TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this forum is TW200, but I noticed many comments about the XT250 as well. I'd like to know if the 250 can be lowered 1" if desired to do so. Also can it's rims handle fatter tires like the 200. If the posting is not acceptable here, what XT250 forum would you recommend. Thanks

Kenny4

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think you could lower the XT250 easily enough, but I don't think you could fit wide tires on it.

What kind of riding do you expect to do?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
........ I'd like to know if the 250 can be lowered 1" if desired to do so. Also can it's rims handle fatter tires like the 200. .....Kenny4..
Yes, you can lower the XT250 1".

The XT has a link rear suspension. Just need to put on a different length link.

Soupy's has an adjustable lowering link:

You can also ease off on the rear shock preload to lower the rear.

Be aware that if you lower it too much you will need to shorten the kickstand.

If you lower the rear, you should also lower the front by sliding the fork tubes up (raising) in the triple tree. Measure before and after to maintain steering geometry.

You can also go up one tire size front and rear.

This is what I recently put on the rear of the XT:

You can put a 3.00-21 on the front.

jb

Reactions: kenny4

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jbfla---Thank you for the solid answers. Do the larger tires you put on yours help at all in sandy washes etc. If you have time, could you post a pic of your XT. Thanks

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Forgot to include the (expensive) adjustable length kickstand from Soupy's :

I should also mention that Soupy's does not have the greatest reputation for customer service.

I personally have not had any problems with them. I had their links and kickstand on my DR 650.

Also, the larger tire has a taller profile, so that might slightly affect the bike's ride height.

As for the Shinko E-700 tires, I have not tried them yet. Bike is in NC and I won't be able to get there until some time in July.

In the NC mountains there's not much sand. Riding is mainly on clay and gravel forest service roads, with occasional mud holes.

If I had to ride much sand, think I would choose different tires.

Can't wait to try out the new tire and tubeless rim/wheel:

I think this is the most recent photo of my XT:

jb

Reactions: kenny4

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I bought Soupy's lowering link and kickstand for my CRF250L, they worked out very well.

Reactions: jbfla

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Reactions: kenny4 and jbfla

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
SD, thanks for the reminder of the air induction on my 2014.

Meant to do the modification before but completely forgot about it.

Since I bought my XT used from a dealer, the recall may have been done, but I had planned to remove the whole system. I even purchased the block off plate. Hope I can find it. :rolleyes:

How are you liking your 3 wheeler?

I have a couple of geezer (like me) riding pals that have gone to trikes....I'm resisting as long as possible.

jb

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Took about 300 miles (<week) to become accustomed to 3 track. More of a challenge dodging potholes and rocks. Clearance at radiator is only 4 inches, but more clearance under lower control arms.

Not as smooth on rough roads.

MPG is only about 33, as the Ryker with CVT trans runs higher RPMs. Cruising at 70 MPH is ~6,000 RPMs. 100 MPH is 7600. 82 HP for 900 Rotax motor is rated at 8,000 RPMs. 5 1/4 gallon fuel tank.

Motor is 3 cylinder, DOHC, 12 valves, liquid cooled.

Mine is stock appearance, other than Can Am sport windshield, Can Am handguards and custom rear fender loops to tie down small bag and/or jackets. Bought from same dealer as TW 200 and XT250. OTD $11,319.

Internal changes are NGK iridium spark plugs for longer life and for me to verify that spark plug access was not a challenge. At 900 miles (1 month), BRP 5W40 Synthetic blend still looks new. It is rated by Can Am for up to 104 F and I have ridden in 109 F, already. Will replace with Castrol 10W50 RS Power Racing 4T full synthetic, probably before end of June.

After my eye issue Aug 2918 (self corrected within a few months), I promised my wife no more motorcycles, so this is referred to as the Ryker or the roadster, not a m/c...only way I could get my face in the wind, again!

Off the grid Mon-Wed for 49th anniversary trip to North Rim and Zion.

Best to ya...best to all on this forum.

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Thanks for the Ryker info and experience.

I had looked at the Spyder F3 a few times, (the local Yamaha dealer also sells Can-AM).

Trying to resist..... :rolleyes:

jb

·
Registered
483 Posts
You might check out Thumper Talk and Adventure Rider forums. They have bike specific subforums.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, a guy locally put up an add for an xt250, a tw200 and anxt225. He had all 3. The xt250 was a 2009 with 900 miles and sold immediately for $3200. The tw200 was a 2001 and had 3000 miles and sold immediately. The xt225 was a 2007 with 500 miles and also for sale at $3200. I wound up with the xt225 and he threw in a harbor freight receiver rack to get it home. Probably over paid but was tired of beating the bushes. The bike is basically brand new and seems to run fine, so I'm good with it.

The guy that puts out the vids on YT about the tw200, (tdubskid), does an excellent job and a lot of it is very relatable to the xt225 as are many posts here in the tech. area. So I still lurk and ask questions here.

Kenny4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts