TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good friend who is a disabled military veteran. He tired riding my 200 in the desert and it hurt his back and neck too much. We would really like to explore the desert together.

Is a 4 trac (ATV) smoother over rough ground than the TW. We tried a side by side and it was pretty rough also.

Thanks for responding

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
They CAN be. The main thing is having the suspension set up correctly.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have two quads and two TWs. riding in comfort is directly related to speed and terrain. the TW is going to go as slow as you can in low gear. The quads can go slower as for the most part they are automatics. As an older fellow I can say that riding a bike is an up and down motion whereas the quad is a four direction machine. Up and down and side to side depending on what hole the tire drops in. As a side by side has a longer wheel base it could be an easier ride. I don't know what disabilities your friend has, but to me, it depends on the driver the most. If the bumps hurt, slow down.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Also there a big differences between brands. Kawasaki is pretty rough, Yamaha is better as is Polaris. Polaris side by sides can be pretty smooth also.

·
Registered
132 Posts
IMHO most four wheel drive 500+ cc quads in stock configuration would be "easier" ride. At slower/moderate speeds. Particularly when considering all the factors of easy riding not just ride quality.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If possible look for one with independent suspension on all 4 wheels. Preferably one that can be tuned.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
My wife also has back issues. She rides a Polaris Trail Boss 330. Nice wide seat and soft suspension and tire pressure not too high and it rides real smooth.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just happened into this thread and like Scotti, my wife also has back issues AND wants to ride too but currently doesn't. 4wheeler might not be a bad idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've only ridden a sport quad once, years ago, but as I recall they have a much more compliant suspension that the general purpose ATV's. They are 2 wheel drive so they won't go as many places but that said, if there are back issues, the knarley trails are off limits anyhow. Try one out if you can, I think that may be the most comfortable way to get out in the desert as long as the 4w drive trails are avoided.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Along with my TW I have a Polaris Sportsman 400. The Polaris has a very plush seat and adjustable rear shocks. A Polaris with some sort of back support to lean on might make for a comfortable enough ride. Good luck!!

Joemama

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I just happened into this thread and like Scotti, my wife also has back issues AND wants to ride too but currently doesn't. 4wheeler might not be a bad idea. Thanks!
We just got a Yamaha Grizzly 450 for my wife. She doesn't have back issues, but fear issues.....:eek:.

I have the back issues! It was interesting to me to see the difference between the TW and the Grizzly. I discovered it was pretty much all about speed and just how rocky the trail was. The TW has a certain minimum speed below which you have to dabble your feet. The ATV has no real minimum speed as long as it's still moving. So in rough ground or on a gnarly rocky hill climb the ATV is much more comfortable and less effort when going really slow.

On the other hand, the TW's suspension is more compliant at speed, and if you stand up even more so. On a moderately rough trail I can comfortably go much faster than the ATV. (unless it's being driven by a teenager.....:p)

There are some types of terrain where the ATV has a huge advantage, like deep mud, water crossings with nasty hidden boulders, and most important, hill climbs with lots and lots of ball bearing rocks.

On either machine, I must wear both an SI belt and a kidney belt to go for more than an hour or so on rough trails. Neck sometimes gets sore on the bike, never on the ATV.

Another interesting thing I found is that what I look at while riding is totally different. On the TW I'm looking for a good line 6" wide, then the incline of that line, then surface hazards like roots and loose rocks, all bad if you don't see them.
On the ATV, I'm looking pretty much only at what side slope I'm going to encounter and which line will keep that to a minimum. ATV's are VERY scary on side slopes that the TW would negotiate just fine with a little thin indentation like a set of footprints.

Bottom line, an ATV is pretty comfortable in rough terrain IF you drive slowly. The machines are well matched in the types of terrain we are willing to deal with...she can tackle stuff on the ATV that she would NEVER ride on the TW, as long as it doesn't involve more than mild cross slope travel.

We have yet to deal with the issue of me having to wait for 3 minutes every 5 minutes for her to catch up.....;):mad:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
My wife has back issues and I have a bad shoulder. Driving my Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV became a chore. I traded it for a Polaris RZR side by side and will never look back. 4 wheel independent suspension that gives a very smooth ride and I rarely ever need the 4 wheel drive. As long as it will fit width wise it will go anywhere an ATV will go and do it easier. The steering wheel is way better than handle bars on my shoulder. The only real drawback I have is I don't feel real planted when I am on a side hill and concerned with rolling over. I will testify I have been on some highly slanted side hills and got brown shorted a few times but never have rolled it.

ATVs require some degree of upper body work and the ability to lean when on curves or side slanted hills. I would not recommend any solid axel side by side but the few that have independent suspension should be the cats meow for your pal.

GaryL

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would look at a 2 up quad (legal 2 passenger machine). They are made by Can-Am, Polaris and Arctic Cat. The Can-Am 400 may be the easiest to control but the Polaris has a better 4 wheel drive system.

If you get one with power steering they are a ton more comfortable to ride.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I prefer the straight axle 4x4 but the independent suspension ride alot smoother. One of the smoothest i have ridden is the honda rincon. Most of the newer Independent rear suspension 4x4 rides pretty good and they have nice fat seat. It all depends on your scenario also. On a tw you can pick a tiny line and keep everything fairly smooth and on an atv you will have to run over things that you could divert around on a tw. Speed is a huge factor also. It also depends on your riding style. I ride standing up most of the time on an atv and that makes a big difference on either one. On an atv the stock tire usually ride smoother than the aftermarket 6ply tires also. Many variables

·
Registered
22 Posts
air bags!!! i will try to get the link to you, someone makes small air bags for old ridged fram motorcycles seats, i have a friend that did his pegs too, on i hinge. worked great for a guy with broken back

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I have Polaris sportsman 400. Nice big soft seat. 4 wheel independent suspension. set the tires at 4 psi and its like riding on 4 marshmallows....a lot easier on the back then the tw....

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
its like riding on 4 marshmallows...
+1 love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts