TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some know, I ran a helmet cam during almost all the time riding in Moab this spring. I expect it will take awhile to sift through the good, the bad, and the ugly. When a nugget worth sharing pops up, I'll put it here.

First up is a clip from Chicken Corners. TrialRun and I headed out there on our last riding day. At Hurrah Pass, we met Mike from Oregon on an XT250. When we said we were part of an internet TW200 group, he asked if we were with Admiral, whom he had watched on YT. Small world! Mike accompanied us to the end of Chicken Corners. Somewhere along the way, we faced a fairly steep, sandy hill. Had I known it was so long, I would have given TrialRun a bit more headstart. The same ledge that TR bumped gave me fits coming back down, since it was almost invisible in the overcast.

·
Super Moderator
14,611 Posts
That was an invisible step you went down on. My first thought was you just lost control in the sand but once you showed the step again it made sense. Glad you didn't get killed or even worse. Keep 'em coming. I finally got my Moab footage transferred from the camera SD card to the computer but haven't had much time to view any video yet. Hope it turned out ok. Oh, and you're camera sharpness and quality is really good. Nice sharp picture.
P.S. I did view the first video clip on day one. Yup, I got your second fall. "Rider down"! Glad you survived. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P.S. I did view the first video clip on day one. Yup, I got your second fall. "Rider down"! Glad you survived. :)
I'm glad you captured drop #2. Share it up when you can! I hadn't restarted the cam that time, and I think it's the only one I missed. I think I had more tip overs that week than Arte Johnson.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
(Note on photos and videos I post: these aren't in any particular order.)

On Thursday, Appleguy led me on my the first day riding on other than pavement and graded gravel. This video is from Friday, the second day, when Admiral led Appleguy and me on the Sovereign ATV trail. I'm slowly learning the capabilities of the TW and myself, and there's one moment of several bad rookie decisions in a row that led to bike and rider down on the rocks. Fortunately, the TW is tougher than I am, and I was fairly well protected with gear, suffering only sore arches in one foot that went away after a day. BTW, I did eventually realize the mirror was knocked loose...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
On the day the group rode the Gemini Bridges Road, we came down Long Canyon Road, and half of the group continued on to climb Potash Road and Shafer Canyon. TrialRun and I instead returned to camp, and rode Shafer Canyon the next day.

I was carrying the drone during the ride, but I didn't think to get in a flight or two until we had crossed into Canyonlands NP, where flying is prohibited. We backtracked to just outside of the park and I was able to put it up. The video contains a few stills and some drone footage, and a mostly uncut run from the White Rim Road intersection to the top. The only music heard during the climb is the little Yamaha sewing machine.

Recorded and uploaded in 4k/60 fps, which YT will eventually process. Camera is a DJI Osmo Action, shot with stabilization on. I'm also using a polarizing filter on both ride cam and drone.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As some know, I ran a helmet cam during almost all the time riding in Moab this spring. I expect it will take awhile to sift through the good, the bad, and the ugly. When a nugget worth sharing pops up, I'll put it here.

First up is a clip from Chicken Corners. TrialRun and I headed out there on our last riding day. At Hurrah Pass, we met Mike from Oregon on an XT250. When we said we were part of an internet TW200 group, he asked if we were with Admiral, whom he had watched on YT. Small world! Mike accompanied us to the end of Chicken Corners. Somewhere along the way, we faced a fairly steep, sandy hill. Had I known it was so long, I would have given TrialRun a bit more headstart. The same ledge that TR bumped gave me fits coming back down, since it was almost invisible in the overcast.
That was one of a couple of missed downshifts that day. I did very well at finding neutral instead of first.

·
Super Moderator
14,611 Posts
On the day the group rode the Gemini Bridges Road, we came down Long Canyon Road, and half of the group continued on to climb Potash Road and Shafer Canyon. TrialRun and I instead returned to camp, and rode Shafer Canyon the next day.

I was carrying the drone during the ride, but I didn't think to get in a flight or two until we had crossed into Canyonlands NP, where flying is prohibited. We backtracked to just outside of the park and I was able to put it up. The video contains a few stills and some drone footage, and a mostly uncut run from the White Rim Road intersection to the top. The only music heard during the climb is the little Yamaha sewing machine.

Recorded and uploaded in 4k/60 fps, which YT will eventually process. Camera is a DJI Osmo Action, shot with stabilization on. I'm also using a polarizing filter on both ride cam and drone.

Shafer Switchbacks are pretty awesome. I think I've mentioned this before but I've only ever gone "up" the switchbacks and not down. Every year I see more and more "comfort vehicles" on the switchbacks. Getting crowded!

And then there was this infamous incident in 2017 I believe.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was one of a couple of missed downshifts that day. I did very well at finding neutral instead of first.
I manage to do that myself, usually when waiting first at a red light while thinking I'm in 1st.
Every year I see more and more "comfort vehicles" on the switchbacks. Getting crowded!
We passed a Toyota Camry before reaching the switchbacks. The worst of the route between the switchbacks and the potash plant for clearance was probably around the potash ponds. We also saw a teardrop pulled by a pickup.

·
Super Moderator
14,611 Posts
Four of us all rode Long Canyon Road in a day of other trails. Other than a bit of a ledge under the boulder, the only technical challenge was the distracting tour guide chatting up our group as we waited to single-file under the boulder.

View attachment 214553
This was a fun and scenic day for sure. Funny, I highlighted that same female in my upcoming video. You'll have to watch for it. I thought the "Jetsons car" sound effect was funny when passing the MTB'r.
I accidentally deleted, not to be retrieved lost forever, one of my video files. Watching your video I know which one it was. It was heading down Long Canyon after going through Pucker Pass. Thankfully, I have the Pucker Pass video footage.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought the "Jetsons car" sound effect was funny when passing the MTB'r.
I've seen so many electric bicycles lately that it seemed natural, even though this one appeared to be naturally powered. The e-bikes are stealthy, but can be spotted by the tendency for climbing steep hills at 20 mph without pedaling...

I had read that the terrain through the underpass has deteriorated over the last year or so, so it wasn't too much of a surprise. I had seen this video prior to the trip, and kinda-sorta knew what to expect. Note the comments on YT regarding avoiding going downhill on a TW200. Link should start near the boulder, otherwise jump to 4:25:
https://youtu.be/BLIcgMT-sa8?t=265

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On this day's ride, I was trying to pound sand, but without a hammer, I had to use my hand guards. I took at least three drops on this outing, and I think there were one or two more that went unrecorded after passing the old ranch. The bike survived, I survived, and most importantly, the drone packed in my tail bag survived. Thanks to those who helped lift the bike, or offer riding tips, or just waited to make sure I wasn't dropped.

·
Super Moderator
14,611 Posts
Love the ending, too funny. That frontage road can be an ass-kicker, especially if you haven't had your morning coffee :).
The drone footage over Secret Spire is one of the most awesome ways I've seen the place. Fantastic!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love the ending, too funny.
I initially included the lead-in and aftermath for each incident in chronological order with the rest of the ride, but it just killed the pace of the video. I then moved all of it to after the credits, but that was just a block of concentrated sadness.😢 The quick cuts and light music finally made it work.
The drone footage over Secret Spire is one of the most awesome ways I've seen the place. Fantastic!
Thanks! I wish I had gotten more altitude to capture the surrounding landscape. I've since "explored" many of the areas I visited via Google Earth. As for the spire itself, daylight can be seen through some of the cracks, so it's good to have seen it while it still stands. Similar structures have fallen in the past few decades, including the Cobra near Fisher Towers, which was thought to have been struck by lightning.

Before:

After:
after.JPG

·
Registered
87 Posts
I initially included the lead-in and aftermath for each incident in chronological order with the rest of the ride, but it just killed the pace of the video. I then moved all of it to after the credits, but that was just a block of concentrated sadness.😢 The quick cuts and light music finally made it work.

Thanks! I wish I had gotten more altitude to capture the surrounding landscape. I've since "explored" many of the areas I visited via Google Earth. As for the spire itself, daylight can be seen through some of the cracks, so it's good to have seen it while it still stands. Similar structures have fallen in the past few decades, including the Cobra near Fisher Towers, which was thought to have been struck by lightning.

Before:
View attachment 214880

After:
View attachment 214881
Great videos and drone footage Karl. More to come??

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great videos and drone footage Karl. More to come??
Thanks Appleguy. I'm working on a few specific day edits, and maybe a summary. I didn't get too many drone flights this trip, but there's a few I haven't worked in, including that first one over the Willow Springs campsite. I'm already thinking of the next trip, possibly CO late this summer, so that's my deadline. :cool:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm heading to CO in July with the Domestic Associate, our cat Henry, and Mr. Putter for exploring mountain passes. I'll probably capture a significant fraction of the Moab video amount again between helmet cam and drone, so I need to finish up these Moab videos. Besides this one, there's maybe another few worth putting out. Factoid: I recorded over one terabyte of 4k-60fps video during the Moab ride. It fit on an SSD about the size of a Zippo.

Tuesday, my last riding day, TrialRun and I took a ride through overcast Arches National Park in the morning and out to a sunnier Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners Trail in the afternoon. The timing and route through Moab itself gave the opportunity for lunch at a Mexican place and dinner at an Italian place later on the way back to Willow Springs.

In between the meals, this happened. Sharp eyes may spot the rear-wheel-steering side-by-side near Chicken Corners...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
This half-hour roundtrip through Kane Creek Canyon includes only motor, road, and wind noise, and is 99.44% uncut, only trimmed at the return point and one rest stop. This isn't a highlight reel, it's just a sedate ride winding through the canyon on a gravel road.

Going west out of Moab on Kane Creek Blvd, the road follows the south bank of the Colorado River and passes trailheads for Moab Rim and Pritchett Canyon 4x4 trails before the pavement runs out. The well graded gravel winds its way up Kane Creek Canyon, with eventual access to trails including Hurrah Pass, Chicken Corners, and Lockhart Basin among others.

This same ride took us across Hurrah Pass and out to the end of the Chicken Corners trail. Videos of this portion of the route have been posted above.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts