TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shoveoff date is fast approaching. Jan. 15th is showing a good window to sneak past all the fluffy white stuff and head on down. Warmin up the RV, making sure everything works and packing for early Tuesday morning. Hope to get to around Pendelton the first day with a rest stop over night. Trying for Winnemucca the next. We'll see how that goes. Quartzite area for a good month or two, fitting death valley in there somehow. Looking I find the right group to travel into Mexico with. San Felipe is on my mind. Doing 3 months down that way till it comes back north. May stay a little longer just to see some of u old pharts at Moab.:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Me and my son will be in Quartzsite with our T Dubs from Jan 18-20. Anybody got any suggestions for us as to camping or riding spots? We want to hit the junk shows a bit each day but then ride off into the sunset for the evening.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Me and my son will be in Quartzsite with our T Dubs from Jan 18-20. Anybody got any suggestions for us as to camping or riding spots? We want to hit the junk shows a bit each day but then ride off into the sunset for the evening.
Call me.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Camper or tenting, DD? I will just be figuring it out when I get down there. But I'll keep in touch. Colorado River BLM just by Blythe has been suggested by a Facebook dude as a good one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tents. I was considering packing the bikes and finding a remote site far from town. Then I remembered it's still cold so might be nice to camp next to my truck which will be full of firewood and propane. We'll be getting into Blythe late Friday night and camping on a motel room floor (which is an option for us all weekend if it's too cold or rainy). We'd like to camp Saturday and maybe Sunday after we've had a chance to explore the area. My house is filled with crap from many years of visiting Quartzsite, but this will be my first time seeing it from a TW point of view.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, just over a year ago I was still in a tent. But the last meet at Moab and sub freezing temps and a tent full of fine dust had the little man, (who was quite shriveled by then) saying;Toad, u r too old for this shit. So now it's downsized the living space, freed up cash and a pretty new most luxurious RV with the Dub slung off the back. Look u up when I get down there.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
I know it is winter but the route down from BC passes through some impressive country. Why not slow down and detour to enjoy other interesting sites and add to your life's experiences? What's another hundred miles or so when you're on a multi-thousand mile journey if it allows you to visit other Bucket List destinations, after all when will you next be close to some of these places? Death Valley, Lost Wages, soak in some hot springs, pee in the Colorado, etc.
I suppose you could drive straight through to Quartzite and simply tell everyone "I drove to Quatzite", or instead "On the way to Quartzite I saw....and visited the most amazing...and met these wonderful...etc" Life should be an adventure in the new RV, no need to be in a rush.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Fred, I have enjoyed those different route going down and coming up in the past and will do so again. Matter of fact on of the first planned routes was down 395 thru John Day and so on but as even as short ago as last fall I was doing the Hot Springs circuit in the new RV and ran into a couple of heavy, heavy snow storms. Even tho I am confident in my own driving in all kinds of weather, it was the view of more than one other guy getting out of control and heading right at my new $85000 toy. So, sticking to my guns and saving the real sight seeing for a bit later. And if I'm lucky I may be treated to some grand sights in ol Mekiko.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
That's the attitude! Rastros felices Senior Doug ("Happy trails" in American, don't know how to say it in Canadian).

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well, I detoured to see Admiral and the roads were not good and I have winter tires. Motad stick with a plan to get out of the snow areas.
I am at High Joly short term area north of town near the back south side. I think I am in the same spot as last year.
Drop by if you want to ride. No one taking info with government shutdown.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I decided to "camp" at the Super 8 in Quartzsite since a room became available. Instead of spending long cold nights foraging for fire wood, I'll have a hot shower and spend my evenings at Silly Al's. That's kind of a special place for me and my son. I took him there when he was 10 years old on karaoke night and we watched an old lady in a tube top, a skirt and a frilly leather fanny sack sing, "Tequila Makes My Clothes Fall Off". Memories... because you can't forget that.

I'm looking at Gaia Maps right now and it looks like there are a ton of trails leaving from near the motel. I'm using the 1930 historic topo map to create routes following old mining roads and adding waypoints for the mines, USGS markers, or anything else I can spot on the older maps that looks interesting. This is gonna be fun :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heading south this morn and am looking at some pretty hairy stuff on the radar down Admiral's way. Any reports?

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
So Commandog, are you pleased with your headlight? It seemed so dim last year at the San Rafael Swell something must have been wrong. Dirty lens? Aimed at ground or sky?
Wish someone would post a video of the illumination provided in the real world riding conditions. Say out on the trail or someplace with dark surroundings, not just inside a garage or diluted by city street lights.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts