TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it seems there are several tw folks that snowbird a bit down there, was thinking we need a sticky.

As I plan to head down that way in a few weeks it would be nice to hook up with fellow riders.
I would like those that are there to send me a PM so I can get the have too's and get the general layout down there.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Randel, I will be heading down by the end of the month. I like to start my stay in the Hi Jolly short term BLM just north of town on Highway 95. If you are coming south on Hwy. 95 from Parker and see the dump on the west side you just missed it, as the entrance is on the East. I usually camp near the back and stay on the south side. There is a trail out the back that takes you into some of the trails. There is another short term BLM farther north (Plomosa Rd), but I have not stayed there and it is on the road to Bouse. In the past after my first 2 weeks at Hi Jolly, I have headed into the LTVA area south of town, but I think I will go farther south this year and camp in one of the areas that lead into the Kofa. I hope to explore more of the Kofa this year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I heard that the laws regarding use of OHV trails changed this year. I read the information on the National Parks website (https://www.nps.gov/para/upload/california-original-1.pdf), but I can't make any sense of it. As a CA plated vehicle (and me being a CA M class licensed driver), does my TW need any special permit to use the OHV trails in AZ?
Yes and no on this issue. AZ is stressing that all out of state OHV users need to get a temporary OHV pass. However, since a licenced vehicle is being ridden, you could beat the issue in court however that is not going to keep you from getting cited for not having the tag. Game and Fish and BLM are both enforcing the mis-guided statute.
Mikey

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes and no on this issue. AZ is stressing that all out of state OHV users need to get a temporary OHV pass. However, since a licenced vehicle is being ridden, you could beat the issue in court however that is not going to keep you from getting cited for not having the tag. Game and Fish and BLM are both enforcing the mis-guided statute.
Mikey
I was looking through the OHV Rules and Regulations on the AZDFG website: AZGFD

It includes this document called, "Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Guide, OHV Laws and Places to Ride":

In there, it says:
Non-residents who meet ALL of the following are exempt from OHV Decal purchases:
1) The person is not a resident of Arizona.
2) The person owns the vehicle.
3) The person displays a current OHV Decal or registration from the person’s home state of residency.
4) The vehicle is not in the state for more than thirty (30) consecutive days.

I can't find the actual law, but that's their own brochure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was looking through the OHV Rules and Regulations on the AZDFG website: AZGFD

It includes this document called, "Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Guide, OHV Laws and Places to Ride":

In there, it says:
Non-residents who meet ALL of the following are exempt from OHV Decal purchases:
1) The person is not a resident of Arizona.
2) The person owns the vehicle.
3) The person displays a current OHV Decal or registration from the person’s home state of residency.
4) The vehicle is not in the state for more than thirty (30) consecutive days.

I can't find the actual law, but that's their own brochure.
I just called and spoke with AZGFD on the phone. It sounds like the law is very vague. She said that if my vehicle weighs less than 1,800 lbs and was designed by the manufacturer to be used off-road, then it needs a sticker. I asked her if it matters that my bike is a dual-sport, and she said she hasn't seen my bike, and repeated the above rule. I asked her if there was a rule that applies to dual-sport bikes in general, and she repeated the above rule. I could not get her to say for sure if I did or did not need one, but she concluded with, "the sticker is only $30. maybe you should just buy one".

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
i just read on the Az Fish and Game
Off-Highway Vehicle Decals

All off-highway vehicles (OHVs) designed by the manufacturer primarily for use over unimproved terrain and that weigh 2,500 pounds or less are required by law to display a valid OHV decal to operate on public and state trust lands in Arizona. This includes “street legal” vehicles that meet these two requirements.

seems to me it would be much simpler to spend the $25 on a sticker, than to try and figure out which department is going to get you

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Randel, I will be heading down by the end of the month. I like to start my stay in the Hi Jolly short term BLM just north of town on Highway 95. If you are coming south on Hwy. 95 from Parker and see the dump on the west side you just missed it, as the entrance is on the East. I usually camp near the back and stay on the south side. There is a trail out the back that takes you into some of the trails. There is another short term BLM farther north (Plomosa Rd), but I have not stayed there and it is on the road to Bouse. In the past after my first 2 weeks at Hi Jolly, I have headed into the LTVA area south of town, but I think I will go farther south this year and camp in one of the areas that lead into the Kofa. I hope to explore more of the Kofa this year.
View attachment 202947
Thanks, will be down in feb.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just called and spoke with AZGFD on the phone. It sounds like the law is very vague. She said that if my vehicle weighs less than 1,800 lbs and was designed by the manufacturer to be used off-road, then it needs a sticker. I asked her if it matters that my bike is a dual-sport, and she said she hasn't seen my bike, and repeated the above rule. I asked her if there was a rule that applies to dual-sport bikes in general, and she repeated the above rule. I could not get her to say for sure if I did or did not need one, but she concluded with, "the sticker is only $30. maybe you should just buy one".
I went to the State's on-line laws. Things have changed. In 2016, visitors had an absolute exemption (See #5):

Sec 28-1178
Operation of off-highway vehicles; exceptions

1, 2, 3, 4...

5. All of the following apply:
(a) The person is not a resident of this state.
(b) The person owns the vehicle.
(c) The vehicle displays a current off-highway vehicle user indicia or registration from the person's state of residency.
(d) The vehicle is not in this state for more than thirty consecutive days.

So, under 5(c), if your bike had either an OHV sticker from your state or a registration and license plate from your state, you were exempt. There was no issue over the definition of OHV.

But the exceptions part of the law posted as of the end of the Fall 2019 Legislative Session are:

Sec 28-1178. Operation of off-highway vehicles; exceptions

A person may operate an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle in this state without a resident or nonresident off-highway vehicle user indicia issued pursuant to section 28-1177 if any of the following applies:

1, 2, 3, 4 ... (same as before)

5. The vehicle displays a valid dealer license plate that the department issues pursuant to section 28-4533.

1-4 are the same as in 2016. But #5 is no longer about visitors and is now about dealer plates.

So, what they did was no longer exempt visitors that operate OHVs in their home states. They clearly want the money for OHVs that are visiting. But the law apparently does exempt visitors with non-OHV bikes.

The definitions of OHV are:

ARS 28-1171 Definitions:
6. "Off-highway vehicle":
(a) Means a motorized vehicle that is operated primarily off of highways and that is designed, modified or purpose-built primarily for recreational nonhighway all-terrain travel.

ARS 28-1177
A. A person shall not operate or allow the operation of an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle in this state without either a resident or nonresident off-highway vehicle user indicia issued by the department if the all-terrain vehicle or off-highway vehicle meets both of the following criteria:

1. Is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain.
2. Has an unladen weight of two thousand five hundred pounds or less.

So now, it's an interpretation of the word "primarily:"
"operated primarily off of highways and that is designed, modified or purpose-built primarily for recreational nonhighway all-terrain travel."
and
"designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain."

A TW isn't an OHV because it isn't used "primarily" for ... It is a street bike used for both commuting, riding around, etc., and driving off-highway. The very fact that it is a dual sport means it's not primarily one or the other. It's a 50/50 by design as per Yamaha. The OHV version of a TW is a TT-R230.

But, now it will be me arguing Street and them arguing OHV. MikeK - This is what I assume is happening with the ticketing going on. We're losing the argument in the field, even if we might win in court.

UPDATE as of Jan 21, 2020: I just talked to the author of the Quartzsite Off-Road Atlas that you can buy online or download the Geo-pdf from Avenza. He's also at Quartzsite Off-Road at the Quartzsite Improvement Association. He said that AZGFD is enforcing the new rules that went into effect September 1, 2019. They are interpreting the rules (right or wrong) by vehicle use, not the manufacturer's intent or licensing. If you ride around off-road, it's an OHV in their opinion. He said everyone needs a decal.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm arriving Jan 30 or 31 and departing Feb 12. I will start up near Hi Jolly as per Ekhart's recommendation unless someone arriving when I do has a different preference. I've never been there. So all rides will be new to me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Have some great rides this year guys. Layed up with wrist and shoulder problems here. might have to look into jeeps :(

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Last week it was 15 Fahrenheit with over a foot of snow and now it is 50 Fahrenheit and the monsoons have stopped for a few hours, so I got the camper on the truck.
Just waiting for another granddaughter to be born so we can go meet here and then I will head south. Also waiting for a new front tire for the VStrom which should be here Thursday.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Plumb, I'm here in Quartzsite, for the winter. It would be great to ride with you again. We're in Long Term Laposa South, that's the long term with water and a dumping station. Let me know where you guys are camped, when you arrive, and I'll find ya.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts