TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs. Admiral and I headed up north to ride the Palouse Region of Idaho and Washington. Left on Friday Night after work and stopped at a free campsite not to far from New Meadows, ID. It was a little chilly in the morning.

Brrrrfda

Oh no!

We've camped here before when riding the mules. On my morning walkabout, I see a new gate across the road which we've driven and ridden many times, now locked with signage. Last summer a couple Texas Oil %ucks bought some private timberlands and locked it up. Thanks you Texas Oil scumb sucking land hoarding $astards. We have enough land being closed off to riding by the Bunny Huggers, and mismanaged Forest Service/BLM and now this. Grrrrrr!

No more of this up the road I guess

to be continued

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We then made tracks for Pullman, Wa Municipal RV Park which would be our TW Forward Operating Base. Not a spectacular RV Park and we rarely stay at a place we have to pay but it turned out to be quiet and didn't have any creepy pervs staying there, just old people :D

Old Elk River School. We setup quick as we have to meet one of our daughters east of here in Elk River, ID to see some old growth, Cedar Groves.

As we leave Elk River to head for the trees I spot a typical Idaho Club on the way out of town

Pond on the way to one of the cedar groves

Old stump. I notice these notches in the stump. This is where loggers felling the tree placed planks into the tree when they were cutting it down. You can find a lot of these from the old days up in this neck of the woods

This is an example when littletommy and Fred were logging in the area in the early 20th Century. Fred is the one on the left with one of his dogs. They always go with him.

Arrive at our first destination. Can't wait to see the old cedars

Um, this doesn't look good. Didn't go far before the trail to the grove becomes impassable.

So we head for another place to see old tree's

Turns out this is the Cedar Grove we actually were looking for. Mrs. Admiral, Robi our daughter, and Maverik the dog. Robi was doggy sitting.

Apparently, this tree is old er supp'in

There are several very large old growth Cedar Tree's along the hiking trail. Yeah that's right, we had to hike. Oofta!

We pass through Troy, ID on the way back to camp. Not a really hopping place on a Saturday night.

Riders taking a break

I love the old downtowns in these small towns. Again, watch out for foot traffic!

End of Day 1. From here we head back to camp quickly before it gets dark. Can't be out after curfew don't cha know.

to be continued

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day 2. The Big Loop 175 miles.

>Pullman to Clarkston/Lewiston the back way.
>to Winchester, ID via Waha Lake/Soldiers Meadow Reservoir.
>Culdesac via the old Winchester Hwy 95 Grade.
>Culdesac to Juliaette the back way.
>Juliaette to Genesee via the back way
>back to camp

You're gonna have to watch the video to get the full effect of the ride. I sucked something fierce and didn't take many pictures but here are a few.

Old car along the Wawawai Rd. between Pullman and the Snake River. Probably pulled up from the ravine after spending many years down there

Taking a break above Waha Lake

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Memorial Day-Day 3. Pullman-St. John-Palouse Loop. 125 miles. Suppose to be a short day, ha!

Interesting way to use old golf drivers. I think this was actually at a small driving range along the back road between Pullman and Albion, Wa.

Mrs. Admiral patiently waiting for me to take the golf club fence photo

I didn't have a map until I took a screen shot of the area at the Dusty rest area. Worked!

Lots of old farms up on the Palouse

Family farm probably a victim of corporate farming

This was a pretty big farmhouse complete with a picket fence. Surely it was a white picket fence, right?

Chicken coop back behind ish the house

I'm imagining the old folks sitting in their rocking chairs out on the front porch on a hot summer night

Endicott, Wa. Not much left open in town anymore. Maybe this was an old depot.

Not much traffic today as we leave Endicott and head towards St. John

Grain elevator in St. John, Wa

The Palouse is well known as a wheat and lentil growing region of the U.S. (photo from the internet not mine, ha ha)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palouse

Very rolling hills in the region (photo from the internet not mine)

I did pass this one Palouse farmer who waved us by. Apparently not much traffic in this double yellow line section of road.

We had a really good time riding the Palouse. If you get a chance to go up here and don't mind riding on pavement, do it!

·
Super Moderator
17,963 Posts
Little Miss Lori is really turning out to be quite the motorcycle rider. :) You go girl!!

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Lori sure is an impressive new rider.
Maybe some pink leathers or a decent ballistic cloth pant/jacket combo is something to consider since they are doing more pavement pounding like this as well as going out to dinner together ( So Romantic!).
After my slip on pavement a week ago I realized my rig is not road rash rated. It certainly was not an experience I would soon like to repeat. Only 3 feet of sliding roached anything cotton. Call me Scabby. Seriously the leather Forma boots and textile jacket did protect the areas they covered but my legs and hands were vulnerable.
Somehow I don’t think extensive mule, ATV and trail riding experience with it’s associated bumps and bashes can prepare anyone for the scraping and grinding that can happen on asphalt.
Kris, surely you must have an old leather bomber jacket Lori would look cute and protected in?

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kris, surely you must have an old leather bomber jacket Lori would look cute and protected in?
She's actually wearing an armored riding jacket under my Army PT Jacket. We got delayed by a fatal crash for quite some time and when we resumed it was starting to get dark and she got cold so I loaned her my jacket. She was still cold, but armor protected! :D

I do have a black leather riding jacket. I've only worn it a couple times myself. Feels funny to wear it riding a TW though.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Good to hear, I’m not surprised you two were prepared. Just saw the Army jacket in the video and worried.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts