TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking for a TW200 for many weeks, I found the deal of the centruy today!

2013 with 78 miles. Yep, 78 miles.

The owner bought it new in 2013 and dropped it the first day. Never wanted to ride again and it sat in his garage for several years.

The damage was minor; a cracked cowling on the dash cluster and a broken front brake lever. The plastic is in good shape but really dirty as is the fuel tank,. Nothing that can't be cleaned.

The big hit is the chain. In Florida, any metal that sits in an unclimatized area for many yuears is gonna rust. And, rust it did.

I think it might be mostly surface and I'll make an effort to clean and salvage but worst case, I'll put a new chain on it. The sprokets look good as does the rest of the bike.

Cleaned the carb, fuel tank and fuel line and it cranked right up.

I'm almost embarrased to tell what I paid for this jewel.

Tommy

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Ahhh go ahead and tell us... :p
After looking for a TW200 for many weeks, I found the deal of the centruy today!

2013 with 78 miles. Yep, 78 miles.

The owner bought it new in 2013 and dropped it the first day. Never wanted to ride again and it sat in his garage for several years.

The damage was minor; a cracked cowling on the dash cluster and a broken front brake lever. The plastic is in good shape but really dirty as is the fuel tank,. Nothing that can't be cleaned.

The big hit is the chain. In Florida, any metal that sits in an unclimatized area for many yuears is gonna rust. And, rust it did.

I think it might be mostly surface and I'll make an effort to clean and salvage but worst case, I'll put a new chain on it. The sprokets look good as does the rest of the bike.

Cleaned the carb, fuel tank and fuel line and it cranked right up.

I'm almost embarrased to tell what I paid for this jewel.

Tommy

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Whether or not it deserves a new chain or not that is a good find. Lube it, ride it, clean it...rinse, repeat perhaps?
Or with some the savings begin spoiling that new baby with a quality X or O-ring chain so sprockets and chain all last well over 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I rode for years in my 20s, this pirchase is my reentry into the world if motorcycles.

So, i'll show my ignorance by asking what is an X or O-ring chain?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Welcome a board! I've heard of rescue dogs or cats etc but TW?....Tjmay to the rescue!

I can't even imagine what else went on resulting in abandoning a new bike like this happen. I'm sure there's more to the story. Otherwise that's weak....good find.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess you would have had to meet the owner to believe the story.

I met him, talked with him and believe that he purchased the bike new, immediately laid it down and got so scared that he put it in his garage where it sat for several years.

We’ve all met or heard about people so timid and so easily intimidated that would behave like this.

His loss, my gain.

·
Registered
323 Posts
While I rode for years in my 20s, this pirchase is my reentry into the world if motorcycles.

So, i'll show my ignorance by asking what is an X or O-ring chain?
O-Ring, or X-Ring (just a different shaped rubber ring) is a sealed lubricant chain. The rollers have grease internally, and the rubber rings between the links keep the lubricant inside, and dirt and water out. You only have to clean them once in a while if you ride mud. Otherwise, no need to lubricate them at all, they last a LOT longer than standard chains.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
.... Otherwise, no need to lubricate them at all......
This is not correct. It's the O-rings that need to be kept lubricated so they don't dry out and then get shredded by the side plates. The rollers are kept permanently lubricated on the inside. Regular cleaning and use of a Teflon spray will make them last 20,000 miles easy.

Also, although O-ring chains can be washed with soap and water, NEVER use a power washer on them at full blast.....that will force water into the inside and destroy the chain in short order.

I give my chain a thorough cleaning with Kerosene and a toothbrush then blow dry every 500 miles or so and simply run a Kerosene rag over them and spray every 200 miles or so. However, I ride in volcanic dust a lot of the time and it's very abrasive. Back East one could get by with longer intervals.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Maybe the result of helicopter parenting...my parents laughed at me when I got hurt and now I feel like a lunatic laughing when I get hurt but at least I'm not timid.

Then again I guess it depends on the accident and your preconditioning. Working your way up to more dangerous riding slowly helps to build the skill and confidence required.

I just can't believe it's years old and not even broke in yet.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Regular cleaning and use of a Teflon spray will make them last 20,000 miles easy.

Rocky, give us a name on the spray you use. i do the same maintenance as you, but use a spray wax. after using spray silicon on my snow plow and snow blower this winter, i think i'll be switching to silicone on the o chain too

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought my 2010 looking like new with 348 miles on it from an older gentleman in Oregon, who had been in a bad car accident resulting in a fused left ankle and limited foot strength and movement that would no longer allow him to shift gears...

He let it set for some time but did start it regularly and it appeared in perfect shape when I accidently saw it in his shop while working on my Kubota tractor and brush hog. He had not let a speck of dust reside on it. ;)

I had been doing some brush removal and needed to tighten blade on my brush hog with his air compressor and impact wrench ( or trailer it 50 miles round trip to do it at home ). Upon seeing it I commented how I had been interested in owning one since first seeing one some years back. He said she's yours for $3000. Eventually we settled on $2700 cash. Whoooo Hoooo ! :D

excalibur

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another great “barnfind” story...

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
....Rocky, give us a name on the spray you use.....
Sure. I, like most, have gone through dozens of chain lubes over the years (more than I'm usually willing to admit), but I settled on this about 5 years ago:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-11-oz/16672659

In general, I use Teflon based lubes on all my chains, both bicycle and motorcycle, because they don't attract and hold (as much) dirt. They also are a really good lubricant for the O-rings.
I just think they are a step above wax based lubes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts