Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
17,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Toward.. My mom & dad rode a 305 honda and I rode a 305 yammie.. After I married they bought a Beemer and my wife and I moved up to a 500 yammie.. In 1976 my wife moved to her own bike.. My dad rode a bike until he was 80.. We started our son at age 10.. He rode until he married and that ended his riding.. Our daughter learned on a tw. Her hubby rides also..
I guess you could say riding is in the family. OMM.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
When I was young and had to stand on a tin can to kick a duck in the ass, I raced my dad on the cow paths in the pasture. I was on my Montgomery Ward 4hp powered rigid frame mini-bike. Dad was on his 175 Bridgestone 2 stroke street bike. Few years later just prior to me thinking I already knew everything, I rode up and down the gravel road on the Bridgestone practicing my shifting. The Bridgestone was 5 up and then 5 down for shifting. I had the bug. About 5 years later after joining the military and realizing I did not know everything (or ever would), I bought my first motorcycle, a 1978 Yamaha Red RD400 2 stroke street bike.

My mom never protested any of this.

So yes, they swayed me towards motorcycles.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
My WWII Veteran Dad despised Motorcycles, not the bikes themselves, the carnage on the highways...but growing up in South Florida, even back in the 1950s and 60s, the accident and death rates were pretty bad...so the old man steered my older brother and me away for Motorcycles...he had seen to much death on two wheels....while older brother Mike was never into bikes, I always had an eye for them, especially smaller off road cycles...when dad passed away on Christmas Eve 1972...my obligation to follow his wishes in the Motorcycle Agenda passed as well, and soon after I purchased my first bike, the Kawasaki 250 On/Off Road{Dual Sport of today}...and eventually graduated to larger street bikes until 2 nasty accidents{one my fault and one some old farts fault}, and a growing family made me decide to give up riding in 1988...once the Kids were grown and out of the house, I discovered "Big Dog Adventures" in 2013, and got the itch once again...and the rest is history: :p

I should add my mom, who will turn 92 next Spring, never has liked the fact that I rode or ride...but she knows the seeds were sown long ago...and although she still complains that I am a crazy 66 year old, she no longer presses the issue.;)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My mother was dead set against it.
My Father had owned a motorcycle in his 20's so was not.
When I turned 14, I swayed my dad to let me get a XL125 with my earning.

I bought a PW50 for my son when he was 4 after he had learned to ride a bicycle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Away from motorcycles. I get criticism constantly from my mom. My father is past on and I didn't ride when he was still alive. When I bought my first dual sport she convinced herself I would only ride off-road. Then when I got my BMW she wouldn't speak to me for two weeks. Finally I asked her how she would feel if I died on my motorcycle and she wasn't talking to me...Hahaha! My step father loves looking at my bikes and he road back in his day.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oddly enuff I didn't care for bikes for a long time. I much preferred my big old truck I was restoring. But my mum was and is an avid motorcycle rider (she was turned on to bikes by her father). She was always giving me a hard time for me saying bikes are of no interest to me saying don't knock it till you try it. Well once my trucks restoration was all done I got board and she convinced me to enter this charity mini bike build off deal. I had so much fun doing that I decided to try my mums bike. Two weeks later I had my license and my first bike. And have been riding ever since and have owned 10 or so bikes since. Even funnier still I have long since sold that big old truck I so prized.

·
Super Moderator
17,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Mom still hates it, but she gave up decades ago trying to talk me out of riding. Motorcycling is still my favorite thing to do...:p

·
Registered
667 Posts
My 3-year-older-than-me brother got a 1980 Yamaha GT80 for his birthday when he was like 12, which would have been about 1985. When our cousin passed a couple years later, my uncle gave us his 1978 Kawasaki KE175, so the GT80 became mine. I bought it from my brother in payments for $100 or something like that. My mom was originally against it but she relaxed in time. Then my brother broke my parents in on street bikes when he bought new a 1993 Katana 600, so when I bought my 1992 SecaII 600 in 1998 they were ok with it. A couple months ago there was a clean looking Yamaha GT80 on craigs list for $600 and I'm kicking myself for not scooping it up for my son... I miss that SecaII also, that was a fun little bike.

·
Super Moderator
17,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Mom was dead set against motorcycles so I was into cars growing up. When I moved out my choices were my own. I got my wife riding and my kids as well. It was great when I could sell my trailer and ride with my boy to the trails. Him on the TW and me on my KLX250.
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Super Moderator
17,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 38 Posts