TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The group I rode with today said my TW was puffing smoke when I was downshifting to control my downhill speed, and upshifting up hills. Is this normal or do I need valve adjustments?

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
170 Posts
How many miles on your bike? Are you using considerable amounts of oil? Valves being out of adjustment shouldn't cause you to burn oil.. Maybe if the exhaust is excessively tight creating more crankcase pressure.

Most likely you just overfilled it with oil. Causing an increase in crankcase pressure, pushing the oil into your airbox.

Otherwise the most common places for oil bypass is valve stem seals (smokes at cold start) Or around the piston ring. Both will get consistently worse over time.

Just check your oil religiously. If your burning a little bit its not the end of the world. A little extra lube wont hurt.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Burning a little oil will carbon up the combustion chamber thereby increase the compression ration and giving you more power. A silver lining to every cloud!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bike is 19 miles shy of 5000. Last time the valves were adjusted was 600 miles. Runs like it did when it was new. Oil level looks fine and oil is clean, it was changed at 4300 miles, at which time they told me it was low on oil, so is apparently using some. The previous oil change was at 2200 miles. So I'm checking it way more often now, like every ride.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My bike is 19 miles shy of 5000. Last time the valves were adjusted was 600 miles. Runs like it did when it was new. Oil level looks fine and oil is clean, it was changed at 4300 miles, at which time they told me it was low on oil, so is apparently using some. The previous oil change was at 2200 miles. So I'm checking it way more often now, like every ride.
Having oil changes and valve adjustments done somewhere else? Do it yourself, save some money and get piece of mind that the maintenance actually got done.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Sounds like piston rings?

Downshifting/engine braking regularly instead of using the brakes can wear out piston rings quicker [not implying you do this- just a thought]. Worn rings would lead to excessive oil usage, more so at higher rpm.

Also if it was leaking from the top a valve adjustment would not solve anything, you would need to replace the valve stem seal. #6 on this picture:

2009 Yamaha TW200 (TW200Y) Valve | MRCycles

·
Registered
614 Posts
Try changing the oil again.What oil are you using??I change mine every couple hundred kms or when it starts getting hard to shift gears.It only holds a liter so the oil takes a beating and may break down quicker.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Try changing the oil again.What oil are you using??I change mine every couple hundred kms or when it starts getting hard to shift gears.It only holds a liter so the oil takes a beating and may break down quicker.
Wow, that a lot of oil changes. I change usually after 2,500 or 3,000 miles. Have 24,000 miles on one TW and 13,000 on the other. But I must admit, I am always surprised how easy it is to shift after an oil change.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I used to puff smoke a lot but I quit in 81 on my doctors advice. Puffing smoke is not good for you or your bike unless one of you is a two stroke..
Rings and valve guides are the most serious possibilities, but check the possibility of oil in the air intake system first, possibly from breather tubes to the air intake box.
A compression check can reveal worn rings.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Using whatever oil they use at Pro Cycle. I think it's synthetic blend.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
779 Posts
Mine puffs a bit of smoke at times when up or down shifting, but I believe it is with a quick chop of the throttle. It does not look blue, it looks white and does not "hang" in the air like burned oil. I think it is extra fuel partially burned showing a bit of white smoke. This does not happen all the time, which also makes me think it is carb related, as temperature and humidity affect fuel mixture and the likelihood you can see the exhaust smoke. On a side note, that is some serious time between oil changes. I just think of those 9k rpm shifts, shear of the transmission gears and clutch particles always being shed into the oil and it makes me change it every few hundred miles. Probably too frequent, but it makes me so happy to see the oil window filled with fresh clear oil! Super happy with Bel Ray Ray Thumper 10w-40 I switched to last week. Even better shifting then fresh Rotella. Time will tell if the shift feel will last longer then Rotella, as it didn't take more than a couple hundred miles to notice a degradation in shift quality.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm thinking a rich or lean condition.. If I'm not mistaken, If it is very rich you will puff black smoke. I always associated white smoke with coolant or condensation. Could possibly be a lean condition? I'm unsure, but I do think it could be fuel related.

Do you have a compression tester? That should show it it is ring blow-by or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts