TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Latest Edit:
10/12: Added Donzo to list
10/11: Added Eckhart and Linda to list
Added Ski Pro 3, wife and sister-in-law to list

Planning Thread for Jan-Feb, 2022 Quartzsite meetup - As usual, I'll edit this first post with attendee names and any useful info that pops up in the subsequent posts.

2022 Attendees:
1. Trial Run and Mrs. TR (Greg and Pat) - Arrive ~Jan 28th for ~2 weeks (Pat part of it).
2. Admiral and Mrs. Admiral (Kris and Lori) - Seriously considering coming. Arrive ~Jan 31 for two weeks.
3. MikeK and Mo (Mike and Mo) - Jan 27 to ~Feb 9
4. AllanB (Allan) - Arriving earlyish Feb and staying for the truck camper meetup
5. Ejfranz (Eckhart and Linda) - Plan to arrive end of Jan or early Feb.
6. Ski Pro 3, wife and sister-in-law - January
7. Donzo - Couple of Winter months.

2019 had ejfranz, Plumbstraight, Alberta Darrel (usually winters in Quartzsite), TrialRun
2020 had White Elephant, Mrs. WE, AllanB, TrialRun and Mrs. TR

RV Show is Jan 22-30 for those interested in attending or avoiding.

Meet up Location: TBD - Last 2 years, we started at the free Hi Jolly BLM site north of town (camper, RV, 5th wheel friendly). This is a good location for riding all the north of town and most of the southwest of town trails. Then, various people moved to the KOFA and Yuma areas as time passed.

Off-Road Sticker Needed - Arizona Game and Fish:
You need an offroad vehicle sticker for each vehicle you will take on the trails. You get them online and print the paperwork if the passes don't arrive before you leave home.
AZGFD
I always order mine the day before I leave for AZ and take the paper receipt. This lets me avoid putting stickers on my bike that I have to scrape off later. The paper receipt is good for 30 days as I recall. So if you plan to be in AZ longer than a month or want to come and go during the year, make sure you do this early enough to get the stickers delivered. If you read the law, we shouldn't need them due to the definitions of a vehicle that is "primarily" for off road use. But you do, since they will write you a ticket. If you want to protest in a court setting after the fact that Dual Sports are exactly that, dual, feel free to do so. But the sticker is cheaper.

BLM Camping:
Free Areas - 14 days max
LTVAs - 14 days for $40 (have some facilities, but COVID is affecting what's available)
LTVAs - Full 7-month Season for $180
The pass can be used at all the LTVAs if you move around

Riding/Trails Info:
Quartzsite Off-Roading sells an Atlas ($28 and set up like a Key Map - it's very good) and has an electronic version of the trail map that can be downloaded through the Avenza mapping app. USGS maps are free in Avenza and this special Quartzsite e-trail map is $15. The web site for the atlas and other info is:

Fun Facts to Know:
Golf Course - yes, there is a golf course there. I almost got hit by a pink ball last year when riding past. Apparently, it is sort of a one-club course. You hit over the mesquites as there are no fairways and chip over the gravel into the "hole" which is an ~10'-diameter circle. The four couples I saw had a club in one hand and a beer in the other. Their pickups with the rest of the beer were at the "clubhouse." I think they wrote it up and posted pictures here: golf-in-desert-at-quartzsite-gulf-course.html. The clubhouse consists of three folding chairs and an outhouse at the first tee. They have a weekly golf tournament. I propose a TW riders golf tournament. I think I have a set of clubs a neighbor gave me 30 years ago. I bet I can find one club for this and if you don't have one I'm willing to share.

Shooting Range - Kind of like the golf course. It's a bulldozed stretch with berms on the sides. I plan to bring a .22 rifle and some empty cans. Shooting tournament?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mo and I would enjoy such a trip. I love the KOFA area but riding there from Hi Jolly wouldn't be an issue, just top off in town and head out.
Mikey

P.S. Although I might add that it is hard to think about or get excited about Quartzsite in the middle of August.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, Glad you're interested. I'll add your name up top. If you get an arrival date as it gets closer, let us know.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We will plan to be there in time to catch a bit of the RV show (even though there is little there that fits our less than oppulent lifestyle). We'll also stay a full 14 day period. So, tentatively, we will plan on being there by January 27 through February 9 and we could split that up between the KOFA and one of the 14 day areas. We are flexible both in dates and camp loactions. Also, Mo rides the TW but being 6'7" I find the TW a bit cramped and ride a KLX 400. Hope folks don't mind.

Mikey

·
Registered
332 Posts
hooting Range - Kind of like the golf course. It's a bulldozed stretch with berms on the sides. I plan to bring a .22 rifle and some empty cans. Shooting tournament?
oh, yeah. And I'll bring a .22 size drill along as well, and paper targets. Like they say about photos, it you can't do it on paper, it didn't happen.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Hoping the border is open by then.
If so then Linda and I will head down late January or early February.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
We’re hoping you’ll be paroled by then too! It’s been forever since Kris had a fellow TW hooligan to drink moonshine with!
I can almost taste it, YUM.
You need to have a talk with your President.
Linda and I got back from our cross Canada adventure today.
Just over 15000 km with truck and camper and about 3000 km on the Wee.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
On a positive note, the US is now accepting WHO recommended vaccines.
I may need to do a trip to Hawaii to test out the process.
Hopefully the land crossings open in 11 days to fully vaccinated Canadians.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
My wife says her sister is heading to Quartzite in January and wants to meet up with her. So I guess we are going in January. Nothing more specific than that yet though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
On a positive note, the US is now accepting WHO recommended vaccines.
I may need to do a trip to Hawaii to test out the process.
Hopefully the land crossings open in 11 days to fully vaccinated Canadians.
Dang a test trip to Hawaii. What a bummer :)
May get leaned on by wife and daughter to go there again this winter. But I prefer the open spaces of the south west

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Dang a test trip to Hawaii. What a bummer :)
May get leaned on by wife and daughter to go there again this winter. But I prefer the open spaces of the south west
You could try the big island (Hawaii) as it is supposed to be less populated. I have not been, but my brother in law was there and enjoyed it. We may try it or go back to Maui and do more exploring. I just wish I could rent a standard transmission car. Hwy 30 was fun to drive even with the automatic.

Reactions: Allanb

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Definitely plan to do Quartsite next year.... going to be at the AZ home, about 3 hours away. May go both months for a couple weeks to spend time with both groups. Quartsite is a really fun town in the winter months! Need to get to Silly Als for pizza and a pitcher of beer (y) .

·
Registered
91 Posts
So it sounds like we have some shooting and some riding planned. That should be fun. I pretty much have a shootin iron in camp anyway so I just need to make sure to bring along a couple of 22's too. Looking forward to this gathering.
Mikey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts