TW200 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Here are some interesting rides in the KOFA.

The blue with green makes for a good day. Some deep sand to get to De la osa well, but a fun trip.
Red is just a scenic road on the south, north is a boring road.
Black has cabins to visit and lots of sand washes.
Yellow is to the skull rock. Lots of baby heads to get over. No point in going past the skull as the trail is closed after a few km. I did this on the Wee along with parts of the other trails.
Darrel and I did the blue and green.
TomT and I did the black.

Tom, I believe your ATV needs to be street licensed to drive in the KOFA as all the trail are designated as highways.

Attachments

Reactions: Allanb

·
Registered
299 Posts
Have you gone to the Quartzsite rocks and Bouse fisherman Intaglio?
View attachment 210388
Did we not do Preacher pass?
View attachment 210389
Have you done the Southern cross mine?

NW has some fun trails, you just need to watch for the Indian Land unless you have their pass.
No. I remember laying out (recovering from however many miles we rode, doing the whole s.w. side !) the day you guys went and rode the n.e./ preacher pass.
How/what is that little stretch of red trail south of preacher pass? There is all kinds of red (use caution) trails on the s.w. side. I just remember them as being rockier, but no big deal. ( other than that first super steep hill that started my education!). Like you said, I think the trails are graded more for the sxs and jeep crowd than bikes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here are some interesting rides in the KOFA.
View attachment 210393
The blue with green makes for a good day. Some deep sand to get to De la osa well, but a fun trip.
Red is just a scenic road on the south, north is a boring road.
Black has cabins to visit and lots of sand washes.
Yellow is to the skull rock. Lots of baby heads to get over. No point in going past the skull as the trail is closed after a few km. I did this on the Wee along with parts of the other trails.
Darrel and I did the blue and green.
TomT and I did the black. View attachment 210394

Tom, I believe your ATV needs to be street licensed to drive in the KOFA as all the trail are designated as highways.
Good info. I was trying to decipher the typically arcane state licensing codes when I put in for ohv tag. In Washington don't believe it can be street legal. Looks like legal in Az with lights mirrors etc. Will have to take another look

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The red section of Preacher’s pass is a steep rock climb with some eroded trenches that are parallel and diagonal to your travel up the hills. There are also a few ledge to be aware of. At the top (where the view is) is state land and technically you are not supposed to stop. Best to turn around and come back down otherwise you have a long and not so exciting trip from Brenda back to camp. You could always go down to Brenda and then turn around and come back over Preacher’s pass. Eric, Randy and I had a few issues getting back from Brenda along the Highway as some of the trail was blocked with a gate and fenced.

I like doing Preacher’s pass as it is a bit of a challenge.
The last time I did Hog’s back I did it in the reverse direction to what we did. A bit more challenging and I got some dirty looks from the ATV and side by side crowd.

If you go to the mine sites watch out for nails. I picked one up the last time I did a NE ride.

Have you done the Good, the Bad and the Ugly?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Here is the vehicle regulation for the KOFA

All vehicles must be registered. On National Wildlife Refuges, all vehicles, including all all-terrain cycles, dirt bikes, motorcycles, sand rails, “gators”, and “E-Z Go” golf carts must be registered, insured, and street legal, {50 CFR 27.31(f)}. All drivers must also have a state issued drivers’ license in good standing. In order for the vehicle to be registered it must have all safety equipment required by the State of Arizona, please go to www.azgfd.com/ohv/ for street legal operation information. A license plate beginning with “MC” is registered, while an “RV” plate is title only and may not be operated on any of the National Wildlife Refuges. This regulation provides for the safety of all visitors since everyone must share the designated roadways.

Here is a link to where I got it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Eckhart, Where was that good campsite in the Kofa?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Crystal mountain; 6 miles in from 95. The best spots are next to the large wash that is next to the mountain. You do have to go through 2 small washes to get to them.

Crystal mountain behind (it has been cleaned out, but is a relaxing morning hike)

view from the Wash up into my campsite.
This is a great place to start exploring the KOFA northern edge.
You are allowed to camp in other places in the KOFA as long as you are 1 mile from water and do not go off the beaten path.
Lots of people are camped along side the road into the Palms.

I talked with the ranger and asked if you needed the OHV permit in the KOFA since the trails are technically part of the highway system. He said yes as you have to cross the BLM land to get into the KOFA.

Take care turning off of highway 95 around mile marker 95 onto the road in as there was a large drop last year. Best to cross the highway prior and angle in if there is no traffic.
Check your odometer and when you get close to the 6 mile mark there will be a road that veers north. Take it to the camping area. If no one is camped there you may miss it.

Reactions: Allanb and TrialRun

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mo and I still have not settled on a date to go but we are planning on staying at Hi-Jolly to start with and the second half of January sounds about right for us. It would be fun to ride with others.
Mikey

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just a side note, the BLM office in Yuma has a good map of the Kofa and will mail it to you for a small fee. The map is well worth it as it shows all roads, cabins, etc. There is a volunteer usually camped on the road to Palm Canyon and he usually has single page maps but the BLM is far better.
Mikey

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Just a side note, the BLM office in Yuma has a good map of the Kofa and will mail it to you for a small fee. The map is well worth it as it shows all roads, cabins, etc. There is a volunteer usually camped on the road to Palm Canyon and he usually has single page maps but the BLM is far better.
Mikey
One the way in there is a station on each of the access roads that explains the area and has a map.
I also downloaded the map (free download) from Avenza to use on my phone. Tom I believe you use Avenza. It is the same one at the entrance and what I took screen shots of in this thread.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One the way in there is a station on each of the access roads that explains the area and has a map.
I also downloaded the map (free download) from Avenza to use on my phone. Tom I believe you use Avenza. It is the same one at the entrance and what I took screen shots of in this thread.
Avenza is a good program but I still enjoy a paper map.
Mikey

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yep, like to always carry a paper map. But at most crossroads, Eckhardt has his phone out and pointing the correct way, before I can even get out my map!
I'll have to give avenza another go. Switched to on-x cause it gives you all the land ownership. But avenza may be better for trails

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Changing arrival date by a few days. Now going to be the afternoon of the 24th.

Mrs. TR is coming along for some of this one. So instead of driving straight through from Houston, we're going to take a week and go to Big Bend and Kartchner Caverns State Park (AZ) on the way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Karcher Caverns definitely worth a trip. We've done 2 of the 3 tours,Fun to see. Have a campground as part of the park if want to stay there.
Got in a few miles today. Only second time on this land yacht. Definitely some differences from a tw to get used to.
Makes sand doable for me anyway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Allan, We're staying at the State park.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts