has been since the real estate bubble burst down here. Power I ask. Not currently but it can be turned on.

So for the price of turning on the power I find myself staring at 4 project bikes and a BIG shop.
Life has its twists.

·
Registered
20,159 Posts
So you can maintain the " stay married" status while saving project bikes? Outstanding. Nice brother-in-law.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, having a shop, not in the garage, could help the "stay married" status as well.
Its not that she doesn't like me. She just likes me more when I'm not around too much.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
picked up the bikes yesterday
This is the XL600R,
resize xl600.JPG

This is what got it sent to the barn
resize cam.JPG

Like to smack the SOB who did this to the frame
resize frame.JPG

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know. Don't know what kind of shape they are in yet.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So having obtained a valid title for the XL600 the time has come to see what can be done.
Teardown and cleaning.
0707160957a.jpg
damaged head and valve cover
0707161120.jpg 0707161121.jpg
The twin cab setup on these bikes adds a lot of complexity for little return in my book.
0707160759.jpg

The carbs cleaned up pretty well. Seals and gaskets were in better shape than expected. One slide was stuck and took time and lots of carb cleaner to work loose the rest came clean quick and easy. I know this is the wrong Forum to ask this, but does anyone know a good starting point for the fuel mix screw on this bike?

The motor is out and on the bench. Valves and piston both look good.
WebCams wants $239 to hardweld a cam. plus $132 since my core is not usable. Should have the rocker arm surfaces done as well. $40. For a total of $411.
They gave me a referal for somebody to repair the cam journals in the head and rocker cover, but I am still looking for somebody more local.
One of the 6 cylinder head bolts was snapped. but the head gasket still appeared to be sealing.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
11 july 216

Finished the teardown.

Frame has everything removed and is ready to be welded.(sorry no current picture) I can do basic welding, but this is going to take more skill than I have.
resize frame.JPG
Since this is an oil in the frame design this weld needs to be oil tight. (no little pin holes that I usually end up with) And since it was cut with a sawsall it also has a blade width gap that needs to be bridged on both sides. Plus, it needs to stay aligned so the motor mounts still work.

Top end is cleaned up, packed, and ready to be sent to a machine shop for the journal repair.
IMG_0641.jpg IMG_0640.jpg

Cylinder looks good. I can still see hone marks. No ridge at the top. I think I will get away with just re honing and new rings (since I'm in here). One of the head bolts was snapped and will need extracting.
IMG_0646.jpg IMG_0644.jpg
I have done this before but I think I will find someone with better equipment for this one. I would hate to break a drill bit off that deep.

I had a referral to Dennis at bar machine to do the journal repair. Was told he did a lot of these. But it seems that he is closing up shop. I just get an answering machine that says he is not accepting any more jobs and current customers need to pick up their stuff. Bummer. I see a lot of this over the last 10-20 years. Time was the military trained a lot of machinists. But most of those guys are closing up shop and retiring. Best bet is often to find one of these old guys who still has some equipment out in the shed that they still use. I knew 3 old guys in town who did this, 2 have gone the way of the world and the last is one not young.

I am enjoying this.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Man, that XL looks like way more work than my lazy ass would want to do :) Good on you if you get it going.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sponge - Good on ya for trying to save these older bikes. I hate seeing these old bikes get scrapped.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FleaBay to the reacue

Spent the last two days trying to find a solution to the damaged head journal.
As I mentioned before the guy who used to fix them is gone so I did a bunch of online searching. Turns out that one of the most recommended specialized head work shops is only about 40 miles from here. (fastheads/racers ER) Found the place, nice looking shop, nicer looking receptionist.
(18-20 years old, 100+ temps, thin white tank top............

Sorry, drifted off there for a bit.

Long story short I talked to service departments in 3 dealerships, and 4 machine shops. Same story all around. Since this head doesn't have end caps off the cam there is no way to get a boring bar in there. Nuts.

I have been hitting up the bay every few days. Cylinder heads run about $199, rocker covers about the same. Webcams in Cali wants about $400 for a hard welded cam along with resurfaced rockers. I have a $1k target budget on this rebuild and that is a pretty big chunk of it. Doesn't leave me much wiggle room for stuff that always comes up.
But low and behold
s-l1600.jpg
this shows up on the bay, Head Cover + CAMSHAFT. for $299. Score, can't hit "buy it now fast" enough. Add a complete gasket kit ($65) A few new cables ($30), Frame is at the welders ($?), Budget it looking pretty good right now.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vision gets a little love

With the Xl frame off to the welders, and assorted parts all in various stages of shipping I decided to give the old Vision a little love.
Time to start cleaning 10+ years of barn dirt and grime off. Get a look at just how good or bad it is.

A guy over on the "Riders of Vision" forum built this mod
tace vision 2.jpg
Which to my eyes may be one of the most beautiful bikes ever built. It hits a lot of my buttons. The tank pushes the RZ love button. The faring echos a Buell to me. The clean Vision engine. Minimal tail section. And classic Yamaha paint schema from my youth.

So here is what I have after some general cleaning
0716160812a.jpg 0716160812.jpg
I have a long road ahead of me if I commit to do something with this.

The Good
It all seems to be there. Nothing major missing, if you count the mismatched front end.

The Ugly
Front end is off a GPz 550. The lower bearings in the steering head are trash or they never quite fit. The triple clamp has about 1/8 inch of shift in the frame.

Spark plugs are nowhere to be seen. Which surely means a bunch of dirt down the cylinders.

There is orange Silicon gasket maker squeezing out of all the case seams. Never a good sign.

Air filter foam crumbled in my hands
0716160814.jpg

Interesting extra plug added to the bottom of the tank. Humm.. crud drain?
0716160842a.jpg

Not really committed yet but its good to have a closer look.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I got the frame on the XL600R welded up and painted.
0722160700.jpg
Not the prettiest welds but I think they are solid.
(and a nice accidental fame of my/brother-in-law's CB750SS)
Parts are starting to arrive, Still waiting on some major engine stuff. So I spent a few hours this morning cleaning the old gaskets off the cases, and honing them down with an oiled flat stone.
I mentioned a while back that my GS squealed like a stuck pig when the starter was cold. Has done it for several years but always functioned ok. Turns out a replacement starter (from Poland) is pretty cheap. ($58.90 shipped) So I ordered up one. So with a new one on the way I took after the old one. I've heard that these French Valeo starters are crap. Magnets that are glued to housing come loose and jam the rotor.
So I took the old one apart for a look see. Yep, One of the 4 magnets was floating in the housing. It looked like the adhesive didn't give way since there was a thin layer of magnet still attached to the housing. So in the interest of having a spare I cleaned everything up and glued the loose magnet back in.
IMG_1788.jpg
JB Weld, spacers, and a clamp for 24 hours. Clean and lube the rest of the parts. Seems to work OK. Put it back on the bike and it spins up the bike strong and fast. The question now is do I put the new one in when it comes or keep it as the spare?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Turning a corner

I know that it isn't a huge thing, but it always feels like I've turned a corner when I put wheels back to frame.
0725160939.jpg
In my mind, what was just a pile of parts, is a motorcycle again.

I just need to hang all those parts back on there.
0725161029.jpg
and it will be ready to go.

Still waiting on gaskets, so the engine is still apart. Turns out ordering a gasket kit from the great white north (eh) adds quite a bit to the shipping time. Sent on the 15th, 10 days and no sign yet. On the other hand the folding mirrors I ordered from China at the same time arrived last Thursday the 21st. Modern commerce makes the world work in interesting ways. One part can travel 12,000 miles in 6 days, while another part can't travel 1500 miles in 10 days.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Baby steps.
Gasket kit took 15 days to arrive from the friendly north. But it is finally here. Started to reassemble the engine and the second ring was gamed. broke it trying to get it free, (dang) Looks like these rings and cylinder is .5 over.
0728160612.jpg 0728160618.jpg
Fortunately Honda still has them available. I think this was not done too long ago. Cylinder still has hone marks.

I think they may have put the wrong banjo bolt in on the oil feed line to the head when this was done, since the top bolt had a much larger oil hole than the lower one. That may be the reason the head was oil starved and broke the camshaft.
Honda also had the correct cylinder head bolt replacement for the snapped one.
Unfortunately the eBay cylinder head failed the valve leak test. Both intake and exhaust valves had minor leaks. So Head is off to "FASTHEADS" for a valve job.

Meantime, engine is back together save the cylinder head. Electrical and accessories are back on the frame.
0809160921.jpg 0809160921a.jpg

Engine (-minus head) is on the bench back there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts