TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I just got my 13 YO boy a TW200, he is already tearing it up in the back. Has a helmet, but I was curious what the recommendations would be for "affordable" not "cheap" gear to get him stocked for both off road and on-road (here in a year and half with riding permit). I know I we need to get a good chest jacket/vest, etc....

Just looking for the recommendations from experienced parents on what they got their kids that ride trails that's not over the top, but sensible. Appreciate the input and any sites to order from!

--AJ

·
Registered
20,376 Posts
I have seen good quality complete outfits for the fast growing teenager in my local Craigslist at steep discounts. Certainly a riding jacket or some other torso armor plus MX gloves now and hand guards are good initial investments as well as stout boots. Replace goggle lenses when they get scratched up. You have a lucky boy AJ.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
For off road, a decent pair of high MX boots (most injuries are to feet or lower legs) Nylon MX jersey and a pair of in the boot riding pants with at least a double layer for the knees (most have that) and hip pads ain't a bad idea. GLOVES, always gloves. Goggles too.

On road, a decent pair of textile pants or draggin jeans, a textile jacket, eye protection, work boots, and gloves.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
If any of the clothing comes WITH the dense padding, make sure he rides with ALL padding in place (unlike me)
I'm glad you stressed that Doc. Like you, I am an inveterate "pad shucker" and always have been...for the same reasons. But that is not for the realm of youth or beginners.

Hey! Now that's a jacket or jersey I would wear. One with PAD SHUCKERS MC on the back. :D

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Good riding boots are a great idea but at 13 this is a major issue. What fits this year or month might not fit for very long. My local Craig's list has a lot of good used boots for this exact reason. Buy him a used pair a size or 2 larger so he can wear socks until he grows into them. If boots are not a possibility in your budget then a nice pair of shin protectors is the absolute minimum worn over his hunting high top boots. I can't count the times a stick or stone along a trail has come up and smacked my lower legs and the shin guards do the job.

Rules to be followed or he looses the bike privilege for a week. Helmet in place and strapped, gloves, boots, long pants and shirt or riding jacket. Catch him without any of this and the key gets pulled.

GaryL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts