TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy watching survivalists shows and had seen them purifying water in a plastic bottle. I tried it on our last trip to Green Ridge and it worked perfectly. Here's a picture of water boiling in a plastic bottle. What are some of your favorite survivalist techniques?

IMG_8594.JPG

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
That is scary to me. As kids while ice fishing we boiled a pan full of snow over the fire and drank the water after it cooled. Both of us ended up with a nasty case of the poops that evening. Not sure if it was from the water but we were told it should be at a full boil for 10 minutes and we just kept adding more snow as it boiled away until we had close to a full pan. Now they make a thing called a survival straw that is supposed to work without boiling but I never tried one yet.

Just a few years ago while riding the back woods in northern Maine we came upon a pipe coming out of the mountain where people fill jugs. We filled a few jugs and bottles and my wife drank it but I didn't. That evening she spent most of it on the toilet with severe cramps and a serious case of the craps. So much for good mountain spring water! What really surprises me is my dog, she drinks from puddles, ponds, lakes and anywhere else she finds water and never seems to have a problem with any of that nasty stuff.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
If you are in a situation where you are severely dehydrated and have no other recourse then go for it. Just be aware that boiling water in a plastic bottle releases bisphenol A (BPA) into the water you will be consuming. BPA is linked to type two diabetes, heart disease and male impotence :eek: Still, this is a potentially life saving trick I just wouldn't drink too much of it in a "practice" situation.

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
My favorite survival technique for Green Ridge was to rent a luxurious cabin and bring my wife along.:D
Now you're talking my language Scottie. I bring along about $600 in cash and a well funded credit card and just have fun.

Yup, Those Life Straws are claimed to be the cat's meow but I never used one. Even with it I would still be Leary of drinking from it but we can't last long without water and there is no getting around that.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are in a situation where you are severely dehydrated and have no other recourse then go for it. Just be aware that boiling water in a plastic bottle releases bisphenol A (BPA) into the water you will be consuming. BPA is linked to type two diabetes, heart disease and male impotence :eek: Still, this is a potentially life saving trick I just wouldn't drink too much of it in a "practice" situation.

Tom
I'm hoping I never have to use this technique. Just one of those things I had to see to believe.

·
Registered
209 Posts
In my experience from hiking the back country, from boiling water to using iodine tables this is the ticket a ”Katadyn Hiker Pro Microfilter”. $80.00 bucks and you can drink from a mud puddle. Throw it in your backpack or your bugout bag and never worry about your next drink of water. I’m an avid hunter and carry a daypack or on my TW when I’m in the woods. I’m telling you guys, this thing will make clean water for you and your family from a ditch. Check it out...

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
In my experience from hiking the back country, from boiling water to using iodine tables this is the ticket a ”Katadyn Hiker Pro Microfilter”. $80.00 bucks and you can drink from a mud puddle. Throw it in your backpack or your bugout bag and never worry about your next drink of water. I’m an avid hunter and carry a daypack or on my TW when I’m in the woods. I’m telling you guys, this thing will make clean water for you and your family from a ditch. Check it out...
I have the same one, we use it on our winter hikes. One year it was so cold it froze up while I was pumping it.

If anyone is interested our next winter hike is the first weekend in February.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
A like for the water tip and a plus 10 for the signature! :)
My dad would heat a bolt to red hot and then say "Grab a hold of this and and let me know if it is hot enough" You only ever did it ONCE!

GaryL

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I used to carry an MSR filter system, and before that here was one called First Need, I think.
They do have the advantage of providing water right away with no waiting. However, they are one more thing to carry, they can get plugged up or have problems with the pump, and they freeze if it is cold enough.
As a simpler method, I have gone to using bleach in a dropper bottle. I wrap the bottle with tape, just to keep light exposure to the bleach down, and I carry the little bottle in a zip lock. The bottle I use is about 2 1/2 " tall, by an inch in diameter, and is plenty for a week long trip.
To use: I fill my 1 liter bottle with clear running water. I don't take water from puddles, etc, there are plenty of flowing streams to choose from here.
Add two drops of bleach. Put the lid on and shake it up, and then loosen the lid and shake or tip to get some treated water into the threads of the lid. Wait 30 min before drinking.
Here in Alaska, we have lots f clean water, but there are plenty of critters sharing it with you. Giardiasis is a recurring issue, and is commonly called beaver fever. Right now most streams also have dying and dead fish and feeding bears in them.
So I do treat drinking water out in the wilderness.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts