TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. Just got a 2012 TW with 2200 miles, excellent condition and couldn't be happier with it. Mostly using as an on-campus commuter (currently in my undergrad at UF) and blasting some national forest trails on the weekends, so far it fits the bill perfectly. Anyways, any of you guys prefer to run E0 fuel as oppose to E10? I noticed that the owner's man. allows for E10, any noticeable benefits of running E0 other than less water absorption, better fuel stability, maybe better mpg?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hello and welcome! If I had it available, I'd run E0 in everything, especially the TW. Use it exclusively if you have it available.

·
Registered
921 Posts
My '95 TW runs best on 87 octane even if it has 10% ethanol. 91 octane non-ethanol doesn't run as well. Others report the same. If I must buy ethanol gas I always treat with Startron, Lucas, or Stabil for ethanol (it is different than the "red" Stabil). Leaving untreated ethanol gas in a TW during storage equals BIG problems.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fishguy I'm definitely aware of the horrors associated with storage and ethanol, used to have all kinds of issues with it in my bay skiff running an old Yamaha 2-stroke outboard (that is until I started running E0 religiously). I may throw some E0 in the TW on its next fill-up and see how she responds.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
While there may be some advantages to the E0, it will run perfectly fine on E10 so don't worry about it at all, especially if you use it frequently. If you had a choice of E0 or E10 at two adjoining gas stations, at the same price, I'd take the E0, otherwise don't go out of your way and at extra expense to get it, you won't notice any difference in performance, mileage, or anything else.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mckee1710; welcome, and congrats on your new bike, your going to have a lot a fun. As to your question, I've used both, and to be honest, I can't tell if I have 12, or 13 hp w/ or w/ out. If you ride a lot, who cares, if it sets a lot E0...

·
Registered
746 Posts
any noticeable benefits of running E0 other than less water absorption, better fuel stability, maybe better mpg?
That's not enough?

I run non-ethanol in my TW most of the time. I keep a couple of 5-gallon cans of it around for that purpose, as well as my other small engines. I do put E10 in it if I'm out riding and need to stop for fuel, but I try not to leave E10 in the tank for more than a few days.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've never had an ethanol problem in anything I own. Heard many horror stories though. A local convenience store chain, Stewarts, now offers 91 octane non-ethanol fuel so I've been buying that just as a preventative measure. I've never noticed any performance or mileage difference in any tank of fuel I've run since I got my TW as a 2014 leftover back in March.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I've never had an ethanol problem in anything I own. Heard many horror stories though. A local convenience store chain, Stewarts, now offers 91 octane non-ethanol fuel so I've been buying that just as a preventative measure. I've never noticed any performance or mileage difference in any tank of fuel I've run since I got my TW as a 2014 leftover back in March.
Same thing here with my local Stewart's shops and I am thrilled to have non E fuel available. I did just complete a tank test in my Tacoma and the difference between E10 and Non E was not enough to spend the extra cash for premium. That said, I do buy the Non E for all of my engines that are subject to less use such as my TW, XT, boat, lawn equipment and my ice auger. All of these engines do a lot of sitting around in a dark shed or barn and the ethanol is not as stable in these harsh conditions. I use my Troy Built roto tiller once in the spring and again in the fall and it runs like a champ with real gas and is a complete nightmare with E-10 in the tank. My 6 HP outboard motor has a six gallon tank and I bet I don't use 3 gallons in any year. No ethanol ever goes in that tank! I guess we could just call non ethanol fuel Agricultural fuel and be very happy to still have it.

GaryL

·
Registered
6 Posts
My boat motor was supposed to be good with E10. One day it acted up and I almost didn't make it back to the truck. I pulled the plug at home and it was covered in a brown stuff that looked like a thin paint. I got the rest of the ethanol out put a new plug in it and started to use E0 and it has never hiccuped again. My 88 toyota pickup was running like crap. It sits a lot maybe only 150 miles a month. It was running bad and I changed it at the same time I did the Boat and ATV's. The last thing to change to E0 was my Motorcycle it is a 1991 Honda XR250L. It hadn't ran in a couple years. It was running poor not idling, and hard to start. I drained the gas replaced the plug. By the second ride I was SOLD!!!! This bike was running better than it ever had and I owned it for 11 years. It ran so well I put on new tires and have been riding it about 100 to 150 miles a week. My cars that are POST 1996 I can't tell the difference in them. But My truck with my camper gets only E0 because it sits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts