TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Push-Starting the TW 200

8K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 ·
I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times on this forum.

In fact, I was having trouble pop-starting my TW today (even though its been on the Battery Tender all winter long).

Only after referring to this forum did I learn that its best to push start the TW in 3rd gear (not 1st, as I was trying). It made sense to me that popping in 1st gear should turn the engine over more times than it would in 2nd or 3rd gear; but 1st gear only lead to a lot of skidding.

It took 2, maybe 3 attempts to get her started using 3rd gear. Awesome advice--thanks! I don't understand the logic or mechanics of why 3rd gear is better to use than 1st, but I am a believer now. Is there a quick explanation for this? Having a kick-starter installed is beginning to make a lot of sense. I'll check out those topics next.

Anyone else have problems with their Battery Tenders? I know they don't really charge a depleted battery, but I was told if you have a fully-charged battery, it will keep it happy--long time. Any suggestions to get the best results from these?

Thanks--we all appreciate helpful tips!

See less See more
#31 ·
Pull starting is another option if you have a buddy close, but be careful to avoid off-center pulling on the handlebars. OEM cowling and/or a Jimbo Shield prevent attaching rope for a good axial tow. A severe broken leg to a good forum member occurred just seconds after this picture was taken :
Vehicle Motorcycle Adventure Enduro Motorcycling

Safer to use a tow strap from one bike's foot peg to opposite foot peg of the other bike.
I like a knot on either end of a rope rather than any potentially dangerous loop attachment as shown in the following picture. Place knot on footpeg's cleats and pressure from foot keeps rope secure. A simple release of either's foot releases everything and then rope rarely fouls on either bike...safe & secure.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycling

Reactions: Ken
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.