• Both will start

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My two TW’s have been sat languishing in an unheated garage since last November — I simply turned the petcocks to the “off” position, ran the float bowls dry, and left them with half a tank of gas in each

In about a weeks’ time, it’s my intention to attempt to start them both on the electric button, with no fuel additives, no battery tender — just haul them into the sunshine and expect them to behave exactly as they did when I put them away - (and with no tinkering)

The batteries on both bikes are probably over three years old — the “liquid variety” —which should add a certain amount of “tension” to the proceedings - (at the time of posting I have not even looked for a neutral light) ……

There’s a poll attached as to your impression of my chances, (feel free) — and I’d like this to lead to a discussion of your own experiences, and recommendations for “The Spring” start up

The question of how to “mothball” these bikes for Winter is well covered — but what did you find when you came to start them up again ?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Where about are you located on this here earth? (-30F winter temps or +45F winter temps?)

I voted "kick start" because of my experiences here in MN. I suspect your fuel will be fine, it is the battery that may be dead. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Good luck. Can you take / post a video of the attempted starts?

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anglesey - North Wales (UK)

Temperatures (thanks to the Gulf Stream) mean frosts, but rarely snow (except on the high ground) - bit of a "micro-climate"

This year it's been 2C to 5C during the day (+32F - 40F)

Video is likely to be "primitive" - though that may mask the ensuing expletives ......

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
17,974 Posts
Cool Poll. :D

I add some additive, leave the carb full, shut the petcock off and perk up the battery every few weeks. If I can't ride it that winter, I will start it and run it for a few minutes 2 or 3 times until spring comes.

How long do you warm it up in the Sunshine? :p

I voted "batteries dead".

:unsure: <<< Purples face after one bike fails to start, now wondering will the second one start? :D

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Judging the the funky smell in the garage, somethings going on - just hope I don't lose the octane

As for the "how long in the sunshine" question - about 20 minutes - by then the suspense will be killing me, plus I don't trust the sunshine to be there for longer than that

(I'll save the single malt for the aftermath) ........ ;)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Looks like I'm with the majority. I think with lead/acid batteries they will not start. They would if you had Shorai. Otherwise carb/fuel system will be good to go.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'm with the batteries dead group. It will probably kick start and sputter a bit. Make sure to let it sit with the petcock open to fill the fuel bowls before attempting to start them up. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
17,974 Posts

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Anglesey - North Wales (UK)

Temperatures (thanks to the Gulf Stream) mean frosts, but rarely snow (except on the high ground) - bit of a "micro-climate"

This year it's been 2C to 5C during the day (+32F - 40F)

Video is likely to be "primitive" - though that may mask the ensuing expletives ......
If there's no snow, why do you put them away for the winter?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts