TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quartzsite 2021 (RV show is Jan 16-24 if interested)

Attendees:
1. Trial Run and Mrs. TR (Greg and Pat) - Arrive Sunday, Jan 24; Depart - Mrs. TR a few days later, Greg maybe 2 weeks.
2. MikeK and Mo - Dates:TBA; Quartzsite and Kofa area and then down toward Yuma
3. AllanB - Arrive ~ Jan 24th; Depart: End of February
4. White Elephant and Mrs. WE

Rules:
Arizona Game and Fish:
You need an offroad vehicle sticker for each vehicle you will take on the trails. You get them online and print the paperwork if the passes don't arrive before you leave home.
AZGFD

BLM Camping:
Free Areas - 14 days max
LTVAs - 14 days for $40 (have some facilities (COVID is affecting facilities though))
All Season for $180 at LTVAs
The pass can be used at all the LTVAs if you move around

Riding Info:
Quartzsite Off-Roading sells an Atlas ($28 and set up like a Key Map - it's very good) and has an electronic version of the trail map that can be downloaded through the Avenza mapping app. USGS maps are free and this special Quartzsite e-trail map is $15. The web site for the atlas and other info is:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly, not happening this coming year.
Enjoy the show and Silly Al’s.
Can't you get an American to drive your truck/trailer across the border and then fly to Seattle or similar to take over? Or we set up a "motorcycle repair company" that you contract to and then you can cross for work to repair bikes in AZ, or ??

Reactions: Allanb

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Admirals had planned on being there for 3 weeks. unfortunately, due to COVID, we now are the tired and grumpy caregivers for our 7 year old grandson. Planning on next year though!
Can't you bring him along and just take turns staying in camp? I could even be part of the rotation. It's a good excuse for a day off.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mo and I are going down to do some exploring in and around Q and the KOFA area. Possibly then going down towards Yuma to check out the southern half of the CABDR.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mo and I are going down to do some exploring in and around Q and the KOFA area. Possibly then going down towards Yuma to check out the southern half of the CABDR.
Mike, Do you have some dates planned? I can add them above.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Be good to ride with you again Greg.
I'am heading down the third week of January. Be in the area from Jan. 15th or so, thru February.
No tdub, no more. But if you don't mind a quad, ( I know, I know, shag wagon, gear hauler etc) love to explore. Know some of the trails, thanks to all the great Quartsite crew a few yrs ago. Still have all the maps.

Not messing around this year. Putting a toy hauler together, and bringing everything, including the kitchen sink.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Allan, Sounds good. Do you have a specific area in mind for your “house?”

·
Registered
299 Posts
No specific area in mind Greg. You? I'd like to explore a few of them. Maybe 4 days to a week apiece. Just want to be away from freeway/road noise, And have a view. Will have to look up the different Variety of Blm area's again. and how long you can stay where. Going to start in Death Valley, and work my way south by east :)
Bummer not to catch up with our northern cousins, Eckhart and Darrel, look forward to seeing you guys in 2022!
Mrs and Mr Admiral: 7 yr old?!?! Where do you guys find the energy? To keep up? with a 7 yr old boy? Good on ya!!
Like a lot of folks, I can see a lot of pent up? energy? frustration? Whatever it is, I can see a blowout 2022. Whowheee

·
Registered
418 Posts
Is this red thing two TDubs welded together?

Be good to ride with you again Greg.
I'am heading down the third week of January. Be in the area from Jan. 15th or so, thru February.
No tdub, no more. But if you don't mind a quad, ( I know, I know, shag wagon, gear hauler etc) love to explore. Know some of the trails, thanks to all the great Quartsite crew a few yrs ago. Still have all the maps.
View attachment 210139 View attachment 210140 View attachment 210141
Not messing around this year. Putting a toy hauler together, and bringing everything, including the kitchen sink.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Just want to be away from freeway/road noise,
Head into the Kofa, Crystal Mountain. I believe you can spend a week maybe 2 there. I had the place to myself (and the coyotes) for 3 nights.
Well I tried to insert a picture, but it is not working on the new laptop (M1 processor)

Don't forget to get your Arizona off-road permit for your ATV before you head down.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks for the good tips as always Eckhart! Just looked up Kofa/Crystal mtn in my trusty benchmark map, and already had it circled.
Just cked the rv show website. Say it is all still happening. Maybe ck out the last day. Put off arrival till then to avoid the crowds a bit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Allan - I'm arriving Thursday the 21st and will go to the show on Friday the 22nd. That way I miss most of the crowd by getting in a weekday at the show. Plus the show will end a couple of days later and the crowd will clear out. But It might not be as crowded this year due to Canadians being unable to get in to the U.S.

I can move around also. Last year, Eckhart, Randall and I were up just north of town at first. We camped at the High Jolly Recreation Area. Then Eckhart moved to the Kofa area he mentions above just as I was leaving for Texas. Darrell was south of town.

I was tentatively looking at starting at High Jolly again (free). It's close enough to town to commute 10 minutes in for the show but not so close as to be noisy. And, there is some stuff northwest of there that I didn't get to do last year. Most of that would be good for a 4-wheeler. Then I thought Kofa would be good. It will be away from town, quiet and have the scenery you want (according to Eckhart). Then I thought I'd move back up toward just south of town and stay in La Posa LTVA (have to pay) or in the wash southeast of town (free).

As far as the rules, the free areas have 14-day limits. You check in as you arrive and get a window marker with the expiration date. In the LTVAs, they have some facilities and there is a charge.

And as Eckhart said, you need to get the AZ Game and Fish Offroad sticker (or paper saying the sticker is in the mail).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sounds like a plan Greg. I haven't ridden that area N.E. of Hi Jolly. Be good to see. Pm out

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Sounds like a plan Greg. I haven't ridden that area N.E. of Hi Jolly. Be good to see. Pm out
Have you gone to the Quartzsite rocks and Bouse fisherman Intaglio?

Did we not do Preacher pass?

Have you done the Southern cross mine?

NW has some fun trails, you just need to watch for the Indian Land unless you have their pass.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts